millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

Hard same. All the Morrison stuff was perfection

But the endless return is telegraphed in the book – and in final crisis with Martian mahunter (which was much more crass). I like that he acknowledges it.

Damian is a huge character – you can put him in all sorts of situations and he shines. He’d be great on a team book (I don’t read the current titans I’m speaking pure potential as I see it), he’s great against optimistic partners like dick and Jon (not read that book either but I know how I’d play it!), he’s damaged and desperate to achieve, raised in an environment with such a different code of ethics and behavior he’s practically an alien in human society.

No reason to keep him dead.

Well yeah. I object to the idea that Batman must be this brooding, developmentally frozen character, which is where I’d agree Rebirth has really succeeded. DC have embraced change for that and it’s really paid off.

The other reason I think it’s unfortunate Morrison decided to end his Batman run the way he did is his entire run, from the start, was about getting away from Bat-Crap. That was what had preceded it - A Batman who treated everyone like crap so frequently that they all legged it to get away from him!

This is an excellent way of putting it.

It was the Gleason Damian mini that you said was good.

Looks like this was the last time we had this discussion. Talk about the cyclical nature of superhero comics. :sweat_smile:

Oh yeah I loved that one (and completely forgot about it)

Much stronger voice for Damian.

I used to think Morrison ended Batman Inc. on a baffling note, but other than killing off Damian, he actually left on a hopeful one, where Batman despite this hugely significant loss wasn’t depressed about moving forward. He was actually eager! And that was kind of the whole point. Damian had given him new perspective, since in all relevant ways Damian was Batman if he’d somehow been able to begin his crusade immediately. He had the same impatient attitude toward justice that was always at the heart of the crusade, and he never had to wait, and he had that superior attitude toward everyone because like his dad he knew he was superior. So his death was like a new baptism, a final shedding of Batman’s tortured past, which was the whole point of Morrison’s run.

None of which is to say I regret that Tomasi literally undid all of that. I love what Tomasi did. When he got to pick up the reins of the Damian arc, I think he vastly improved its storytelling potential. For Morrison, Damian was little more than an idea, certainly a fascinating one, but just an idea, which was why he was so easy to kill off. To Tomasi, Damian burst with intrinsic potential. Even in Morrison’s Batman and Robin, it was never really Damian’s story. It was Damian being used against the idea of Batman, which conveniently happened with someone other than his dad under the cowl. Because that whole series wouldn’t have been possible with Bruce Wayne. It was basically Morrison acknowledging that Damian served a specific purpose, to be his father. Which is why there was that alternate future where he was, and once presented, had to be eliminated with his premature death. Because there can only be one Batman. Which is Scott Snyder’s one truly genius addition to the mythos, the clone thing, which I hope he really is returning to, as I believe I’ve heard, preferably with Sean Murphy returning on art.

With Tomasi, Damian got a chance to breathe, and Batman had a chance to be truly humanized, basically for the first time. Everything he’s doing with Superman now, that people are loving, he did first in the pages of Batman and Robin, and better, arguably.

I don’t agree with all of it but good discussion in here. I’m enjoying the read.

Yeah, it’s all there in what Bruce says to Gordon in the final issue: (paraphrasing) “I looked into the hole in things and saw nothing, and a space big enough to hold everything.”

The hole in things was the big recurring theme of Morrison’s run: Batman trying to control the uncontrollable–namely death (though not just that). The hole in things was the bullet hole in his mother’s coat, it was Simon Hurt, it was “Darkseid-shaped,” but even before all that, it was the well on the Wayne grounds where he saw the bats and understood for the first time that everyone will die. It’s the symbol of Bruce’s fear of meaninglessness.

Bruce’s ultimate reaction to Damian’s death shows how the events of Morrison’s run changed his perspective on the hole in things. He tells Gordon the murder of his parents convinced him it was too painful to love again, but after Damian’s death his faith in love isn’t shaken. That wouldn’t have been true had he not gone through the central Return of Bruce Wayne mega-arc where he turned the symbol of the night of Batman’s creation from the bat (death; fear; meaninglessness; a shade of Darkseid’s Hyper-Adapter) to the bell (he always had help; he was never alone).

And the likelihood of Damian coming back is the hopeful note Morrison chooses to end his run on. As soon as Bruce sees there’s hope of bringing Damian back (the empty grave), he goes back to being Batman. There’s also that bit about the British PM saying there’s another Lazarus Pit and then of course there are the Damian clones on the last page.

Bruce has the possibility of a second chance with his son, where he might finally do things right and overcome that last bit of fear that made him keep Damian at arm’s length. Personally, I haven’t felt the need to read any more current Batman books because I like that ending so much. I know the story’s gonna go on, I like that Morrison ended his part by leaving it up to the reader whether Bruce fully overcomes his fear of death and meaninglessness and becomes the father his son needs.

That’s really the best note a long run can instill in someone.

And given how uneven King’s run has been, probably a good decision.

For anyone still wondering about the end of The Killing Joke

“No one noticed”? The ambiguous end is as subtle as a sledgehammer to anyone that read it. It’s even been talked about here a ton.

That article is from 2013, even

Yeah, it’s not new, whatever the internet might tell you to the contrary.

What’s more it was also posted here back in 2013, to the same general response that everyone thought that anyway.

Yay Lee Weeks!

Brilliant to see them reunited again!

I couldn’t care less if I ever saw Mr Freeze again, same with the Ventriloquist, but love Lee Weeks’ work.

Same here, it’s Lee Weeks that’s the draw, the villain could be Captain Custard for all I care. :smile:

Dude, spoilers!