millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

I try my best.

I am reading it, in a sort of train wreck way. Issue 2 was so weird, as trying to match Watchmen’s style with GJ’s resulted in an opening sequence so unnatural…

For once, it is making Before Watchmen retroactively better (??)

If you haven’t read it, that Lobo/ Road Runner one shot is definitely recommended. Jones’ artwork on that was amazing too.

I’ve got it under my bed with a bunch of other floppies I’ve not got to yet.

Trying to clear my comixology up to date then move onto them.

On that note, I’ve just read the first issue of batman: creature of the night by Busiek & JP Leon.

It’s very dark and I’m not 100% sure what’s going on, but I loved it.

Joe Kelly wrote some great comics, including my favourite Superman run on Action Comics.

After RIP and Final Crisis, when Grant Morrison officially made Damien Robin V, I was so pissed off at the jobbing of Tim Drake that I refused to even read the Red Robin series that came afterwards.

However, given his resurgence in Tynion’s Detective Comics I went and picked up the whole series during one of Comixology’s irregular BOGOF sales.

It actually was pretty entertaining. Yost and then Nicieza wrote a decent version of the character, that was at least consistent with previous portrayals. Marcus To’s artwork was nice, clean, good superhero art, suiting the style of stories perfectly.

The series builds the character back up, presenting Tim as pretty darn formidable, and unafraid to straddle the line between hero and villain that his mentor and other Robins would shy away from. Tynion’s clearly building on some of this characterisation in his recent 'Tec stories.

That being said, it still smarts that the character was cast aside like this. The stories never feel like they matter, and the book never feels more than a consolation prize.

The Red Robin series was actually a return to form for Tim. It was here he finally reunited with Stephanie Brown (a seriously more screwed over Robin), for instance. But from my perspective, Tim hadn’t really been relevant since Chuck Dixon stopped writing him.

Cross-posting from the Trades thread. :slight_smile:

It’s the version of the book that I speculated about - the original colours and the new ones, as well as all the extras from the existing HC.

At that price it’s not too steep for an Absolute-sized book either.

Reading JMS’s Superman:Earth One series…i can’t help but cringe when I see dialogue like this:

Corinna Bechko and Gabriel Hardman are taking a Ridley Scott influenced approach to Green Lantern.

They’re going to release four different versions, one with extra captions to explain everything, and all with different levels of ambiguity over whether Hal is actually a GL or not?

Ahhh man that series has a lot of really messy and off tone moments.
Also, terrible Lex Luthor.

Because “real people” wouldn’t talk like that?

I am dropping it after issue two. I am finding it completely daft, and not in a good way. Which we knew going in but I thought I’d give it a shot. It is unfortunately just too ridiculous, like Johns is cosplaying as Moore.

American superhero comics are possibly the last genre where that should be used as a criticism.

Today, DC announces Oscar-winning screenwriter John Ridley (12 Years a Slave, Let It Fall) will examine the DC mythology with a compelling new literary comics miniseries, THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE. The story will analyze iconic DC moments and chart sociopolitical gains through the perspectives of DC Super Heroes who come from traditionally disenfranchised groups, including John Stewart, Extraño, Vixen, Supergirl, Katana and Rene Montoya among others. At its core, the series focuses on the lives of those behind the costumes, and their endeavors to overcome real-world issues.

“I could not be more excited by the opportunity to excavate the canon of the DC Universe through a vast array of characters who’ve earned their seat at the table,” explains Ridley. “I’m very impressed with DC’s commitment to making their history as reverent and urgent as it is engaging and entertaining for all its many fans.”

THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE isn’t about saving the world, it’s about having the strength to simply be who you are.

Ridley will discuss his latest project for the first time this weekend on DC in D.C.’s “The Many Shades of Heroism: DC Heroes Through the African-American Lens” panel. DC in D.C. is a landmark pop culture event illuminating the story of America and current issues through the lens of comics and Super Heroes. Tune in via the live stream on Saturday, January 13, at 11 a.m. ET on the DC YouTube channel and follow along in the conversation on social media with #dcindc2018.

The new miniseries is slated to launch in winter 2018, following Ridley’s current run at Vertigo with THE AMERICAN WAY: THOSE ABOVE AND THOSE BELOW. Additional details will be provided over the coming months—check dccomics.com for updates.

Kevin Kho (New 52 OMAC) was a survivor of Cambodian genocide IIRC. I wonder if that’ll make it into here somehow.

Weird that DC’s press release spelled Renee wrong?

And cue Internet trolls crying “SJW bullshit!”