millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Cinematic Universe - Wonder Woman, Justice League and More

I think a few (Incredibles, Guardians, Dark Knight, maybe a couple others) are as close to universally loved as you can get. No movie’s literally universally loved.

You think so? Why is that? Mass appeal? I’d love for Superior to make a billion dollars but it sounds pretty crazy when Superman still hasn’t hit that number.

Best news I’ve heard all day. I say bring it warner. I look forward to Cavill returning for a Supes Solo sequel. Most importantly seeing more range in both his Clark Kent and Supes personas.

Most people love the first Iron Man and The Avengers too. X2 is well liked by most. Superman: The Movie gets plenty of love still, nearly 40 years later. Like you said, nothing is universally loved, but I think all of those come pretty close.

I think that getting the right tone for SHAZAM would be a struggle. I figure that Geoff Johns’ take on the character is fairly indicative of what DC wanted to do with him. It didn’t quite strike a chord and totally lacks the charm of the older incarnations of Captain Marvel.

And basically I hope that Superior gets to the screen first. I love Superior. If someone could capture that late 80’s Amblin/Big sort of vibe,with a bit of an edge to it, it could be brilliant.

He said franchise, not film.

David, neck snapping is so last movie. It’s time to move the story FORWARD. I present to you:

Man of Steel 2: Dismemberment Boogaloo

I mean film. Maybe not the first movie, but certainly the second. It needs the right cast and script of course.

I think it occupies a perfect spot that hasn’t been targeted before - a movie that appeals to kids and adults equally, like a live action Pixar movie. Most live action superhero movies are aimed for teens plus. They’re off putting for the non-geek crowd - the 40 somethings with older kids who don’t bother going, young kids with sensitive parents, hipsters who don’t like the corporate scene. Basically the folks who went to see Avatar and Force Awakens but didn’t go see Avengers. Avatar sold 96 million tickets, Force Awakens sold 88 million, Avengers sold 78 million - comic movies have a ceiling in their sales that other movie types don’t have. It’s ET, or Back to the Future or Indiana Jones. It’s a perfect 80’s Speilberg story, it’s a Tom Hanks type role, and it could be really funny with a nice warm message. It’s the perfect storm of comic pitches. And I said all this about Shazam a decade ago.

So yeah, a billion. With the right cast and script. And I don’t think there can be both Shazam and Superior as one would just be compared to the other and there’s only one way you can go - Shazam can’t be DC dark.

Superman hasn’t got a billion dollar movie because they haven’t made a proper Superman movie yet.

[quote=“JimOHara, post:1334, topic:5007, full:true”]young kids with sensitive parents, hipsters who don’t like the corporate scene
[/quote]

Stop talking about me behind my back.

They can always go old school, and throw powerless people down icy crevasses.

For SUPERIOR, I will be interested in seeing how they handle the deal with a demon angle. On the outset, it’s pretty much BIG meets SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - with obvious mass appeal - but then it takes this jarring twist into THE OMEN or ROSEMARY’S BABY territory with Sharpie sacrificing his own parents to Satan.

Not sure if that will play as well in a movie as it did in the comics.

The Dark Knight?

If this help, while I thought it was great in many ways, I kind of hated its underlying message once I understood that that was that to be truly special, you have to be above the common people, the rabble. After all, the villain’s motto is “if everybody’s super, nobody is” - and his evil plan is to let everybody share in the miracle of having super-powers.

That’s when I realised Brad Bird is a Randian. Next movie of his was one in which all the clever and special people left behind the world of the stupid normal ones - Atlas Shrugged has already happened in the world of Tomorrowland.

Bird’s movies do have Randian qualities, but they don’t have her contempt for the poor and the “weak,” which is what made her truly reprehensible. Bird’s really into the idea that people of great vision can save the world if the rest of the world gets out of their way, which is juvenile, but at least in his work it’s divorced from malice. If he was a true Randian, you wouldn’t get that scene in The Incredibles where Bob tries to help the old woman get more from her insurance benefits.

That makes it easier for me to enjoy his work… when it’s good. Tomorrrowland was not.

Yeah, I know; if it was worse, I wouldn’t be able to enjoy his movies, which I do (to some extent, even Tomorrowland). But it’s weird how Incredibles is so elitist to its very bones - “Which is just a way of saying no-one is” isn’t just Syndrome’s message, it’s also Dash’s response to his mother when she says that everybody is special. The film really doesn’t like the idea that there’s potential in everybody. I mean, Syndrome’s origin is that he tries to be special and is told that well he bloody well isn’t; it’s his failure to accept that that makes him the villain. It’s not just that the weak, normal people should get out of the way; it’s important that they’re there to make the special people stand out.

It may not be malicious, but it’s kind of mean.

I agree. It was pretty disappointing when I got old enough to recognize that message in the movie.

I still like ‘Tomorrowland’ but it’s political subtext weakens it.

At the end of the film they’re still looking for special people to take away to Tomorrowland, not giving the world all the amazing things that the villain has hoarded for decades.

But it’s not terrible just disappointing.

Yes. Sorry.

I was being a bit sarcastic there and just thinking about the current slate of movies from BvS forward (and their reception thus far). I totally forgot the Nolan movies (which I’m a big fan of…even TDKR).

Yeah, those were my thoughts exactly. It would have been so easy to go that other way at the end.