millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

Go read Brave & Bold.

I have it waiting in my unread pile :slight_smile:

brave_and_the_bold_bronze_age_omnibus_vol_1_thumb

You might like Liam Sharp’s current run. All about Irish mythology, with Diana and Bats.

Apparently all DC books are going up to 3.99.

It was good while it lasted.

I’m surprised they held out as long as they did. To be honest, I doubt it will affect what I read. I’ve been trimming more in regards of only caring to read stuff I’m really interested in rather than price lately.

Interesting. I need to think if I’m enjoying Batman enough to keep reading it twice monthly at that rate, particularly with the slew of intriguing books debuting this summer. Just in the interest in keeping my budget down. I think I’ll likely drop it after the wedding, and look for Comixology specials if I hear it gets really great.

This bit was interesting:

Neither DC’s “New Age of DC Heroes” or its kids titles will be affected by the increase for now. The ‘New Age of DC Heroes’ titles - Curse of Brimstone, Damage, Immortal Men, New Challengers, Sideways, Silencer, The Terrifics, and The Unexpected - remains at $2.99, following significant promotion for that line at the $2.99 price point and without variants.

Last week, DC dropped complimentary digital codes previously included in all physical titles priced at $3.99.

How have the “New Age of DC Heroes” books been selling?

Badly, at least at The Big Bang:

Yeah I mean it was 7 years ago when the Nu52 launched and we had ‘holding the line’, some prices were $3.99 for several years before that. Inflation means inevitable there’s a point they’d have to go up.

It won’t affect the comics I really like but I do set myself a certain budget, stuff on the bubble may be dropped.

Personally, I hate a long single-issue read, unless it’s really engaging. Older material does tend to take longer to read, but it’s not because they’re telling a better story. I find storytelling on the whole to be a lot better in the modern era. The price is the price. If I have the money (that’s my only concern), and if I want to read something I see no reason to quibble. But then I also like a good bargain, so if I have to catch up years later with something, it’s all the same to me if I can get it for cheap. But there I have to depend on the vagaries of availability. It makes for exciting hunting. I never got into collecting comics as an investment. I see that as an entirely separate hobby. So it also sucks to see back issues for more, but I’ll pay if that’s the only way to get them, to read them.

Whereas for me, a really short read is automatically unengaging. I can’t get intellectually or emotionally involved in something that passes in the blink of an eye. I need things I can concentrate on, see depth in, and generally… engage with for a satisfying period of time.

Which isn’t to say the current Wonder Woman story is a bad story. Maybe if I were to spend half an hour reading all five (I think) parts I would come away very impressed with its depth and cleverness. (And I think Robinson is a generally good writer, so there’s a very good chance that would be true.)

But it’s still a bad issue (in my opinion) when all it has is fight, no substance, turn page, fight, no substance, turn page, finish.

I think DC saw that the initiative wasn’t having the impact they wanted early on. It seems like they’ve pulled back quite a bit on it and even pulled people who were advertised as key players and already put them on other books like Tony Daniels.

It’s funny how that works, how sometimes seeing the whole story makes it feel so much more rewarding, when it seems less so in single issue releases. I underestimated my interest in Joe the Barbarian throughout the release of the original issues. It wasn’t until I went back and read the collection that it occurred to me how much I loved it. It took a few issues for me to realize how much I cared about Jeff Smith’s RASL and G. Willow Wilson’s Air. There are some comics I know I love right away, and some that take a little time.

But as far as quick reads go, if there’s enough impact in the issue, if, again, the storytelling is there, I much prefer spending a few minutes on it. When I worked at a bookstore, someone tried scoffing at J.K. Rowling’s Tales of Beedle the Bard because of how short it was, how quick he’d been able to read it. Well, its length was never really the point. I love that Rowling did that book. It may not be essential to the Harry Potter story but it’s essential to the overall experience, adds more than her two previous charity short works, the textbooks.

If a comic reads long, I grow resentful if it’s just a lot of busywork filling the story, and too often that’s exactly what it is. The writer didn’t really know how to tell the story, so they just yammered for pages and pages. The British explosion era gave comics a better grasp of storytelling, and that’s the real hallmark of Watchmen, because it’s the most deliberate and famous example of thinking out why the elements are there and what they’re supposed to accomplish. The biggest moment, for me, in that story will always be Laurie finding out Comedian was her father. That’s what Ozymandias thinks he’s accomplishing, something beautiful from something ugly, but clearly he doesn’t understand it, and that’s what Doctor Manhattan becomes disgusted about, the human predilection to misunderstand why things happen. He sees it as futile to try and intervene, because then he becomes more like Ozymandias and less like Laurie, and that’s horrifying to him.

(Hmm, I think I just talked myself into loving Watchmen again.)

I’m not sure moaning Big Bang about this stuff and spreading negativity on twitter is a good way to increase sales.

There’s a lot of this now. Comic shops blaming the big two and complaining about their books - do they not realise they are part of the industry as well?

It sounds like readers just didn’t respond to the books.

I wonder if DC releasing them in a relative cluster hurt the sales? It sounds like they may have cannibalized each other’s sales. I think Marvel and DC hurt themselves at times by releasing groups of books, especially new concepts, so close to each other. They don’t give them the individual books space to find an audience and they get lost in the noise of the other series.

Yeah, I think there is definitely an element of that.

It felt like a bit too much - although it was quite exciting trying them all.
But quite a tall order to find the time and money to read them in addition to all the other stuff.

I really like The Terrifics and I enjoyed the Immortals a fair bit and I’ll keep buying Silencer.

Profile is the only thing that I can see has changed with Twitter and the internet with regard to comic shop owners getting pissed off with Marvel and DC. Why?

Because Marvel and DC too often act as if a supply of comic shops to sell their product - an undertaking that no one goes into to get rich - is guaranteed. This extends to being so, regardless of anything they do. Brian Hibbs has been at this for a good few years, it ain’t new.

The only real mystery here is how such a dysfunctional industry, where it seems just about every part doesn’t give a crap about the other parts, has survived for so long.

It probably needs more context, usually every Monday Bruno goes through the sales of all their books. So split off like that it just looks like a moan but it’ll follow 50 other tweets on all the books that are doing great.

Who’s Bruno? Is he related to Burno?

He’s his evil twin brother.