millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

Rick Vietch had one of the most inventive super-detectives with his Question series in comics. At heart, Ditko’s heroes are strangely compelling because they embrace their innately criminal nature.

Killjoy is probably my favorite. I’m surprised DC hasn’t done a series out of him since he was Deadpool meets Spider-Man before Deadpool even existed.

Maybe Killjoy wasn’t a part of the original Charlton deal but I was pretty sure he was an influence on The Comedian.

That was an amazing book. Such fond memories of it.

I thought Bendis coming to DC was a perfect time to resurrect - although they’d need to make a decision on whether to use Montoya or not.

Yeah, DKSA was superb. I think the problem with that book was that it didn’t meet preconceived expectations of the audience at the time, being rather different from DKR.

I haven’t read Detective Comics, but Williamson and Tynion’s other DC work has been really bland I thought.
Which is why I haven’t read Detective Comics.

Much like Chris, I think Detective Comics has been the best superhero book of the last couple of years. I was luke warm on Tynion’s work beforehand myself, but he really stepped up on this book. I think it helps having a pre-existing fondness for the 1990’s Bat characters, as these are clearly some of Tynion’s favourite characters too.

I haven’t read enough of Williamson’s work to have an opinion, but I didn’t like “The Button”.

The Flash has been in a huge slump since Williamson got onto it.
I didn’t like Venditti’s run but at least it felt like it had energy behind it.

But…that sounds promising on Tynion’s part then.

Have you read Memetic ?

(I know it’s non DC, but just wondering)

Nope, but if it’s not DC then I’ll give it a shot.

It’s from Boom, part of a thematic Trilogy he has done with Erik Donovan

The problem with DKSA is that The Dark Knight Returns was designed to be the last Batman story, so a sequel doesn’t really fit.

I don’t think that affected the reception one way or another

As soon as the sequel is announced that becomes moot.

It’s partly the pages leading up to that moment that make it work so well.

Again, it’s using that big, bold full-page sequential style that you see a lot of in Sin City. There’s quite a lot of Sin City’s DNA in Dark Knight Strikes Again in general, I think.

I’m making my way through this Detective Comics run and I’ll chime in. It’s not reinventing the wheel and I don’t love it as much as Vik and Chris but I see why they love it and I think it’s very strong, very solid superhero comics. I’m really enjoying it.

I suggest checking out the first arc at the very least. Maybe you won’t want to continue but I don’t think you’ll consider it a waste of time.

Edit- this was intended for Tom but also really anyone

Yeah, the first arc is excellent…

The second, well, non-spoiler, it can really immerse you and get some strong reactions which is a form of testimony to it.

All the comments here also suggest Tynion really followed through on the consequences too, which encourages me to continue getting the Deluxe editions.

Except it ended with discovering that Batman had faked his death. If it had ended with a real death, that would have been a closed ending. Anything with an open ending (and I’m looking at you, Watchmen), if it doesn’t eventually get a sequel, it’s a huge missed opportunity, and really, a narrative cheat. And he lived to fight another day! Well, and so wasn’t that really just saying that the entire preceding story was about him coming to terms with everything? Finally getting past all the angst? And really, wasn’t Grant Morrison’s whole Batman saga a response to this? It’s such an intriguing proposition. Why not find out what happens next?

See I liked that about Rise, that it actually had Bruce walk away from all this crazy crap he’d got himself into.

Nolan’s Bat-epic only one Bat-epic, there’s loads of others.

I agree. That’s a form of closure for the story, and a proper ending, without necessarily requiring a death. It’s a more mature ending than a lot of superhero stories manage.

Of course, it left open the notion of Robin taking over, that the idea of Batman can be eternal and persist even without Bruce. But even that works as an ending of sorts, in that it implies an endless cycle that we don’t really need to see.

I think Bruce walking away from being Batman would have worked better as an ending if he hadn’t just spent a decade not being Batman.

I don’t know, it’s pretty similar in that way to DKR the comic, and I thought that worked fine.

In both, he gives it up at the end for very different (and more positive) reasons to the reasons he gave it up the first time.