millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Cinematic Universe - Wonder Woman, Justice League and More

I watched Goonies at 12 and thought it was about as good as movies could get.

I was wrong, but at 12 it was a great movie. Just not ageless like Princess Bride for example.

I thought it did a great job of representing the energy and insanity of 12 - not an adult but not a little kid. Really well acted too. So much character in every role. I can’t think of another kids gang movie that’s the equal of Goonies. There’s. Reason why the movie is talked about 30 years later.

I can remember Stand By Me more clearly than Goonies, but Goonies has more to recommend it than Lost Boys or Explorers.

Don’t let @ChrisS hear you say that.

Mon tae fuck

Look the Goonies is great but fuckin hell man

Hope you’re happy you that you’ve made Chris want to get all Superman 3 drunk.

I’ve never seen Goonies, but I thought Lost Boys was pretty poor. Not awful, but very overrated.

Great, Chris is going to be fighting himself in a junkyard

Again.

I loved Goonies as a kid. Watched it with my son and loves it. It’s not a movie I’d watch as an adult on my own but it’s a fantastic family movie.

Heresy.
The part where Michael is floating out of the house is GOLD

Concept art from Justice League Mortal:

Exactly. I never saw it. The friends I know who love it are a couple of years behind me. I don’t get it, but good for them.

Summer of '85 is me 16 years old (17 later in year) and I’ve got other things on my mind.

Someone talked about Stand By Me (1986), and I do remember it fondly after all this time. I should re-watch (it’s been a very long time).

My experience with the Goonies is similar. I don’t care for it at all, but I think I was too old when it came out to enjoy it. By then I was really into Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, and Middle Earth, and it just felt too childish for my sensibilities at that time.

I also didn’t like Back to the Future for similar reasons; it just felt like soft, half-assed sci-fi, more of a teen coming-of-age comedy that used sci-fi trappings, and made by and for people with little appreciation for the genre.

Even a few years before, I thought E.T. was a little too kiddie-flavored for me, though I mostly enjoyed it.

Interestingly enough, I just watched E.T. for the first time since I saw it in the theater on cable a month or so ago, and it really struck me how, like BTTF, it was just using science fiction window dressing to tell a story about a middle child in a broken family unit. The spaceships and aliens are really ancillary to the main story, and there’s also a ton of religious symbolism in it, too.

Yeah, I agree - BTTF and ET are both family adventure films that just happen to revolve around a sci-fi concept. I love them both but I don’t think of them as great sci-fi movies in that way.

Summer of '82
That was an awesome movie, and one of the last (Jedi the last?) my whole family enjoyed together (I’m the oldest of four, ten years between me and -----).
I have a huge collection (including some from youth), but ET is not on my shelf.
But watching the younger ones enjoy is a very cherished memory.

Just because we’re in this ballpark, I never properly saw Close Encounters.
That was '77? I saw it years later on TV (most).
Damn, I do know how to ramble, but will leave it at that.

Cheers, and I love you all

Edited to add the Wiki link to Close Encounters

I think that’s an oversimplification. It all depends on the story you’re telling; some are about a character changing, some are about a character who doesn’t change. As always with these things, it’s not a good idea to be formulaic about it and I doubt that there’s anything more satisfying or long-lasting about a static character than a changing one.

That being said, I do think you have a point where this recent trend is concerned. It’s the same reason why I’ve been saying for years that I’d like to see a Marvel movie starting a franchise that isn’t an origin movie (like an FF movie with the Four already in full swing). And it’s probably one of the things behind my complaints about Star Trek Discovery: every episode is about what the characters go through (and they’re all about to cry all the time), in contrast to the original Trek where the stability of Spock’s Kirk’s and McKoy’s characters allowed the stories to just focus on the sci-fi plots of the episodes.

I think there is room for both, and that you can do both well in one show and even in a single movie, but the trend may have gone too far into the other direction.

That being said…

If Mad Max was the lead, I’d say Fury Road, but this is a case where - like with Jack Sparrow - the actual lead is someone else.

It’d be easier to name mid-budget movies - Taken and the Equalizer movies, or Reacher. The John Wick movies. For big movies, the Mission Impossible series is an obvious one.

Remember when they promised that Doctor Strange wouldn’t be an origin movie?

They’re obviously aware of the reliance on formula, but I wonder if they just don’t want to risk jumping straight into something like FF without setting it up for the audience.

Probably Batman and Spider-Man are the only superheroes where you can get away with that, as the most recent relaunches have. Maybe Hulk and Superman at a push too.

On the subject of the The Goonies, it was my favourite film growing up, I had it on VHS and watched it around 50+ times over the year after it was on TV.

I watched it again recently because I want to put that feeling into a thing I’m writing and Jim is right, it’s the frantic, imaginative way that these kids see the world that makes it so special.

The Goonies was added for preservation to the Library of Congress a few years ago on the basis of being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.”

It and Big nail what it’s like to look at the world through those eyes. One thing both are lacking, though, is real emotional weight. There’s no real loss and the characters go through very light drama, compared to something like Harry Potter, which people really carry with them for the rest of their lives as they really feel they went through intense stuff with those characters. So when you watch as an adult you can’t feel that stronger connection. It did really make me want to have kids to share it with them, though.

Is that Jim in orbit or Jim on acid?

Yes.