millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Cinematic Universe - Wonder Woman, Justice League and More

Didn’t they “ditch the comics completely” for the Catwoman movie? How did that work out?

Warners aren’t interested in the comics, but then they’re not interested in the books, TV shows or games they might derive other films from. They’re interested in what the guy in the room says when he (or she) pitches a project to them.

But let’s not forget;

While this potential adaptation of the original Man Who Laughs story is pure speculation on our part,

:roll_eyes:

Phoenix is the only reason I have even the slightest interest in a Joker movie (and I have less than zero interest in the Leto Joker film).

Well it was nice of them to let those schoolchildren write and direct a movie…

Really looking forward to the Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie. Could be and should be something completely different to other comic book movies, where it doesn’t feel like a comic book movie but like the filmmakers’ movie with a unique vision, like the Dark Knight trilogy.

I hope most of the DC movies feel like this, ranging in tone, Shazam could be really fun and crazy whereas the Joker could be a grounded crime movie with an interesting central character.

It’s what I’ve always loved about comics and the movies inspired by them, they offer any sort of genre and tone which I love. Whether it’s Guardians of the Galaxy or the Dark Knight, as long as the movie’s good and has an interesting concept then I’m all for it.

Well, it seems the JP Joker movie is shooting for some sort of indie or artsy fartsy vibe… a “character study” that is probably gonna end up being too far from the source material for fans to care about, but still too comic-booky for the art-sier movie folks to care about… so a half-measure (I loooove those… u_u) just a feeling though, but that’s what sounds so uninspiring to me.

Todd Phillips directing doesn’t say artsy to me, TBH. Moreso than Phoenix, he’s the oddest part of this to me.

Joaquin Phoenix on His “Unique” Joker Movie and Why It Scares Him

–SNIP–

–when I brought up the Joker this time, he was a lot more open about the role. When I asked how he got involved in the project and if he was nervous to take on such an iconic character, he said:

“I take a lot of time and consideration when making decisions and what I’m gonna work on always. So, in some ways, the process, which is obviously reading a script and meeting a filmmaker and then continuing to have meetings and discussions with Todd [Phillips]. I think he’s very impressive and he seems to have a very interesting understanding of this world and what he’s trying to say. And so there is something very appealing about that and working with him on this particular project. It feels unique, it is its own world in some ways, and maybe, mostly, it scares the fucking shit out of me or something. It might as well be the thing that scares you the most.”

–SNIP–

Something I was surprised to learn during my talk with Phoenix was that he’d been thinking about a movie like this years ago. He said:

“_Three or four years ago, I called my agent and said ‘Why don’t they want to take one of these characters and just make a lower budget film about it, a movie but a character study, and why not take one of the villains?’ And I thought, ‘You can’t do the Joker, because, you know, it’s just you can’t do that character, it’s just been done.’ So I was trying to think of other characters, and he said ‘I’ll set up a general meeting with Warner Bros.’ And I said ‘I’m not gonna go, I can’t go to a general meeting.’ So I completely forgot about it, and so then I heard about this idea, I was like, ‘Oh that’s so exciting, that’s the kind of experience I wanted to have, with a movie based on a comic character.’ I felt like you could get something on screen.”_

Towards the end of the interview we got to talking about how the story is not connected to everything else and what kind of movie they’re trying to make. He said:

“I wouldn’t quite classify this as like any genre. I wouldn’t say it’s a superhero movie, or a studio movie or a … It feels unique, and I think more then anything, and probably the most important thing, is Todd seems very passionate about it and very giving, and so that’s exciting. I think, underneath the excitement of these films, and the size of them, there are these incredible characters that are dealing with real life struggles. And sometimes that is uncovered and exposed, and sometimes it isn’t, and so I always felt, like, there were characters in comics that were really interesting and deserve the opportunity to be kind of studied. And so I think that’s what Todd sees appealing about this idea.

–SNIP–

The only thing that worries me slightly is when people who’ve never engaged with a genre suddenly discover it and think they’re breaking new ground because they’re not familiar with what’s gone before.

Maybe this is “new” but more likely it’s not, the Joker is a character that’s been written by so many people over the decades as well as appearing in several movies.

But as long as it’s good I’ll be happy.

With that and the Aquaman trailer this will be a day long remembered. With both I am in the same frame of mind. I hope it will be another hit like Wonder Woman for DC but I have a feeling they will screw it up.

That Joker movie sounds great to me. We all cheer (or used to) when someone like Paul Pope gets a crack at the big DC properties, and this is the movie version of that.

Isn’t this by the guy who did those Hangover movies? I am not sure if that should inspire me with a whole lot of optimism.

I will definitely give it a chance though.

To be fair, he also directed …[looks through list on IMDb]…never mind.

What makes you say that? I wouldn’t consider Phoenix or the director mentioned to be the film equivalent of Pope. If anything, Phoenix almost seems a repeat of Leto.

I would be more interested in this (and inclined to agree with Robert) if Scorsese was directing instead of producing.

I must have missed that he was even involved. Scorsese directing would have been a game changer. Producing isn’t enough involvement.

Phoenix should have been cast as Metron, damn it DC!

More BossLogic fanart:

Is Scorsese actually producing? I know that was mentioned as a possibility when it was announced, but I don’t think it’s been mentioned since.

Apparently they only wanted Scorsese to try to get DiCaprio.

Then they should have got De Niro to get Scorsese.