millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

I wasn’t a huge fan. Though your mileage may vary.

At that kind of price, yeah.

The best non-spoiler review I can give you is its Rucka, Robinson, Gates and Johns spinning this epic tale that builds logically and then, right when it should get incredibly good, DC told them to get rid of it all quick.

Well your mileage and mine are pretty much in sync when it comes to the big guy, so maybe not so much.

It did seem to get a little crazy towards the end there.

Ironically, it’s probably the Mon El stuff that interests me the most. That stuff seems most like classic Starman era Robinson; rather than Geoff Johns lite Robinson.

Off the top of my head, it’s been a while - the World of New Krypton was superb, the Mon story was great, Action Comics lost the plot in its second half - unusual for Rucka - and then they got told to finish it off sharpish.

Had they not had that brutal wrap-up, they might have gone on to do the kind of stuff with Zod that Rebirth did with Lex.

Cheers, Ben. I was surprised that Rucka was involved in this sort of epic superhero story; it didn’t really seem to fit with his normal style. Maybe that’s why he couldn’t really stick the landing. Would it be possible to read the Robinson books without Action Comics or Supergirl? Or are they too closely interrelated?

No, each pursues its own story - Rucka’s first AC half is excellent, it’s the second half that didn’t, but he has no such problems on the New Krypton book.

I really recommend Supergirl - Gates did some really good work with the character.

I’m trying not to say too much about how it all concluded but if you want a more spoiler take, I can supply that.

Rucka also fell out with DC after that if I get my timing right and didn’t work for them again for years. So maybe the end is not what he wanted to write entirely.

It started out really well across the line then the editorial interference that destroyed DC and chased off all the talent got its claws in and fucked it all up

I thought his falling out was more to do with messing with what he could and couldn’t do with Batwoman.

Wasn’t that JH Williams III? Rucka started that run but was long gone by then. JH walked because they wouldn’t let Batwoman marry.

Rucka had already bowed out and left it to Williams over some similar interference and getting jerked around at DC.

http://comicsalliance.com/greg-rucka-finished-at-dc-off-batwoman-wondercon/

Both I think.

http://comicsalliance.com/greg-rucka-finished-at-dc-off-batwoman-wondercon

Edit: sorry, cross-posted with Ronnie!

Good point, a little searching actually has him in Mark’s Clint magazine and his complaints were many. Ignoring his trade sales, moans at Dan Didio specifically who promised he’d never cancel Gotham Central and did. Looks like a lot of things.

Working my way through this month’s previews and there’s a lot of great stuff solicited.

Didn’t realise that Black Label stuff would be broke into issues. Batman: Damned is a 3 issue prestige series. I’m not sure what to do here, as much as I miss the prestige format, I’m at an age where it’s easier to read collections. But I don’t want to wait a year to read it!

Also, I’ve just ordered a print copy of Border Town, after hearing about the abuse and threats Eric M. Esquivel has been getting online.
I can’t stand people being told what they can and can’t write stories about. It’s 2018 for fucksake and we are still censoring art. I did the same with Chaykin last year.

If there’s anything that’s guaranteed to make me pick up a book it’s a bunch of pricks trying to get people to boycott it.

I’ll buy this is in print and digitally and if it’s good enough I’ll probably get the trade.
I wasn’t even that fussed when I originally read about it as an upcoming book.

There’s 3 sales this book maybe would not have got. If im thinking this way I’ve got to imagine others have resolved to buy a copy as well.

I read the first salvo of it and was pretty invested. I never finished it for some reason, and the amount of spinoffs seemed a tad ridiculous. So all I can really say is that it got off to a good start.

Thanks, all, for the opinions. I’ve decided to give it a pass. I worked out that, even with the 60% off, the whole saga would still cost me £52 digitally. For something that I might end up hating in the end. Not worth the risk.

I might just catch up with King’s Batman instead, given the twist of #50 I’m actually quite keen to see how this plays out.

Or Robinson’s Wonder Woman, which I hear has been quite entertaining.

Or Hitch’s Justice League.

Or Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps.

Or …

There are quite a few DC books that I still want to read, even after buying a lot of stuff from them religiously since Rebirth. They’ve definitely been doing something right.

Ouch, that is a bit too hefty for a gamble.

Coming in October…

DEATHSTROKE/YOGI BEAR SPECIAL #1
Written by FRANK TIERI
Art by MARK TEXEIRA
cover by TYLER KIRKHAMvariant cover by PAOLO PANTALENA
In Yellowstone Park, legends speak of a spirit bear referred to as “the Yogi,” which few if any have actually encountered. Real or not, when a bear seems to have graduated from stealing picnic baskets to kidnapping actual campers, Ranger Smith decides it’s time to stop this menace—so he calls on the services of Slade Wilson—a.k.a. Deathstroke—to get the job done.