millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Cinematic Universe - Wonder Woman, Justice League and More

I think the Cold War setting could be a really interesting and different way to explore ideas around war and peace.

I rewatched Wonder Woman today, and still really like it. The villain stuff is only okay, but I love the rest.

And Tim Burton did it first.

FANART: Bizarro by @samuel_cheve

See? Even Jim – Jim, whose taste is terrible! – understands Superman better than Warner Borthers!

[quote=“Jason, post:4661, topic:7572, full:true”]
Hell, I’m not even sure what the thing is called… I thought they had settled on the DC Extended Universe, but then I read that was just something a journalist came up with. The powers that be don’t even know what to call the project!

The DCEU (DCCU?) [/quote]

DC Crisis Universe?

That works on so many levels.

Actually, they have the right cast and pretty much everything thing else they need to make good and popular films out of the DC characters. They’d be better off pretending that they already made better films and then just forget the past and move forward.

I respectfully disagree : IMHO, he is a man with the powers of a God.
His superhero name is Superman, not Supergod :stuck_out_tongue:

Exactly. He’s Clark Kent, writ large. That’s the whole point, why his Smallville origin is so important. He’s not the sum of his powers but what he chooses to do with them. He isn’t Hercules. If Superman undertook twelve labors they’d include stuff like…rescuing a cat from a tree. That’s stereotypical neighborhood firefighter business. We put too much emphasis on his flashy fights. That’s why his arch-nemesis is ultimately an insanely jealous…human. Just a guy. A guy who sees Superman as more “super” than “man,” even though Superman himself sees the “man” more than the “super.” It’s natural to see Superman as the quintessential superhero, because that’s what he became, so every generation tries to square his existence with either what a superhero is “supposed to be” (as in relevant) or as a reminder of the ideal, and he constantly shifts between the two, depending on how sales are.

Even Huck, which begins as a “man” before “super” story, eventually emphasizes the opposite. My idea of that would probably involve, I don’t know, a jealous brother. (Although of course a lot of my stories revolve around brothers.)

I do think that’s the major divide when it comes to Superman. Those who see Superman as the mask and those who see Clark as the mask. It’s seems to be largely generational too. I thought no both are valid, but I prefer the former.

At heart, the central theme of Superman could be that there is nothing he can do that many people with machines working together could not do. Men can fly, see far away, move mountains, etc.

However, people often tend to exert that power for greedy, violent and despicable ends rather than benevolent acts. So Superman’s real aim is to provide a counter example. He can’t save everyone, but he can prove it’s possible that everyone has the power to keep each other safe.

If we were just willing to do it.

I guess they’re both masks. Clark is clearly a disguise to hide what he can do (it’s a secret identity), Superman is an identity he adopts but it separates him from Clark Kent. None of that matters to me though, I care about what he is not who he is. He’s the ultimate ‘with great power’ character. With the power to change the planet he has to stay humble and try to save everyone. That’s why I always call him Spacejesus. I like that character - it’s interesting and there’s no other character quite like it.

Batman has gotten to be reinvented for each generation. Less so with Superman, and I think that’s hurt him. He should represent the American Way, but sadly the American Way has gone through the ringer over the past 20 years.

He has two masks. There’s Superman, the icon, plus Metropolis Clark Kent, weak try-hard. Smallville Clark Kent, humble farm boy, is the closest to his real personality.

He also has a giant bunny mask in the back of his closet that he only wears during the annual Metropolis Furries Convention.

Also the way I see it. No “being or feeling like a god”.
And Superman is no spacejesus. He is married with children, not a virgin, was sent to Earth for survival reasons (his powers allowing a baby to survive alone on a foreign planet), not to save us from ourselves, and so many other differences.
Superman powers are not magic or godly but scientifically explainable in-universe.
Batman can turn Superman’s powers off by building a red-sun light lamp. Try to do that with Jesus !
Jesus can bring the dead to life, Superman can’t.
Superman is not trying to bring his Father Reign on Earth.
And so on.

Your parents sending you to another planet doesn’t make you the son of God.
Comics are full of extra-terrestrials sent to Earth as babies. it’s a cliché.

If you’re looking for a godly being sent by her bearded father to Earth to change humanity’s ways for peace while kicking ass with a cord as Jesus did in the Temple, your DC Jesus name is Wonder Woman :wink:
The Jesus angle was just a cheap and ignorant way for the WB movies to cater to the religious audiences.

I just want to add in that Mister Miracle is also not Space Jesus.

Probably well-known to everyone here already, but the Superman story obviously draws on the mythology of Moses as much as Jesus - Moses being sent in a basket down the river and brought up by Egyptians, him leading the oppressed against their oppressors, him trying to set an example for how the people should live… There are lots of clear parallels, especially when you look at the early stories involving the character as someone who stands up for the downtrodden.

But I don’t think Jim is drawing comparisons to Jesus in such a literal fashion (power-set etc.) - more just that he’s a benign messianic figure who tries to set an example of how people should live to make the world a better place. Which seems totally reasonable to me. You could equally draw comparisons with Muhammad, say (and he had his own Fortress Of Solitude with the cave of Hira!).

As Morrison once pointed out, Superman doesn’t have to die to save people.

Also, he was created by a pair of Jewish kids who had plenty of other Biblical and Greek heroes to base him on. His origin story is Moses/Perseus and his powers are Heracles/Golem. He may be messianic, but not in the Christian sense.