millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

Like the premise - unfortunately Ridley’s writing style in the American Way is not the most engaging.

That said, I’ll pick this up.

I’m not sure what to make of this new Age of Heroes line that’s coming out of Metal. The Terrifics looks like it could be a lot of fun; Challengers too. The rest I’m not feeling.

I loooove that DC is making a concerted effort to introduce new characters/concepts. Even if, ironically, some of them are clearly riffs on Marvel. It almost reads like really, really late payback for the dawn of the Marvel Age. They even have both the Challengers and the Fantastic Four, I mean Terrifics.

I saw the synopsis for the new Sideways book and had this thought. Could still be fun though.

It’s not the first time they did this deliberately. Lobdell’s Doomed was a clear homage to Spider-Man, New 52 OMAC was Hulk, and even the new reboot of Top Cat was Howard the Duck.

They should get all these characters together somehow…for some sort of Secret Crisis.

My feeling almost exactly. I’m glad they’re trying though.

I’m down for Immortal Men and Challengers, monthly. Will probably get Terrifics and Silencer in Comixology sales. Don’t particularly care about the others.

I agree completely. I’m looking forward to the Terrifics but to me there is a very 90s feel coming off the rest. And I don’t mean the good part of the 90s.

That’s what they’re going for, though, with this whole artists first thing.

Well I hope they aren’t specifically going for the bad parts of the 90s, but I get that.

I’ll be getting The Terrifics, and Challengers (still not solicited yet, or have I missed something?) as well as Immortal Men. Damage will be given a chance to impress.
The rest I have no interest.

Only a Bleeding Cool link at the moment, annoyingly:

At the DC in DC panel “The Aftermath: Battle & Trauma in Comics,” writer Tom King revealed a new upcoming project called Sanctuary about a place where DC heroes can go to deal with the trauma resulting from the violence they’re a part of on a regular basis.

“Every DC Comic is full of violence,” King explained at the panel. “It’s fun and exciting and I enjoy reading about that, but do we talk about the consequences of that, both on the characters and the readers, and they asked me to think about that and do something with it. And we are.”

“It’s called Sanctuary,” he continued. “We’re creating something where it’s sort of like a crisis center for superheroes. It’s gonna be DC-wide, all the superheroes, and it’s gonna be a place where these superheroes who are living violent lives every single day — Batman gets in a fight every single night, five times a night.”

I’ll check out any King book with an open mind but what a terrible concept.

Clearly King had a free pass to do pretty much what he wants, what basically no one else would be able to. I think this is right up his alley, a clear extension of his Batman and Mister Miracle. And will prove equally insightful, which is exactly the kind of stuff I like reading.

I’d agree that it’s the kind of concept that, when applied to superheroics, should be terrible but I’m not inclined to bet against King making this work.

No of course not, and I expect he’d have insights on PTSD with his military experience.

Do I really want a book about Batman with PTSD? Eh, it wouldn’t be my first choice.

Like I said I’ll read everything of his with an open mind though.

Exactly why I agree with @RobertB.
Mister Miracle has been horrible with this stuff.

If it’s anthological though, it might work. King works best in done-in-ones.

I think that’s going to be his reputation among some fans for sure, and that’s not a bad thing. I’m certain DC understands that, too, which is why they keep giving him those opportunities, too. I first noticed him in a done-in-one, Grayson: Futures End, which I think was his first solo credit, too.

I like the concept of this Sanctuary but agree it doesn’t exactly sound like something I want to pick up. Maybe in trade.

You’re just salty about their treatment of Orion. That book is gold.

While I wouldn’t normally be into the book described above, Mister Miracle is covering similar ground and doing it well.