millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

I assumed they’d provide that, to be fair to them they did the same when Star Wars switched across from Dark Horse to Marvel, that everything purchased stood.

After years of wanting to check it out, I finally had the opportunity to read Grant Morrison/Mark Millar’s Swamp Thing run, followed by Mr. Millar’s conclusion to the series.

I just wanted to say I thought it was amazing, and a perfect end to the character. Years ago, I came across the Alan Moore run, and fell in love with the character and supporting cast, and the dark and magical world they lived in.

Over the years, I was able to find an occasional back issue for later writers on that particular incarnation of Swamp Thing… enough to be intrigued, but never enough to get the full story.

I picked up later versions, as DC tried periodic relaunches of the series… some were okay, some left me more than a little irritated with what they had done with one of my favorite characters, and none captured the magic of the Moore run.

Until this weekend, when I finally had the pleasure of reading the Morrison/Millar run in its entirety.

I loved it! The magic and creepiness were definitely there… I wasn’t thrilled that Swamp Thing was turning into some sort of emotionless monster. His humanity was one of the things I loved so much about the character during Moore’s run.

But then the way it came full circle… damn, that was great!!! Definitely a fitting end to one of the coolest comic characters I’ve ever read. Again, getting back to the humanity of Swamp Thing. That was perfect.

And little touches, too. John Constantine is another favorite when he’s done right, and Millar nailed it. And that whole damned priest/redemption of Arcane was brilliant.

Good stuff!

Wow. Action Comics #1000 looks like it’s going to be pretty incredible.

https://www.newsarama.com/38957-superman-says-goodbye-to-earth-in-king-man-s-action-comics-1000-story.html

That’s a helluva five pager.

This looks pretty incredible.

https://www.newsarama.com/38970-dc-launch-new-creator-driven-black-label-line-with-miller-deconnick-snyder-more.html

DC Black Label is scheduled to launch in August with the three-issue Superman: Year One by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr…

Other planned titles include: Batman: Damned by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo; Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Phil Jimenez; Batman: Last Knight on Earth by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo (Previously announced with Sean Murphy illustrating); Wonder Woman: Diana’s Daughter by Greg Rucka and an artist to be announced; and The Other History of the DC Universe by John Ridley and an artist to be announced.

Good line-up! And Doyle’s a good editor too.

DC feels really strong right now from their monthly books to their special features line up. This Black Label line sounds pretty great. I would pick up every book announced especially the Superman: Year One.

This sounds like what the All Star line was originally supposed to be.

Wasn’t Adam Hughes supposed to be working on an All Star Wonder Woman some time ago? If that is still going to happen, I can see that being put under the Black Label line.

More details on the books:

The last I heard that was no longer happening. The way I heard it put was that if Adam Hughes came to DC with a finished Wonder Woman story, they would likely publish it though.

Wow. Can’t wait to see more from these.

Every single one of those sounds great.

It could go either way depending on how inventive it is but “The Other History of the DC Universe” is certainly an interesting premise.

Was that already announced previously? I feel like I’ve read about it before.

Yup, in January:

https://www.newsarama.com/38161-john-ridley-to-explore-other-side-of-dc-history.html

I was thinking the same thing. But I don’t recall hearing it as part of a niche label. Still, I’m surprisingly intrigued by all of the titles. DC is really on fire now.

:open_mouth:

Just when you think you might stop buying comics…

Whoa, those Black Label books all sound pretty cool. I’ve been away from both the big 2 for at least 5 years now (probably closer to 7 or 8, honestly), but I think I might be diving back in to DC very soon.

The article said that some of them had been previously announced but were now being included in this imprint.

Led by former Batman group editor Mark Doyle, the DC Black Label imprint will is including previously-announced stories as well as some new projects as well.

It all sounds pretty great either way. I really like the idea of a prestige imprint for standalone stories like this, especially one that isn’t particularly beholden to continuity. It’s the kind of idea we’ve kicked around a few times in the ‘fantasy CEO’/‘how would you fix…?’ threads in the past.