millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

We’re still talking about Superman’s erection, right?

https://www.quora.com/How-would-you-write-Batman-as-a-villain

Yep, and it’s happened before quite a lot with Murphy’s books in the past that a HC has followed later on. His art really justifies it.

Or maybe he’s just an ex-spook putz?

When the titular anti-hero accidentally breaks the DC Universe, it’s up to her to put it back together again by fixing all the continuity errors she made. Luckily, Harley’s going to have help from none other than Jonni DC, Continuity Cop!

Jonni only ever appeared in Ambush Bug stories. In 1986’s Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer, she was seen digging up heroes to verify their deaths, noting a back-log in such work since the recent Crisis on Infinite Earths while in 1992’s Ambush Bug Nothing Special, she’s fallen on hard times, forced to sell knock-off Eclipso diamonds to survive.

She was also killed in Ambush Bug, Year None.

Goddang it, no one in comics stays dead.

Well WW is next to him and Harley is in front of him

Agent Wallace has already responded. :wink:

Heroes In Crisis definitely has my attention. It feels like it could be in the same vein as Identity Crisis. Which is a series that has problems, but I enjoyed anyway.

Dan Abnett’s Aquaman is proving itself to be one of the great DC runs of Rebirth and one of the best Aquaman runs ever.

This is all reinforced by the Mera Queen of Atlantis mini series where Abnett has brought into play a Game of Thrones style story of warring factions and politics, which is worthy companion to the main series, but also in the fleshing out of Mera and, quite amazingly, Orm - it stands on its own two feet as a worthy series in itself.

Essential reading for those of you following Aquaman.

After a slow start to the first 6 issues, Dan Abnett has pulled off something approaching and epic, I do hope this sells enough to keep running and that Abnett has 80 - 100 issues planned.

This could turn into THE definitive Aquaman run, its well on its way.

I read the final issue of No Jusitice and upon reflection it’s a pile of horsehit.

There’s some moments in there, but the whole nonsense with the trees and entropy and all that shit just didn’t reasonate with me in any way at all.

I know we have spoke about this before but I don’t think Snyder does this stuff well at all.
The other poor aspect of it is that the characterisation was all a bit random and the interactions with each other pretty boring. It felt very rushed. And the direction they are going feels a little off the wall.

His Batman run started really well but in the end some of the ideas just never hit home and the Mr Bloom arc was really boring.

Metal again started great, it was so exciting and different for the first few issues, but it never met that promise and to this day I don’t really understand what it was about and the whole Metal thing turned out to be a shit idea in the end, he didn’t make it work.

The same again for No Justice. I can kinda see what he was trying to do, but I found it impossible to care, despite some good stuff with Olly/Waller and also Starro and dox .

Snyder is being mis-used at DC just now. This stuff is not his strong point. Maybe it’s just down to personal taste but I’m going to need to hit the reset button with myself before I read Justice League 1.

I think Robert mentioned the other day that Snyder has excelled at stories that are more rooted in horror. I don’t follow all his stuff, but what I have read of his recent Batman and Metal work seems to show him leaning towards more outlandish and wildly imaginative stories, similar territory to some of Grant Morrison’s cosmic DC stuff at times.

I agree that it doesn’t seem to be his strong suit - I thought his Batman run tailed off a bit towards the end, All-Star Batman didn’t grab me and Metal (although I’ve only read the first half of it) seems to be a bit of a mess of ideas.

I wonder to what extent the subject matter is driven by his artists - Capullo seems to enjoy coming up with crazy designs and doing big wild action, so maybe Metal went in that direction for that reason.

Either way, I’ll be looking forward to the new Wytches when it comes out but I’m going to be a bit more choosy about his DC stuff for now.

Give Justice League #1 a try before you make a call. As I said above, it’s much more Batman than Metal or No Justice (neither of which I really enjoyed).

I did but I’m definitely not the first person to say that.

Morrison and Hickman can do that level of crazy. In both cases their work reads as if they have an ending in mind and work backwards from there, whereas Snyder reads as if he has a good setup in mind and then about halfway in it start to feel like he’s making it up as he goes along.

Morrison has talked about his stories in musical terms, using the analogy of jazz musicians improvising but within a fixed structure. So I think you’re right, he has a general idea of the whole thing from the off, but leaves room for spontaneity and changes to the plan along the way.

(A good example is that he originally planned to kill off Damian at the end of his first Batman arc, but enjoyed writing him so much and thought there was such potential there that he kept him around a lot longer. Which is a fairly big change, but one that he was able to fit around his existing ideas.)

The Mr Bloom arc was terrible. I enjoyed Gordon as Batman but the rest of that was a good idea that didn’t pan out.

I don’t think you’ll like Justice League at all. Try it out to be sure but I’m willing to bet you won’t like it.

Yeah, the first issue of his JL was just boring…but this second one is bordering on nonsense.

Okay, if anybody wonders why my pull list has dwindled to near zero, here’s a symptom.

DC dudes: the word is “entropy”. Learn it, live it, love it.

I think for Morrison it’s less about a defined structure and more about a theme (which is how it is for jazz improve as well). He’s a theme first writer, which I don’t think is true of most writers but the only way I can see myself to doing it.

Hickman is much more about a specific story architecture, not necessarily formal structure but you can see he’s thinking in graphs and charts (which makes sense as he’s a graphic designer). He has a very developed sense of where things are going to fall, and when, which lets him create fairly intricate plots. Morrison is much, much looser. Final Crisis, for instance…the book he sold to DC is not the book that he delivered. Almost anything is up for change at anytime, and his scripts are super loose at first, he rewrites almost everything after the art comes back.