millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Cover songs better than the original

I have no idea who any of these people are, it just appeared at the top of Youtube recommendations. It’s absolutely brilliant.

I have seen them perform that song live. It is fantastic.

Two Frightened Rabbit covers:

Blue Man Group (the guys with blue heads), that’s the main element here. They’re known for making their own percussion instruments, and they started out mainly as a percussion act, but expanded into more traditional music forms, such as this. They’re mostly a live act. There’s a bit in Arrested Development where Tobias attempts to audition for them, but it’s Tobias, so it becomes a fiasco of double entendres.

Wow I’m actually surprised the Blue Man Group is still a thing… I guess kudos for perseverance? =/

And they’re now old enough they no longer have to use paint!

Was reminded of this today.

I love the backstory behind the original version of that song: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Is_Painless

Robert Altman had two stipulations about the song for Mandel: first, it had to be called “Suicide Is Painless”; second, it had to be the “stupidest song ever written”. Altman tried to write the lyrics himself, but found that it was too difficult for his 45-year-old brain to write “stupid enough”. Instead he gave the task to his 14-year-old-son, Michael, who wrote the lyrics in five minutes.

During an appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson in the 1980s, Robert Altman said that while he only made $70,000 for having directed the movie, his son had earned more than $1 million for having co-written the song.

So, what do we think?

I’ve been on a Paula Abdul kick, and I ran across this and I love it. It makes me want to drive fast and get tickets.

From the kind of pop/country out when I was a kid:

From 2013:

Mr. Fogerty is quite due for an album of new material. He is now four months late.

The Penguins version is beautyfull… but this… it´s just magnificent.

Clear water between this and the New Order original.