millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comics You Feel Have Only Gotten Better With Age

More specifically, for series you might not have enjoyed when they originally were released/first read by you.
But that you later went back to, either with age or more perspective, and found yourself enjoying much more?

For me: it’s League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century. Especially 2009.
Still not the best LOEG volume, but has really only become more rounded in the years since.
Everything about the third act involving Harry Potter is just so much more brilliant in today’s social media climate. It rings a truer bell now thanks to stuff such as Instagram and Snapchat.

What about you guys? Naturally, be mindful of spoilers if why you enjoy entails some.

Calvin & Hobbes - Not necessarily better, but I appreciate different things about the strip as an adult.

Akira - Attempted to read it in high school and couldn’t make it past the third volume, but now is one of my all time favorites.

Honestly though, most stuff I read and loved as a kid hasn’t made enough of an impact to make me want to reread, which is unfortunate. Although I remember being enthralled by some rather dark Archie Ninja Turtles comics that are finally on ComiXology so I’m curious if they will hold up.

Morrison and Albuquerque’s Joe the Barbarian. I ended up taking it for granted in single issue release, but it’s a much better story as a collection, and it’s become one of my favorites, both for Morrison and comics in general. And I think it’s a comic that people who find comics difficult to appreciate could really like, too.

Sean Murphy, wasn’t it?

Ah, right. They’re both favorites.

Both artists who have done fantastic Millarworld books. :wink:

I don’t really tend to revisit books that I don’t like so it’s hard to think of anything that I’ve had a big turnaround with.

I will say Ex Machina. At the time it came out, I thought it was a little too ripped-from-the-headlines and topical. Now that it’s over a decade old and removed from the era it emerged from, it comes off as weirdly both timeless and also a very specific timestamp of its time and place: NYC in Guiliani’s waning years, post-9/11 but before the gentrification and development explosion.

I think it is BKV’s best book and a top five book of the 2000s, and I didn’t feel that way when it came out.

When I read Halo Jones I thought it was a pretty poor effort. But I don’t think it was aimed at teen boys who wanted another story about Judge Dredd or Rogue Trooper shooting people. I had to age at least 10 years before I was worthy of reading it.