millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

Well, it’ll be no surprise that I do have it preordered.

In other news:

> It’s game over for the Sphacteria when James Stokoe’s “Aliens: Dead Orbit” launches April 26, 2017. “Aliens: The Original Comics Series Volume 2” goes on sale April 12, 2017

The second volume apparently collects 8 issues - covering the arcs Nightmare Asylum and Female War. The first volume that they did was a very nice piece of work, Absolute-size hardback, thick page, excellent reproduction and uncensored.

@Vikram - Can’t recall if you did take a look at that first volume? I know you tipped me off about the changes that were made post-Alien 3.

I was quite pleased when I scored copies of the original Aliens volume 2 miniseries in a flea market a few years ago, well after they’d edited the comics to match the name-changed novels.

The same place I nabbed the Alan Davies/Jamie Delano Captain Britain trade for a song as well, IIRC.

Whoah:

Neil Gaiman’s award-winning novel to be adapted into comic series in 2017

Today, Dark Horse is excited to announce the adaptation of American Gods into comic book form. Originally published in 2001 by William Morrow and Headline, American Gods is a Hugo and Nebula Award–winning novel by Neil Gaiman (How to Talk to Girls at Parties, The Sandman). North American rights were acquired from Gaiman’s literary agent, Merrilee Heifetz at Writers House. American Gods is the latest Gaiman adaptation from Dark Horse, preceded by graphic novel adaptations of How to Talk to Girls at Parties, Troll Bridge, Forbidden Brides, and many more. Starz will also premiere an American Gods TV show in spring 2017, adapted by Bryan Fuller (NBC’s Hannibal, CBS’s Star Trek: Discovery).

Dark Horse tapped P. Craig Russell (The Sandman: The Dream Hunters)—who, having worked on Coraline and The Graveyard Book, is no stranger to adapting Neil Gaiman’s work—to adapt and co-write the comic series, while Scott Hampton (Hellboy, Batman) lends his illustrative skills to the complex world Gaiman created. Glenn Fabry (Preacher) and Adam Brown (Predator vs. Judge Dredd vs. Aliens) create the hauntingly beautiful cover art. David Mack (Kabuki, Fight Club 2) and Dave McKean (Black Dog, Cages) provide variant covers for the first issue. The American Gods comic series will feature guest interior art by Walt Simonson (Thor), Mark Buckingham (Fables), Colleen Doran (The Sandman), P. Craig Russell, and more.

American Gods creator Neil Gaiman explained his excitement for the upcoming American Gods adaptations: “There’s a tremendous amount of excitement, in my house and in the world, about the American Gods TV series coming up on Starz. What we’ve managed to keep a secret until now is that there is something just as exciting out there: American Gods, the comic. I’ve been watching P. Craig Russell breaking down the book into comic form, watching Scott Hampton painting the pages, watching Glenn Fabry create the covers, and grinning to myself with delight, because the American Gods comic is going to be an astonishing, faithful, and beautiful adaptation.”

American Gods: Shadows #1 finds Shadow Moon released from jail only to discover his wife has died. Broken and uncertain about his future, Shadow Moon meets the mysterious Mr. Wednesday, who employs him to serve as his bodyguard. This fateful decision thrusts Shadow into a deadly supernatural world where ghosts of the past come back from the dead, and a brewing war between old and new gods hits a boiling point.

Dark Horse will adapt American Gods into twenty-seven single issues with three story arcs: Shadows, My Ainsel, and The Moment of the Storm, to be collected into three hardcover graphic novels. The first issue of American Gods: Shadows goes on sale March 15, 2017.

This could be quite something.

Tagging a few faves, just fer fun. Really want that McKean cover!

Impressive selection of artists. It’s almost worth getting just on the strength of those names.

But I can’t help thinking that if Neil Gaiman, of all people, thought that American Gods would be a good comic then it would have been a comic.

It’s not dissimilar from the approach they took with the Sandman: Dream Hunters series. That was an illustrated prose story by Gaiman, that Russell then adapted into a comics miniseries.

It’s different from a comics series written by Gaiman, obviously, but still an interesting and worthwhile exercise I think -especially with all that artistic talent involved.

I remember reading a piece by Flann O’Brien a couple of years ago about an adaptation of The Picture of Dorian Gray for the stage. His argument was that if Oscar Wilde had wanted it to be a play, it would have been a play.

You could make that argument about any adaptation, though, couldn’t you? I don’t think that the fact that a story was conceived in one form and has been translated to another makes the adaptation inherently worthless. Look at how many great movies have been made through adapting an existing work for the screen.

Looking at the argument from the other perspective, if Gaiman had thought that adapting American Gods into a TV show or a comic was an inherently bad idea, then presumably he would never have allowed it to happen.

I’m not that interested in the adaptation really but then there’s that art line-up which is pretty spectacular.

Thinking about it, it must have been 15 since I read the book (as I bought it when it came out and checked the release date) and I’ve rather forgotten what happens in it outside the general theme so it would be interesting to revisit the story.

I wasn’t arguing against it as an idea. Sorry if it came across that way. I should add the qualifier that I adapted The Picture of Dorian Gray for the stage (many years before I came upon the Flann O’Brien article).

Edit: And A Christmas Carol - which was a lot more fun to do.

Reading it back my post came across as more argumentative than I meant it to! I can see the argument both ways really.

No problem Dave. I didn’t think you were being in any way argumentative.

Maybe I should have been a bit more nuanced in what I was saying. It was a comment that I thought was interesting, but not something that I necessarily agree with. And adaptations aren’t a bad thing. How many classic movies are adaptations? I was waxing lyrical about The Magnificent Seven just the other day, which is an adaptation of Seven Samurai. And people may have noticed my minor obsession with James Bond.

Having done adaptations, I found that they can be a thankless task. The original author gets the credit for everything that goes right. Anything that goes wrong, is all your fault. Or if you go in your own direction, you risk ruining someone’s favourite book.

So you need to have a fairly solid take on the material.

Edit: The worst thing is when you spend time researching and realise that you absolutely hate the material.

I tried adapting some Bram Stoker short stories once for the stage (to tie in with a festival that happens in Dublin every year). I realised pretty quickly that I hated Bram Stoker’s writing. I thought he was a bit of a hack. On the up side, it did lead me to write a play where hack, socially awkward, proto-geek writer Bram Stoker is a central character, so at least I got something out of it.

Yeah, a lot of Gaiman’s short stories have been adapted into comics too. Moon and Ba’s How to Talk to Girls at Parties came out a few months ago, and Colleen Doran’s Troll Bridge came out this week.

Maybe this is the thing to fill the hole left by the concluding of Willingham’s Fables

Just for the record, I wasn’t saying this was a bad idea. Just struck me as a weird choice.

I actually have all three original mini-series in storage, Ben. I’ve read them so many times over the years I couldn’t really justify buying them in the hardcover. But Beauvais (sp?) and Keith’s artwork in “Absolute” size should be pretty spectacular.

Titan are bringing Dan Dare back. Wahey!

I will be interested to see who the creative team are going to be.

Did you read the Ennis-Erskine mini a few years back? I really enjoyed it.

I did indeed. It was absolutely fantastic.

It managed to be contemporary without making Dan Dare cynical or overly modern.

I really loved the near-literal version of WW2 battleships in space:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/cmx-images-prod/DigitalPage/11331698/f698eb22422ba16798737b7b53312177.SX640_QL80_TTD.jpg