millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

There’s a few jumping on points:

1 - start at the beginning with Simon Furman’s run - Infiltration is the first trade and it sets up a cold war type situation between the Autobots and Decepticons where they first work covertly on planets. The second trade, Stormbringer is more of a traditional story set on Cybertron. Furman’s run progresses through Escalation, Devastation, Revelation, Maximum Dinobots and the first three Spotlight collections. Sadly, his run was cut short, and the various plot threads are resolved quite abruptly between Revelation (for the space plots) and Maximum Dinobots (for the Earth ones).

2 - All Hail Megatron. Set a year or so after Furman’s run ends, the Decepticons have the upper hand in the war and the Autobots are on the verge of defeat. This isn’t the best series, but it sets up a lot of what follows. Collected in 4 numbered trades

3 - The ongoing series. Set after the war ends in All Hail Megatron, various Autobots and Decepticons are stuck on a devastated Earth, and they have to decide how they deal with humanity now. Collected in 7 numbered trades, the first subtitled For All Mankind. While I liked the ongoing opinions vary. Most people agree it improves when James Roberts starts to share writing duties with Mike Costa near the end.

4 - the current setup. There are two ongoing series - More Than Meets The Eye (recently renamed Lost Light) and Robots in Disguise (recently renamed Optimus Prime). MTME/Lost Light is probably the best Transformers comic overall since the original 80s Furman stuff, it’s the semi-comical adventures of the crew of a ship which has left Cybertron to go on a quest (largely to stave off boredom now the war’s over), while RiD was originally about the political intrigue on Cybertron, it later became about Optimus Prime’s attempts to open diplomatic ties with Earth, hence the title change.

More Jughead - Werewolf, from Frank Tieri

Still wondering why they haven’t done a Weird Mysteries book. Seems like that’d be a good way to stay on schedule.

But Tieri can do good work and at least it’s not Sacasa again.

At least we are getting some issues of Sabrina this year (7 last week, 8 is finished according to the artist, and he is working on 9).

Now if we could finally get issues 11 & 12 of Afterlife…

Sabrina is pretty bad, but nice to hear about Afterlife. Hopefully Sacasa is still trying there.

Forget all the Furman/All Hail Megatron junk and just cut straight to the good stuff. My personal preference for reading order is:

Spotlight - Orion Pax
Spotlight - Thundercracker
Spotlight - Drift
Last Stand of the Wreckers trade
Spotlight - Megatron
Chaos Theory trade (only read issues 22 and 23) from The Transformers series
Spotlight - Bumblebee
More Than meets the Eye vol 1
Robots in Disguise vol 1

That’s a good place to start. Although just going straight to MTMTE and RID is perfectly acceptable.

I’m not really a huge fan, but I tried out More than Meets the Eye after @anders and @Lorcan_Nagle recommended it and I really enjoyed it.

So I can confirm that it is a perfect place to start.

I can’t believe Lorcan didn’t mention Last Stand of the Wreckers!

Also, if you’re buying MTMTE and RiD off comixology as individual issues rather than trade/collections, make sure you start with The Death of Optimus Prime one-shot, which sets them both up. It’s included in the MTMTE v1 collection otherwise.

I was going for jumping on points rather than highlights (I mentioned All Hail Megatron, after all)

Fair point.

And another new Archie series, The Archies

Extreme robotic violence. The best kind.

Thanks all
I picked up the first 3 MTMTE trades and the first 2 RID. 14 quid total.
Not bad at all

Let us me know what you think.

This should put @RonnieM into good spirits

I myself almost got spooked when I misread it as Liefeld taking over :wink:

Now Dark Horse and AfterShock have joined, and next week will be busy (Image probably Tuesday)

Edit: have added AC Comics and 2000 AD

Solicitations for October 2017 (w/ Previews Text)

Published by venerable indie-comics company Dark Horse Comics, Berger Books will debut four new series in 2018:

• Hungry Ghosts by Anthony Bourdain (yes, that Bourdain) and Joel Rose
  • Incognegro: Renaissance by Mat Johnson and Warren Pleece
  • Mata Hari by Emma Beeby and Ariela Kristantina
  • The Seeds by Ann Nocenti and David Aja

On top of that, the imprint will rerelease Dave Gibbons’s out-of-print Vertigo tale The Originals in an expanded edition.

More details on the books in the link.

Excited about The Originals. I loved that book.

That sounds interesting.

Archie Horror Update

• Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #8 is coming out on August 16th
  • Afterlife with Archie #11 is coming soon it seems: