millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Cover songs better than the original

This was in the GotG Vol. 2 soundtrack list that I put together as soon as I’d seen Vol. 1.
Everybody did that, right?

When I’m feeling really, really, really, gay, I like listening to Me First and the Gimmie Gimmie’s covers of songs by female singers. They just play and have fun and there are no winks and nudges, just strummy fun.

Top of the World (Carpenters)

Straight Up (Paula Abdul)

Killola do a pretty boss cover of Hey Mickey on Let’s Get Associated, but because it’s a hidden bonus track, there’s no version of it online for me to share (it’s not included with the album on Spotify for instance).

I love Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. Punk covers are great and the fact that this is basically Fat Mike from NOFX’s side project cover band filled out with other Fat Wreck Chords greats makes it that much better.

Huh. I had no idea that was a cover.

Having listened to the original though, I tend to disagree. Imbruglia’s version is more streamlined, but I kind of like the original better. Imbruglia’s version has her charm, though, which is worth a lot.

Here’s a very random one:

I love this cover version of Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game” by Exlovers, I band I have heard nothing else of.

I will always love you

Original by Dolly Parton

Cover by Whitney Houston

The original is better. :wink:

Agreed :slight_smile:

Then post the YouTube of both for all here to decide

You’re the one that brought it up. So that’s your job. :wink:

You’ve been slacking on actually posting some of the songs you mention anyway. :wink:

I’m sure you’ve heard the story that Elvis wanted to cover it but required writing credit (as that is where the money is in music). Dolly refused and eventually got a huge pay out when Whitney covered it for The Bodyguard.

I am at work now so I can’t

Sorry

I don’t know if it’s true but I’ve read somewhere that Dolly Parton thought Whitney Houston’s version was better. She said something like "Whitney can have the credit. Just let me keep the cash." :smiley:

Working 9 to 5?

Whitney’s the better singer, her voice is amazing, but it is one of the most ‘MOR warbly show-off’ type songs ever and very annoying. I prefer Dolly’s version and I prefer Whitney when she went a little more ‘urban’ for a while.

Dolly all day.

Houston is who a lot of far inferior singers tried to ape, and they gave the singing style a bad name. But she remains, in that song, amazingly transcendent.