millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

That battle was lost a long time ago.

True. I think even all of Image’s books are $3.99 now.

The September solicits show seven $2.99 books (Saga, Walking Dead, Invincible, Spawn, Generation Gone, Snotgirl, and the MW annual), but the rest are all $3.99.

https://imagecomics.com/content/view/solicitations-for-september-2017

DC Comics’ Earth One line of graphic novels continues to expand, this time into the far reaches of space with Green Lantern: Earth One Vol. 1 by writer Corinna Bechko and writer/artist Gabriel Hardman with colorist Jordan Boyd.

Whereas Jordan is usually depicted as a cocky, hothead test pilot, he’s now a scientist who yearns to make new discoveries, so how he approaches using the ring will be different.

“Hal Jordan is a smart, capable person with a space and science background who has a lot of untapped potential even before he finds the ring,” Bechko explained. “That means he’s going to approach everything the ring does from the perspective of a scientist, but he’s going to employ it for action and adventure. The result for us as writers is the opportunity to fully embrace the science fiction aspects of the story in a way that would be impossible with a lot of other characters.”

I can’t see the point. There are loads of Green Lanterns, so if you want to tell a story about a scientist then you can make up a Green Lantern who’s a scientist. But if you want to tell a story about Hal Jordan then it really ought to be, you know, Hal Jordan :confused:

Really interesting creative team that - bit of a coup for DC are they are really well thought of in indie circles. Plus Hardman’s art is incredible.

Count me in for this one, it will be good.

It’s an Earth 1 book though, it’s kind of the point of them that they change it up a bit. It’s like DC’s incredibly slowly released version of the Ultimate Universe.

That cover does look good. Would love to see more art.

Oh no, Alan Moore is going to have to write a story to explain why a GL needs a space suit :open_mouth:

“You are a scientist. You know that in order to survive in space, you need a spacesuit. The ring builds you a spacesuit” No need for Alan Moore.

Apparently he’s an astronaut I’ve heard.

I mean…that’s similar to pilot in a sense.

He’s the Bold to Flash’s Brave.

“What happens if the ring runs out of charge while you’re in space?”

“Oh, you’ll probably die.”

“I think I’ll be dressing for the occasion then.”

It’s like Baz taking a gun with him in case he needs to recharge during a hostile situation, right?
Anyway, I’ve bought all of the Earth One books so far. Why stop now?

Yeah, I just came into the thread and was:

Oh, GL: Earth One? Yaaawwwwwwnnnn… Wait a sec, Bechko-Hardman?

Yeah me too on that score. They are a talented couple. Maybe not as high profile as the other creators in the line but interests me way more than the likes of JMS who seems past his best.

Aye, my only hang up was making him a scientist - but as an astronaut there’s still that sense of adventure and pushing limits that is so inherent to Hal Jordan.

I think the big thing to take away from those not wanting to see a different take on Hal Jordan is there’s a whole bunch of comics out there that cover the well trodden path with him.

It would be good to read something different with the character, like it was good to read a different Batman in the Earth One installments of that.

I thought that was the All-Star line? :slight_smile:

Nah, that was more about letting creators tell big epic stories without the constraints of continuity.

No, the All Star line is the inconceivably slowly released version of the Ultimate Universe.