Comics Creators

Crowdsourced projects - Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Pledgemusic, etc

I’ve backed one thing and that was Cinema Purgatorio.
It cost me a relative fortune and then I had to pay another 30 odd quid to get it released from customs.

I received the books after they were actually available in the shops and after reviewing the whole package I think it was just a waste of money and I was foolishly duped into buying something that I didn’t really need at all.

I’ll be very surprised if I back anything off Kickstarter again. To be honest, I think it’s a bit of a con.

I’m slightly of the opinion that If people are good enough and work hard enough they’ll get their work out there either self published or using the current available channels, rather than getting the fans to take the hit for them so that they don’t have to work hard to raise the funds themselves.

I’m pretty cynical about it all and it would take a creator that I obsessed with to lure me in again.
There’s a wealth of choice out there already that I struggle to stay on top of and each time Previews comes out or Comixlogy goes up its like an exercise in restraint for me to avoid ordering all the cool shit I want but know I shouldn’t be wasting so much money on.

I went to Frightfest yesterday (UK horror film festival) and at the end of the day there was a panel discussion on the future of British horror.

The thing that surprised me was that no-one was talking about crowd funding until someone in the audience brought it up in the Q&A.

He’s part of a company called Hex Media and they’re crowdfunding their films and doing well at it.

Yes it make most things completely unaffordable for me.

I have never really trawled Kickstarter, I’ve been pointed towards certain items, all of which have delivered so far, but I am only interested in lower tier digital options.

The Kickstarter that I’m helping Simon Furmand and Geoff Senior with has just gone live!

It’s for a print-only copy of their To The Death prequel. I’ve seen the whole thing and it’s great fun

(we’ll hopefully have a video up soon)

Russell Hillman’s Slashermania hit its funding today. Really pleased for him - was looking a bit touch-and-go for a while . Still 20 minutes left if you want in on it.

Oh snap! It’s Candwich, a convenient sandwich in a can that comes in a variety of flavors, providing a ready-to-eat meal to anyone, anywhere. Candwich is a great lunch for kids, adventurers, athletes, the military, those on the go, and just about anyone. Join us as we “can” hunger – one Candwich at a time!

Experience the historic interstellar message for extraterrestrials the way it was meant to be played.

My Kickstarter project, a graphic novel called Destiny, NY written by Pat Shand and illustrated by me.

You can read the entire first chapter for free here.

[EDIT] The project has been fully funded! Thank you VERY much to everyone who spent some time checking it!

The SEVENTY2 : The world’s smartest survival kit.

Designed by survival experts to give you everything you need to make it through an emergency.,w_620/v1478059312/xewnchro1vjrib9isy4j.jpg

A handheld gaming PC that plays games from Steam:

Listen, this is really serious. I need you all to go and fund this, otherwise I might not get my CD :worried:

How can you not love a campaign that keeps the out-takes in their video? :slight_smile:

This has exceeded it’s funding goal by a massive amount;

I hope they can deliver all the stretch goals they’ve promised. That’s been the downfall of some crowdfunded projects in the past.

What you will be getting is a 450 page book (digital and/or softcover) of the 18 year history of WildStorm Studios. Over 75 people were interviewed and the book equally discusses their starts and careers with the studio, the creative process of working on such genre redefining books like WildC.A.T.S., Gen 13 and The Authority, becoming the home for great creator owned and licensed comics, folding into DC/Warner Brothers as well as the characters and comic storylines themselves.

I’ve just backed something in Indiegogo for (as far as I can recall) the first time. It seems remarkably identical to Kickstarter, so identical that I wondered why there is any point in choosing one over the other.

But there does appear to be one key difference: this says it has a “flexible goal”, which doesn’t mean much until you drill down for the definition: “This campaign will receive all funds raised even if it does not reach its goal.”

That’s quite significant. I think I would be more wary of pledging on Indigogo if I didn’t already have a lot of trust in the person I’m pledging to.