millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

Boo!

I am so conflicted right now :smirk:

Maybe this will help, from the article Eduardo linked to:

On top of that, DC veteran writer Marv Wolfman — who wrote the original mega-crossover superhero event series, 1985’s Crisis on Infinite Earths — will script a new Superman story based on previously unpublished art from Curt Swan. Swan is one of history’s most iconic Superman artists, giving the character his signature style throughout the so-called “Silver Age” of comic books — that would be the ’50s, ’60s, ’70s… basically everything up until Wolfman and artist George Pérez radically restructured the DC Universe with Crisis on Infinite Earths!

There will also be a story from Superman movie director Richard Donner and DC superstar Geoff Johns (who previously co-wrote issues of Action Comics together in 2006), alongside art from Olivier Coipel. The post-Rebirth Superman team of Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleason will also contribute stories to the book, along with current Action Comics writer/artist Dan Jurgens. Other creative teams include Paul Dini with José Luis García-López; Tom King with Clay Mann and Jordie Bellaire; Brad Meltzer with John Cassaday and Laura Martin; Louise Simonson with Jerry Ordway; Scott Snyder with Tim Sale and more to be announced.

The trunks don’t excite me or overly bother me. I honestly do prefer the suit without them. That creator lineup looks pretty amazing though. I’ll definitely look forward to that issue.

Yeah the issue looks like a proper celebration of the character, I’m really excited about it.

DC look to have pushed the boat out to cover all angles there.

I think it’s very exciting to get Bendis in for it, I’d buy it for that alone.
It’s very respectful getting Jurgens, Thomasi and Gleason on board, with them being responsible for the current fantastic runs.
The Swan and Wolfman angle covers off the old school angle and I think it’s fantastic they have some unpublished work of Swan’s to showcase here.

Then there’s a bunch of other top creators on top of that. It’s evident that they really care about honouring this massive landmark.

Agreed on all case. I think I’m most excited to see what Bendis does.

Donner, Johns and Coipel on a Superman story together sounds like DC have hit the top. They may as well just make #1,000 the last issue.

To be clear, everything about Action Comics #1000 fills me with joy. DC pissing off Williams (again) annoys me immensely. Hence “conflicted”.

Too bad Millar can’t write his epic story, though.

(I’ll never get over that :pensive:)

We’ll still get it. Just not anytime soon of course.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Oh, I really hope so.

Some ideas work better off in their own worlds. Wildstorm joining the DCU was a bad idea, although perhaps Midnighter works there (I know the Orlando run had a lot of fans). To me, merging the ABC universe with DC is just as dumb. I don’t get how people read comics that build their identities on being separate and then want to see the characters team up with Superman and Aquaman, etc. It’s like reading Preacher or The Invisibles and wanting to see Jesse and King Mob join the Justice League. It’s just gonna dilute what makes them special.

Well, DC’s been doing it for decades. Shazam, famously, was accused of being a Superman duplicate(ish), and…eventually was published alongside Superman. The Charlton characters Alan Moore was going to use for Watchmen (and sort of did anyway) ended up folded into the DC line (Moore was dissuaded from using them because…what he did to Batgirl he would’ve been doing to all those characters).

Yeah, but how many times has it worked? Captain Marvel is redundant in the DCU and they’ve never really known what to do with him. Blue Beetle, Question, and Captain Atom are solid B-listers. Same with Midnighter (maybe). I think the best you can hope for is a solid B-lister (Captain Marvel’s a fluke, and as I said, he’s never completely worked).

Aside from Midnighter, they were added when each universe was considerably smaller and wasn’t already stuffed with analogues and spinoffs of the main heroes. The Fawcett and Charlton universes also weren’t commentaries on anything, they were just stabs at new characters.

ABC will probably be another Wildstorm or Milestone where no one will know what to do with the characters after the initial push. Tom Strong has the most potential of the ABC characters to fit, but what makes him so cool is that he shares his insights with his city and the world; that’s never been mainstream superhero comics’ thing, because their worlds are always ostensibly supposed to be “our world” but with superheroes: same cars, same celebrities, same Presidents, same cultural touchstones, etc. You can’t have Tom Strong putting sci-fi gadgets in every home like Moore & Sprouse could. Putting him in the DCU would neuter him.

Top 10 is a non-starter. Promethea should have been a non-starter. I don’t see how she’s gonna work. After them, there’s the Tomorrow Stories crowd, who are probably too bizarre to work. Even when Moore was writing them they had a pretty low hit rate aside from Greyshirt.

I loved some of the First American stories. Moore has a good sense of humor. With a good writer I would be fine with DC using the Tomorrow stories crowd to do superhero pastiche.

I think there was also an ABC superteam that was assembled in Promethea that had a lot of those characters. I am not necessarily against DC using them, if they manage to get that humorous tone right.

Yeah, they teamed up with Tom Strong in the last Promethea issue. But Splash, First American, and Johnny B. Quick were pretty toned down (unavoidable as their own stories are basically MAD Magazine).

Good stories can be written about any of the ABC characters but you dilute them by putting them in the DCU. That, to me, says great stories are off the table–if the writers, editorial, or both can’t tell that the characters are diluted then how can their vision for them be anything special?

The Tomorrow Stories characters didn’t have a lot to them to begin with, though, so there wouldn’t be much to dilute. They might work, but I doubt it’d be worth the effort for DC as they’re not very well-known.

But it’s the concept that is taken out of a drawer. It doesn’t matter what was done previously. (Incidentally, this is consistently Alan Moore’s approach, too.) The point is, it’s being used, being seen again. And really, outside of a very small number of characters, the comics landscape is b-characters. To expect any given character to have an unbroken run in this business is to be constantly disappointed. You can look at just about any character. Punisher was literally bulletproof in the early ‘90s. But he eventually faded. He’s a b-character playing out on Netflix now because he failed spectacularly twice on the big screen. And anyway, when you’re talking about a whole line, that’s always going to be harder to integrate, and history certainly proves that. But to say Shazam hasn’t successfully integrated is doing the character a huge disservice. Majestic turned out the way you’re thinking. Shazam has a huge DC legacy. But again, even if at one time he was bigger than Superman, there’s only three characters in the DC landscape who have persisted as reliably as Superman, and Superman’s one of them. Of course Shazam isn’t at that level, in 2018.

Fair points about Shazam, but would he have been able to find an audience if DC had acquired Fawcett within the last 30 years?

I don’t think DC would bother bringing in Promethea or other ABC characters if they’re not gonna try and stick reasonably close to their original characterizations. It’d defeat the purpose of the stunt to have a character who’s Promethea or Tom Strong in name only. So the character ends up in this weird, not-quite-right mishmash where they’re caught between what worked about the original concept and the demands of their new setting. Anything’s possible but it’s only worked a few times, and only once recently. But Midnighter’s a Batman who kills–easy sell.

And isn’t in the closet