millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

With a goatee.

Or 'tache, 'tache also works.

Ah ok. In that case I stand corrected and retract my comments.

I was just thumbing through DC Nation #0 again and think I figured out who Clay Mann patterned his Joker after and it kind of works, Max Landis.

I just read the latest Wonder Woman (#46) and I have to say I saw part of the problem. Wordiness or not there is a double page spread of Jason walking into a prison, then saying hello to another character. That’s 10% of the comic for something that could easily be told in two panels. It’s not at all visually dramatic so I don’t know why it earns the spread.

Batman: White Knight 1-8 - I’m not sure how much Murphy has previously written (I’m aware of PRJ but I’ve not read it) but I thought I’d give this a go as I liked his art on Joe the Barbarian. The art here is pretty great throughout, aside from the way he draws pointy noses much like Matteo Scarlera which I hate. The action scenes are particularity epic and well thought out. I’d bought and read the first 2 issues and then stockpiled everything until the final issue hit so I could read in one go. I was fairly pumped after those 2 issues as I felt it would be an interesting read but sadly it went downhill from there. I can’t get behind any book that has The Joker, or in this case Jack Napier, as a ‘good’ guy and I’m not having any Joker/Batman team-up. I Just don’t want it in a Batman book. There is also too much, ‘heh it’s Napier, oh wait now it’s The Joker, Napier again, hold up Joker again’. That trope got yawn inducing fast. Add in the messy plot, two Harleys, Gordon flip flopping like a gymnast and a superfolous side plot involving Alfred, Bruce’s parents and Mr Freeze and it seems that Murphy is far from the finished article as far as writing goes. It’s just too inconsistent and all over the place. That being said, it’s not bad and I’m glad I read it. I’d give it a solid 6.5/10. Oh course what that actually means is that you should all rush out and buy it straight away!

I’m not sure why you’d read a comic that was advertised as Jokers the good guy and Batman the villain if you don’t like that kind of story.

I didn’t really know I didn’t like it until after I’d read it. After a couple of issues I hoped Joker/Napier would quickly get rumbled and I wasn’t fully aware of the story being ‘Batman is the villain’.

To a large extent the comic shops are the customers. There are so many titles out there the shops have to pick and choose what to order, so it makes sense that they would be communicating to Marvel and DC what is and isn’t selling, and why. And if the companies aren’t responding to their private communication going public is a way to get their attention. An initiative like Legacy or this one failing is a speed bump for the Big Two, but it could be fatal for a shop.

And on non-returnable basis!

For the last six months the videogame industry has been ablaze in the wake of the loot box controversy, but the comics industry pretty much requires comic shops to buy on a loot box basis - here, buy these titles and hope they sell.

He wrote Punk Rock Jesus, which looked great (obviously), but also had pretty poor writing IMO.

Not related to DC, but Marvel just took a step back from this, no longer requiring shops to meet certain levels of orders to get variants:

That is a major change - good to see.

Invoking Miller was not a random choice; the iconic creator is writing his first full Superman project, Superman: Year One, for the imprint, with John Romita Jr. illustrating. Also on tap are Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo, reteaming for Batman: Damned — which teams the Dark Knight with John Constantine for a story that tests the former’s sanity after the Joker is found dead — and, in her first major DC work, Bitch Planet and Pretty Deadly co-creator Kelly Sue DeConnick, partnering with Phil Jimenez for Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons, which tells the lost history of Wonder Woman’s people from their creation through the arrival of Steve Trevor on Paradise Island. (Jimenez’s promotional art for Wonder Woman Historia is in the video above.)

Other projects in the works for DC Black Label include the already announced John Ridley project The Other History of the DC Universe, a new Batman project from the best-selling creative team of Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo called Batman: Last Knight on Earth and the return of writer Greg Rucka to Wonder Woman, with a project set 20 years in the future under the working title Wonder Woman: Diana’s Daughter.

Each of the DC Black Label titles will be released in a format and schedule dictated by its creators and take place outside of the canonical DC Universe as seen in the regular comic book series, allowing creators to take full advantage of the creative possibilities on offer.

Sounds good. I like that the creators get to decide how it appears.

I’m definitely looking forward to DC’s Black Label. All the projects announced so far sound worth a shot.

Yeah the more I hear about this the better it sounds and it was already an exciting announcement.

This is definitely a step in a good direction for DC and it’s something along the lines of what I think most fans have wanted for a while.

Yeah I don’t want to be negative but I think they did kind of mess up with New Age of Heroes as an artist led line where by issue 2 or 3 the artist is off the book. Good intentions no doubt but with this one operating at their own schedules it should have none of those problems.

It’ll also increase their dominance of the trade market as this is the kind of material that just sells and sells for decades (not that all will be a success most probably but I think a fair chunk will).

I don’t think I’ve ever bought a WW book but I may change that just to see the Phil Jimenez art.

The Sandman books finally have artists:

The Dreaming, written by Simon “Si” Spurrier (Motherlands) and illustrated by Bilquis Evely (Wonder Woman).

House of Whispers, written by Nalo Hopkinson (Brown Girl in the Ring) and illustrated by Dominike “Domo” Stanton, a graduate of DC’s Talent Development Workshop who previously worked as an illustrator on FX shows like Archer, Chozen, and comics like DMC.

Lucifer, written by Dan Watters (Limbo) and illustrated by brothers Max and Sebastian Fiumara (Four Eyes).

Books of Magic, written by Kat Howard (An Unkindness of Magicians) and illustated by Tom Fowler (Rick and Morty).

Worth noting that Tom Fowler, while credited here for Rick & Morty, did the comics art in Tom King’s novel A Once Crowded Sky.