millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

Marge, I think I hate DC

Also, noticed today that it looks like the Batman / Flash: Button hardback will be an OHC.

Just to correct a few editorial mistakes in that article:

The cover … features angry woman and men, bearing signs that declare “The End Is Near,” echoing the sentiment seen in the

readers of DC comics who are now planning to stop being readers of DC comics.

“Thematically, and metaphorically, there was no better choice than to use Doctor Manhattan,” Johns said. … “you need to have someone who personifies the cynicism that has leaked into our hearts and also has the ability to affect the entire DCU

and I was too busy washing my hair that day."

I’m pretty pumped for this.

BATMAN: CREATURE OF THE NIGHT #1
Written by KURT BUSIEK
Art and cover by JOHN PAUL LEON
Young Bruce Wainwright lost his parents in a violent crime…and in the real world, no superheroes exist to save the day. But as grief and rage builds inside Bruce until he feels he can’t keep it inside anymore, something strange starts taking wing in the Gotham night! Perhaps Bruce’s grief isn’t inside him after all?
Modern masters Kurt Busiek and John Paul Leon unite for the spiritual companion to the beloved SUPERMAN: SECRET IDENTITY, putting a new spin you’ve never seen before on the legend of Batman—and the dark emotions that drive him!
On sale NOVEMBER 29 • 48 pg, FC, 1 of 4, $5.99 US • RATED T+

This series was announced in 2010:

The preview art looks great. I love JPL’s stuff. I’ll look forward to this one.

Interesting that the story is apparently set in 1968, so presumably at the height of the TV show’s popularity (or thereabouts):

Also gives the kid room to grow up to the other resurgences of the franchise, cinematically.

I get what they’re going for here but it really did not work.

What are they going for with the background? What is that meant to be?

A pictogram from the aliens in Arrival?

Nah, I meant the background. Is it meant to be regular coffee stained paper? If so…why?
I don’t think it’s meant to be Rorshach’s mask because it never looked like that

DC in continuing to fuck up Watchmen’s legacy shocker?

Kirby Krackle!

Wait, I think I got it.

It’s meant to be a page from Rorshach’s journal. All stained and whatnot.
Which is a weird thing to do since even in the comic I don’t think we saw a real page from it.

So we’re supposed to think that on a random page of his journal Rorschach drew the logos of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman with random splodges around them so they looked a bit like his mask, because…

I can’t make any sense of that concept on any level :expressionless:

I think it’s just supposed to be a variant cover. It isn’t supposed to signify anything.

Maybe it would work better if Superman’s logo was symmetrical. :thinking:

I didn’t mean the logos, I meant the background. It’s meant to be Watchmen-y, but what about a stained piece of paper signifies Watchmen? I was never talking about the ink blots.

Best I can figure it’s meant to be a page from his journal. Again, not talking about the inkblots. Just the background.

But it’s not a very good design in and of itself. It looks like a clumsily executed set of logos drawn with a leaky pen on an ugly stained background. Why would you use a design like that unless it’s trying to signify something?