millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Cinematic Universe - Wonder Woman, Justice League and More

Credible, but I think a pinch of salt is also in order;

The Joker Movie: Warner Bros. Wants Class, Cachet and Maybe Leonardo DiCaprio

When news broke last week that Warner Bros. is developing a movie detailing the origin story of Batman nemesis The Joker, many were surprised to see the name Martin Scorsese listed among the producers.

After all, why would the 74-year old auteur filmmaker behind everything from Taxi Driver to Silence be interested in making the kind of studio franchise fare he has avoided throughout his career? And why would Warners executives, as brand managers of the extended DC Comics cinematic universe, want a legendarily controlling and free-spending talent involved in its marquee property?

The answer involves a plan worthy of The Joker himself. Sources say Warners will make an ambitious attempt to use Scorsese to bring Leonardo DiCaprio into the world of comic-book movies. Certainly, Scorsese’s involvement in The Joker film, which The Hangover filmmaker Todd Phillips would direct, could elevate and diversify the studio’s contributions to the genre, creating the potential to make awards-worthy films such as Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight trilogy.

There’s no offer for DiCaprio, and sources say Scorsese’s deal to produce isn’t even done yet. The chances of landing DiCaprio could be slim to none. But the attempt in itself sends a signal to talent that Warners wants to hire serious filmmakers to make serious films.

This plan was not met with applause in all quarters: Insiders say Jared Leto, the actor who portrayed the Clown Prince of Crime in last summer’s Suicide Squad and is slated to reprise the character not just for a sequel but for another spinoff movie (with DC villainess Harley Quinn), was caught off-guard by the plans. Leto is said to have made his displeasure with the notion of multiple Jokers known to his CAA agents, and rival agency WME has been using the concern to court him.

–SNIP–

Now, however, Warners wants to branch off with stand-alone movies that are unconnected to that version of the DC world. The new movies will have non-traditional takes on the heroes and villains of DC, and hopefully, attract actors and filmmakers who don’t typically toil in the comic-book movie world. War for the Planet of the Apes director Matt Reeves is developing a Batman stand alone that, according to sources, will not star Ben Affleck, who plays the caped crusader in the DC Universe movies (Warners and Affleck have denied he is being replaced). The plan is to launch a separate label for these projects to distinguish them from the rest of the DC films. (Warners executives are acutely aware of the risks of audience confusion.)

For Joker, which could be the initial entry for the label, sources say the studio and Phillips would want DiCaprio or another A-lister to play the character as a gritty crime boss in a Scorsese-esque Gotham underworld.

–SNIP–

Reps for Warner Bros, DiCaprio, Leto and Scorsese declined to comment.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/leonardo-dicaprio-joker-movie-warner-bros-wants-actor-role-1034392

He needed a better script.

Agreed. I thought he was quite likeable in the role although I probably like Superman Returns a lot more than most people. I have come to the realisation that it is a deeply flawed film with some great things in it.

And I wish Brandon Routh had another shot at it.

He had a good voice for the role too and he looks the part too if only he could have had another shot at the role .

Routh was the closest you could get to someone who could play both Clark and Superman in a love-letter movie to Christopher Reeve & Richard Donner.
Of course Reeve was better, and the comparison was always going to go against him. Lets face it, casting Christopher Reeve for the role of Superman was one of the all-time good/great/awesome jobs. More like ‘Grand Slam to win the game’.

I thought he did a fine job, especially considering those circumstances.
Good movie too. Unfairly criticized, but from the other side they really should’ve rebooted the franchise.

When I perfect time-travel, I’m going back and keeping Donner, and getting the Space Shuttle scene from Returns into the original instead of the helicopter scene. Other changes in the trilogy (Brainiac).
It’s a story for another day, but you won’t even know.

But you’re still keeping Richard Pryor, right?

Yes, but as Mon-El.

That will make @davidm so happy!

I liked Routh as Superman, but I also don’t think Superman Returns is bad. Flawed, yes, but I still liked a lot of it. Which I know is a very unpopular opinion, but that’s okay.

Interesting that they’re calling him Captain Marvel in the description. I would think WB/DC would drop that given Marvel is making a Captain Marvel movie.

I’m curious if they will drop the “Marvel” in his name considering the name is associated in the minds of the public with a rival studio. I think the character does have some awareness in the public but if you asked them his name, they would say Shazam.

When I was a kind I always assumed his name was shazam cause of the cartoon name…

It’s just for a casting call though it seems, not really a public press release apart from now we have nosy internet portals for geeks.

In the comics they went to some lengths in the Nu52 era to remove all the Captain Marvel references.

It’s understandable that they change the name, they don’t have a choice really. Too many Captain Marvels around.

Shazam is not a great title though. Never has been.

It would be quite amazing if they wound up casting John Cena as Captain Marvel and The Rock as Black Adam and got a third WrestleMania match between them.

Captains Marvel

Captains Marvele.