millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Crowdsourced projects - Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Pledgemusic, etc

What the hell?

Yeah… cool… RPG rules in the style of… no, wait, not “in the style of” but…

Old-School Essentials is a 100% accurate restatement of the original Basic/Expert rules (B/X), with nothing added, changed, or removed. All material written for the B/X rules over the last 38 years can be used with Old-School Essentials, without any conversion effort whatsoever!

The more I read, the more I became convinced that this is Basic D&D in new covers. I mean, they’re not even making a serious attempt to pretend otherwise. They never actually use the term “D&D”, but everything they write makes it completely obvious.

Am I right? :thinking:

How the hell can this be legal?

1 Like

You can’t copyright rules.

Seriously?

1 Like

For true, you can copyright symbols and design elements, but not abstract concepts like rules. It’s why Magic uses icons for the action of tapping a card, mana types and such, and why a lot of modern games use unique dice and additional components.

I could publish a clone of D&D tomorrow that is written slightly differently, and uses different art and names for all the monsters, and it’d be hundo p legal.

2 Likes

Ok, thinking it through legally… you’re right, you can only copyright specific combinations of words. You can rewrite an idea in different words (as we see all the time in novels). And if you don’t mention a specifically trade-marked phrase, you’re ok. And if TSR never patented any of the rule mechanics, then they’re fair game too…

So I guess you’re right. But surely there’s got to be some protection against basically re-typing an entire rule book and selling it as your own work? :confused:

1 Like

I assume there’s some level of protection available, as licensing rules systems is a thing that happens in gaming these days - Wizkids does Star Trek (and did D&D) minis games under the Attack Wing brand name, using the same basic rules as FFG’s X-Wing minis game - which itself is based on Wings of War, originally published by Nexus Editrice and more recently Ares Games.

Similarly, FFG licensed the Netrunner rules set from Wizards of the Coast, and because they didn’t have the rights to the Cyberpunk 2020 setting used the background from Android, a cyberpunk boardgame they publish. But WotC decided not to renew the license last year and Netrunner died

2 Likes

Isn’t this pretty much Pathfinder or was it actually licensed?

2 Likes

Kinda, yeah. Wizards did an open source thing for D&D 3rd edition, where the rules and a bunch of the lore elements (such as monster names, spells and such) were free to access in a document called the SRD, and anyone could publish their own work that referenced or linked into the material in that document without fear of copyright infringement. Paizo started out making semi-official 3rd edition sourcebooks and adventures. When Wizards decided to go a different way for 4th edition, Paizo decided to instead do a rules update to the revised 3rd edition, which became Pathfinder.

3 Likes

This is my world, Hugo is well known as trainer and he’s got years of experience, so this is well priced for up and coming artists but… I wonder if he’s missed a trick by not providing mid-level perks that offer less technical behind the scenes videos?

There are people who are interested in how films are made but not because it’s their job.

And his perks jump from £10 to £590!

One of my favorite new characters & that Joel Gomez art is a perfect fit.
B. PULIDO’S NEWEST GRAPHIC NOVEL: LA MUERTA #1: ASCENSION!, via @Kickstarter