millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

It seems that the last possible Batman story in any version is how he stops being Batman. Even King has been writing that since he came aboard. It’s the most fascinating thing that can be done with a superhero. We tend to want them to be one forever, and no one seems to epitomize the inability to do so more than Batman. Which then makes it the most irresistible Batman story. That’s why Morrison’s concluding thought always seemed so disappointing. I’ve gone back and forth on it, and I think once again I wish he’d gone just a little further.

The ending wasn’t just about Bruce no longer being Batman, but that Batman would always be there for Gotham. That’s why the end included Gordon on top of the police building with the Bat-signal.

No Justice just keeps sounding better and better.

But that’s not a special case for Batman stories, it’s true of all heroic fiction. King Richard returns to England, Camelot passes, Superman exposes himself to gold K and marries Lois. Everything that ends must end with the protagonist no longer being the protagonist.

That is true, for folks like King Arthur, Robin Hood. You know, the big guns. That’s how you know people really care about the character. But “The Last Superman Story” is far, far less common. There’s Moore’s “Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?,” but even that was more of a lark, a closing of the Silver Age, than anyone ever really embracing it in the same context as Dark Knight Returns. Even Scott Snyder has a Last Batman Story! And maybe for that very reason (it’s his clone story), that’s why it seems to me his real shot at an enduring story, of everything he’s done so far, and hopefully he’ll get the rest of it told soon, because I’ve been eager to read that for years (I think I read that it was split off from All Star Batman).

Although technically, I guess Kingdom Come is a Last Superman Story, and a damn good one at that. Maybe that’s how there’s going to be a revival of interest in it, because it really deserves one.

There are tons of “Last Superman” stories. All Star Superman is one of those, DC One Million kind of contains a lot of that, Where Is Thy Sting, etc.

One of the great critiques of Superman is that he’s most interesting at the beginning and at the end, which is why you get so many origins and so many deaths. (unlike Batman, who has a more obviously extendable second act).

EDIT: To be clear, I don’t necessarily agree with this critique and feel that there is TONS one can do with Superman without breaking/killing him. It’s a misunderstanding of what Superman is, not drama but myth, and a misunderstanding of where then the drama comes from in his stories. Hit me up DC!

There’s also several littered through the years of normal publication along with one in the upcoming Acton Comics #1000. You get more if you count the Superman archetypes like Mr. Majestic in that.

Yeah, I try NOT to count the archetypes because then it gets nutty, and I assumed Action 1000 is what prompted the discussion – the King/Mann story (which has been published online for free in case anyone didn’t see it) is just that (and, to some criticism, almost identical to the planned ending to the Gaiman/Buckingham Miracle Man series).

If that’s the case, it shares similarity to several other last stories including Moore’s last Mr. Majestic story in WildStorm SpotLight.

I enjoyed that story a lot.

Me too.

I love that one, but it’s not nearly as similar.

Specifically, the ending is two characters talking on the dead planet earth as the last sunrise comes up (which is almost identical to the King/Mann story, but which I am still 100% sure is just a coincidence because these are pretty iconic elements)

Argh. They finally brought back Donna and Wally and reunited the Titans but now Abnett’s Titans are dumping everyone but Nightwing.

Also operating out of the Hall of Justice will be a new incarnation of Titans, written by Dan Abnett. Described by Snyder as “the Justice League’s AAA farm team,” the team is led by Nightwing and Raven and includes Beast Boy, Steel, and Ms. Martian.

I happen to think Donna is a great character but no one seems to want to write her and I am willing to bet that “Flash War” will end up sidelining Wally as well.

this article’s images are confusing. It has Flash leading a team with Cyborg & Raven with JLDark but this article has her with the Titans

I think the NO JUSTICE teams (the Brainiac teams) form the nucleus for, but are different than, the final teams. My sense is that Brainiac gets defeated in the weekly, but they see that it’s a good idea and make their own alterations.

I thought Brainiac was their ally in this.

Im probably confused then

Justice League Odyssey, in which Cyborg, Starfire, Azrael, Jessica Cruz, and Darkseid (yes, Darkseid) explore the universe in one of Brainiac’s old head ships with flames painted on the side.

Darkseid is the ally. Brainiac is just the one who provides their transportation.

I was talking about No Justice not the follow on. Brainiac is supposedly the one that tips them off to the coming danger.