millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

With 100 Bullets I found it difficult to follow in trades and had to read all the previous ones as a new one came out. :smile:

Ben’s ‘super trade waiting’.

I persevered with that because it’s a fantastic piece of work.

It’s difficult though, I agree with Invisible Empire it’s a really good book that falls under the radar of most. I have been stacking up issues in order to read in larger chunks but I think that is dangerous for a lot of books. As sales are not as buoyant as they were all creators and publishers need to take greater care they don’t create reasons to drop off.

Random comics-related things

I was doing the same - but kind of fell off the book 4 or five trades in.

They don’t call her “Heavy Flo” for nothing.

Are you reading the current issues? Definitely “Rated M for Mature audiences”

I haven’t read it in years.

Like years and years.

One point I’d throw in on this is, if you’re going to take the long route, support the book by buying the trades as they come out.

This both helps at the time and also prevents you looking at a pile of trades to buy that you can’t possibly afford to buy later in one go.

I’ve gotten into the habit now, for anything I enjoy a lot, of reading each trade as it comes out (flicking thru the previous volume quickly to remind my self of key moments and how the last one ended), then when the final volume comes out I start again from the beginning and read them all together.

Have added Aspen

A nice homage cover for the Spawn #1 Director’s Cut:

Although as Quesada points out, he did the cover, not Bagley (as indicated in McFarlane’s after acknowledgement). :slight_smile:

Thanks Sean, this was the big surprise for me at the link:

The Shaolin Cowboy: Who’ll Stop the Reign? HC

Geof Darrow (W/A/Cover) and Dave Stewart ©

On sale Oct 25
FC, 136 pages
$19.99
HC, 8” x 12”

Who doesn’t like Surf and Turf? Well, what do you do when Surf and Turf doesn’t like YOU???

The Eisner Award–winning drawing-room talkfest The Shaolin Cowboy returns and will try to answer those questions as the titular hero of the series finds that his road to hell is paved not with good intentions but old nemeses hell bent on bloody revenge . . . AGAIN!!! He fought an army of the shambling dead, but can the Shaolin Cowboy survive a sinister desert town filled with guns, prostitutes, and white supremacists, all run by a crustaceous mafia? Collects The Shaolin Cowboy: Who’ll Stop the Reign? #1#4.

This sounds brilliant and it looks to be the same, big hardback format as Shemp Buffet

Definitely up for that.

No problem and always a pleasure. Surprise for me too (posting without looking and get to it later…).
No pic for me with the solicit, so I think someone screwed up, but that’s ok.

Pic from Amazon.ca, but maybe some prefer Amazon.com, or Amazon.co.uk

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51kiChSWweL.SX331_BO1,204,203,200.jpg

That cover is insane in the best possible way.

Ragnarok #7 - 12: by Walt Simonson, with Laura Martin on colours and John Workman lettering. Is that not a dream team?

This is the second arc, in Walt’s thematic sequel to his acclaimed run on Marvel’s Thor (similar to how Peter David’s Fallen Angel was a sequel to his criminally underrated Supergirl run). Set in a twilight world, after the death of the Norse gods, the series continues the exploits of a returned Thunder God.

This second arc was a little disappointing, as it spent far too much time wrapping up the story of the dark elf assassin and his daughter, but it had moments of brilliance. The village where Thor was still worshipped by the few remaining humans, even in the face of a zombie apocalypse was a particularly strong moment.

This series is an expensive one. It’s $4.99 an issue, and each issue has only 17 or so pages of story. But, if I’m going to pay $5 an issue for anyone, it’s going to be for Walt Simonson.

The hardcovers, with a hefty online discount, are likely the best way of following this series. If I can still find a copy of Vol 1 somewhere, I may switch to the trade too.

Ragnarok Trade collection 1 is £2.99 from comixology DRM free. I might have to try that.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I’ve wanted to read it for a while.

Greg Pak and Takeshi Miyazawa’s Next Comic Brings Together a Boy and His Giant Robot

I think I’ll be checking that one out.

I didn’t realise recent Spawn comics had killed off Wanda. That sounds depressing.

Is anyone reading it? Is it any good?