millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

Stuff like the integration of Promethea and Tom Strong and Watchmen into the DCU doesn’t really bother me these days, beyond a sort of eye-rolling acknowledgement that it’s an easy stunt and shows a bit of a lack of imagination.

In the end DC is a business, and it’s expected that they’ll exploit properties that they have the rights to, however ill-advised it might seem from a creative point of view.

Despite all the hubbub some years back over Before Watchmen, I found it was very easy to avoid altogether if you had no interest in it, and I’m sure the same will be true of these latest moves with the ABC characters. Maybe some people will want to read it out of grim curiosity, but that’s their choice if so.

And who knows, maybe there are some readers who will first encounter the characters through these new appearances, and will be encouraged to go back and discover some truly great comics.

I am curious what DC will do with Promethea, but I’m not going to torture myself by reading it.

But more to the point, Promethea as a concept, not her “completed story.” And that’s really been the problem, in the past quarter century. A lot of these new characters weren’t really created to be open source. They were created for a specific purpose with a specific story. And that’s what Watchmen perverted, not that it ushered in the “adult” comic, but that it suggested that the only way to tell a “modern” story was to remove the characters from a continuing narrative.

Even Majestic was like that. He was blatantly created to be a version of Superman, just as Supreme had been. Which was why Alan Moore was finally able to indulge his deep nostalgia for Silver Age Superman with him (which is also where Tom Strong came from, arguably a kind of Golden Age Superman, drawn from the pulp era).

Shazam really isn’t Superman. He’s his own character. Sort of Superman, but crossed with wish fulfillment, the thing Robin and Spider-Man fulfilled. And arguably, that’s what Shazam should always be. He should be more of a teen style character. A teenager is a kid pretending to be an adult. He would work extremely well in a crossover with the Ninja Turtles.

I think this is the key. Whether the new appearances will be good or bad, it should generate interest in previous material which might not have been noticed by a new generation.

Unless Orlando writes a surprisingly adept story, people who get into Promethea through his arc are in for a giant surprise. Woo, the Godhead issue still makes my head spin.

I want (nay, demand) my Wonder Woman/ Promethea crossover right now.

And if we can’t get Alan Moore to write it then Neil Gaiman. (May as well dream big…)

As long as JH Williams is drawing it, I’m sold.

Chuck Austen/JH WIlliams confirmed creative team.

I thought Igor Kordey was the artist and drawing all 12 issues in four days?

He won’t get hired until Williams is running late.

(But Kordey is actually a good, if stylised artist, he had less than a week to complete a couple of those X-Men issues)

I wish more of his work was available in English. He did some pages in Scalped #50 that were phenomenal. Even better than his work in Smoke.

I have Smoke and love the art in it, as well as the issues of X-Men he had time to actually draw.

What Archaia translated of The Secret History was superb, but they abandoned that series around the 2/3 mark. Think it was 32 albums but Archaia stopped at 20.

Damn shame because it was superb stuff:

Solicitations for April 2018 (w/Previews Text)

Hmm, if DC built in skip months into Doomsday Clock’s schedule, it’s surely a low blow for news sites to make a big deal of there being no issues of it on a skip month?

Is it a deliberate three-month gap between issues then? That’s surprising.

Dunno, was why I asked.

Meanwhile, this solicit sells me on Tec OHC2:

BATMAN: DETECTIVE COMICS: REBIRTH DELUXE EDITION BOOK 2 HC
Written by JAMES TYNION IV and CHRISTOPHER SEBELA
Art by MARCIO TAKARA, ALVARO MARTINEZ, CHRISTIAN DUCE, FERNANDO BLANCO, CARMEN CARNERO and others • Cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE
With Azrael and Batwing now on Batman’s team, will the Dark Knight’s squadron of crime-fighters be able to discover the League of Shadows’ plan? And what deadly personal secret will be unleashed on the team? Then, the Order of St. Dumas has unleashed a bizarre new evil on the world, and it’s convinced it must destroy Jean-Paul Valley!

EDIT: This one, due to the price hike to RRP $125, irritates:

BATMAN ’66 OMNIBUS HC
Written by JEFF PARKER, TOM PEYER, ART BALTAZAR, FRANCO, LEN WEIN, HARLAN ELLISON, MIKE W. BARR, RAY FAWKES and others
Art by JONATHAN CASE, TY TEMPLETON, RUBEN PROCOPIO, CHRIS SPROUSE, CHRISTOPHER JONES, MICHAEL AVON OEMING, DARIO BRIZUELA and others
Cover by MICHAEL ALLRED
Put on your go-go boots and get ready to “Batusi” as DC reimagines the classic Batman TV show! In these tales, the Dynamic Duo takes on the Riddler, Mr. Freeze, the Penguin, the Mad Hatter, The Joker and more of the world’s most colorful Bat-villains! And in BATMAN ’66: THE LOST EPISODE #1, an outline from the original TV series featuring Two-Face is adapted to comics for the first time! This new Omnibus collects BATMAN ’66 #1-30, BATMAN ’66: THE LOST
EPISODE #1 and a story from SOLO #7.
On sale AUGUST 8 • 928 pg, FC • $125.00 US

Though Amazon has it for £63.35 which ain’t bad, might be a good deal to preorder on:

EDIT 2:

ASTRO CITY #52
Written by KURT BUSIEK • Art by BRENT ANDERSON • Cover by ALEX ROSS
It’s the final issue of ASTRO CITY…for now. Michael Tenicek lost his world years ago. Now he may lose another, as ordinary life among the extraordinary takes a shattering turn. A character-focused finale to the ongoing Vertigo ASTRO CITY series, and a launch point for its new form. Guest-starring the Hanged Man, Honor Guard and more.
On sale APRIL 18 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T • FINAL ISSUE

No, no, bugger, bugger, bugger - OK, fine it’s doing a relaunch.

To be blunt it seems increasingly pointless. The first two issues are trying to be a Watchmen sequel (almost no DCU material).

I am right on the verge of dropping it. It’s technically good, Johns copies the 9 panel grid and Frank does an amazing job but none of the character motivations make any sense.

That Scooby-Apocalypse solicit is hopeful. Hope it means that they’ve settled the narrative back into a good place.