millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

I didn’t even read this before I posted - snap!

From Simone, I’ll pick Wonder Woman only. Her Birds of Prey was so so, but A Death in the Family bad. I am not sure what qualifies as “women comic”; maybe all female creating team what 2000ad is doing now.

Not counting Wonder Woman as one of DC’s important titles is part of the problem, too.

(No matter what DC does with Wonder Woman, she never really reaches the top of the chart. Azzarello does a critically-acclaimed New 52 series, and that doesn’t garner near as much interest as Snyder’s Batman. You had Jodi Picoult, Allan Heinberg, and Simone writing her in succession at one point, and that wasn’t enough.)

Not a big fan of his Batman but I love everything else he wrote.

Good. Love his art, but the guy’s online antics are…off-putting.

Interesting. Cyberfrog was supposed to restart as a Wildstorm title several years ago just before that line was killed.

He’s easy to rile up.

I really like Gail Simone but she is similar to someone like Garth Ennis where her wicked sense of humor is her biggest strength so you don’t necessarily want her on your big name, PG rated characters. Not that she’d do a bad job but it’s just not her strength.

Following an appearance Tuesday on NBC’s Late Night With Seth Meyers by writer Tom King, the publisher has announced King’s next project: the seven-issue Heroes in Crisis, illustrated by his Batman collaborator Clay Mann, with colors by Tomeu Morey and letters from Clayton Cowles. The series will delve into the Sanctuary concept King first mentioned in January — a trauma center for superheroes, founded by Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

Heroes in Crisis, the title of which plays on the DC tradition of stories with the word “Crisis” in their name (Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour: Crisis in Time, Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis, to name just four), will trace what happens when Sanctuary fails to adequately provide for its patients and what happens in the aftermath. Described by DC as a murder mystery, the series will feature Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Harley Quinn and Booster Gold as lead characters.

“I feel like I’m part of a rolling generation of people who spent their twenties overseas fighting terrorism," King — a former CIA counterterrorism officer — said in a statement. “Millions of people cycle through that machine and come home to America. And I think that sort of experience of violence is shaping who we are as a culture, and as a country. And I want to talk about that. I want to talk about that experience, the experience of what violence can do to a person, to a community, to a nation, to a world.”

He continued, "If I could do anything to the [DC universe], it would be to bring a sense of community of superheroes and people. I feel a duty to talk about what violence does to a society through the comics I’m creating.”

I agree with him. That this is important. It is something that should be talked about. I’m just not sure that using Superman and Batman is the best way to go about it.

After Mister Miracle I can’t help but doubt that this will be anything more than an incredible mess.

Rare that I watch, let alone post, an episode - but this seems to address a whole bunch of topics we’ve been talking about here. Hitch on Hawkman, Gail Simone, Tom King, Mechad Brooks trying to be likable, DC’s next giant mess … er, mash-up… crossover … what. ever!

What happened with all the fun?
If King wants to adress these issues, he better find, try… argh… whatever. I justi don’t think, no, it’s my firm belief that readers don’t wanna be lectured. There is plenty of violence in superhero comics, but trying to make something out of it, is just waste of time. And mess.

Not sure how I feel about this one. King’s Mister Miracle has been fantastic and deconstructs the feelings of depression and post traumatic stress through the window of a superhero comic. I’m curious if something similar works with more mainstream superheroes.

I’d like to think that premise would probably work better as a creator-owned concept.

We need more violence in comics. Ennis, Millar, Ellis - those guys understood. If you don’t have the violence in your comics, you’ll have it in your streets!

Trigger warning!

I’m more concerned that, like with Mister Miracle (and what I’ve heard from responses to his Booster Gold story in Batman), that this is just an excuse to whinge characters as a sort of allegorical self-appraisal.

Which…hasn’t been good. At all so far.

You need to lay off the crack pipe, bro. Mister Miracle is comic book gold akin to another MM with Miracle in the title. :wink: