millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Crowdsourced projects - Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Pledgemusic, etc

That was actually a great evaluation of the Kickstarter system. I think they left out one advantage in that it can have huge advantages in advertising and gauging market reception without a larger outlay of cash.

I’ve haven’t seen many ‘after action reports’ on crowdfunding. It’s generally interviews etc. about the project rather than the work of the funding itself.

The work involved in meeting the rewards you’ve pre-sold could easily be overlooked, but they’re your business agreement with your funders. You have to deliver on them, or there will be consequences. Especially now that we’re leaving the early stages of the system and entering a more established era.

Kickstarting something is becoming a normal thing to consider, along with the previously more familiar options.

It seems that almost everyone except for extreme planners or people with prior experience have difficulty with the fulfillment part. There was a huge jump in US postal rates around the time Kickstarter was just spooling up that caught a lot of projects out. As time goes, people get wiser either through learning from other projects or the hard way.

London , 1888 and the Ripper murders are gripping the country. The people of Whitechapel are afraid to walk the streets at night and the police are no closer to cracking the case. Chief Inspector Abberline leads the investigation and with pressure from above to catch the killer, his own demons start to get the better of him…

What Abberline doesn’t know is that there is someone out there who wants to help.

Someone in the shadows… watching… waiting to strike.

“There’s worse things out there than Jack the Ripper.”

Ryan Browne has a new Kickstarter up to print his webcomic Blast Furnace. I loved his God Hates Astronauts Kickstarter and he knows how to run and deliver on a project. So I’m strongly considering backing this project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1334937359/blast-furnace-recreational-thief-280-page-color-ed/description

Dammit. Kickstarter has reintroduced their autoplay videos for the campaign pages. I hate autoplay. Is there a plugin for Chrome and Safari that stops it?

If you have an account, you can turn off autoplay in your settings: https://www.kickstarter.com/settings/account

Thanks, Paul. When they made it a default the first time, I asked if there was a way to turn it off and said it was annoying. After that, it went away for a while. I should have checked if there was an off option now that they’ve brought it back.

Autoplay is horrible.

Animated sections of websites I understand but an actual video with information should be something that waits for you to click on it.

The fact that the automatically mute it and you have to hit “Playback with Sound” to actually see and watch it should tell them something.

I always hate the “find the tab that’s playing” game.

I love Ryan’s stuff also and you are right about him knowing how to deliver on a kickstarter, He’s also a super nice guy! I backed on first day and can’t wait to get more Blast Furnace as I already have the black and white edition.

I ended up getting a refund (minus return shipping) from one Kickstarter I backed, tado° Cooling - Intelligent AC control. I normally wouldn’t even ask for a refund but I felt they were incredibly dishonest about the state of the product on launch and it never worked for me. I couldn’t even connect it to my home wi-fi despite having connected a myriad of computers, tablets, phones, set top boxes and TVs to the same wi-fi. It also proved a weird contradiction in what other Kickstarter creators have said before. They were able to credit my Amazon Payments account directly and were able to drop me from the project cutting my ability to comment.

$500k is a lot to ask for, but horror fans are enthusiastic people and the creature design is very good.

Joe Madureira has a Kickstarter up for a game based on his Battle Chasers comic. Looks interesting.

https://dontletnickelback.tilt.com/don-t-let-nickel-back

we are attempting to ensure that Canadian “rockers” Nickelback do not come to London, England to play a gig. With your help, we can ensure that the band do not schedule any gigs here, do not attempt to come here - nor even phone here.

Just imagine, thousands - perhaps tens of thousands of music lovers - all not witnessing an exclusive concert by Nickelback in London. It will be glorious. Legendary. Dare we say, game changing?

FAQ

Q. What’s wrong with Nickelback?

A. Go listen to them.

Q. I did listen to them. What’s wrong with Nickelback?

A. Ah, forgive us. You mean what’s wrong with them as in, what could possibly lead them to create such unlistenable music? We don’t know.

Rewards

$1
Email on your behalf
Your donation will result in an email, written on your behalf, to the management of Nickelback, kindly requesting that they do not play in London, England for the foreseeable future. You also get the added bonus of not seeing Nickelback.

$5
Slightly more forceful email

:slight_smile:

****Update: this campaign is not about personal profit. All proceeds will go to charity. Or perhaps therapy for those who’ve been affected by the band.

****Update 2: Chad Kroeger has responded to this campaign, saying he “loves it.” We therefore expect all Nickelback fans to immediately contribute, as it will make him very happy. If you don’t support our efforts to ban Nickelback, you’ll be going against Nickelback. Is that what you want?

I’m not a Nickelback fan by any means but I don’t understand the rancor against them.

I barely know their music, so I don’t understand the rancor either. But I still thought the “campaign” was funny.

I think Nickleback have unintentionally become flag bearers for the whole of that shitty, generic, soulless bullshit rock acts and they take the flak for the genre as a whole.

I hadn’t even noticed they’d been singled out. Fans (as we well know) have strong feelings.

I’m sure they have just as many supporters as detractors, plus a great many people who couldn’t care less either way.