millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

Hi paul, thanks very much for posting this. Much appreciated. I’ve phoned them up and placed an order. Some man, cheers.

Thanks Dave. Big Bang was costing £11 for shipping, plus £17.99 for the trade. I can’t justfiy nearly £30 for a 6 issue trade. Not their fault, just the way it is.

I’ve picked it up from FP for £19.99 all in. Still steep but I’ll pay it for Ennis and Epting given the lack of options.

I’m reckoning these will hit Ebay over time.

Dunkirk

By Sam Glanzman

Dunkirk is a high-quality, 48-page, square-bound volume reprinting the story of the same name which first appeared in Dell Comics’ Combat magazine in 1963. The reprint publisher is a company called IT’S ALIVE!, and the original art has been beautifully restored by some bloke called Allan Harvey, you’ve probably never heard of him but he’s worked before with such luminaries as Colleen Doran and others. (Full disclosure: he’s a friend of mine :slight_smile: .)

I’ll admit I didn’t know anything about the artist Sam Glanzman before ordering this book, but it seems that the man is a (forgotten?) legend, working solidly from the Golden Age through to the 80s in a number of genres but especially known for his detailed, realistic war comics (of which this, obviously, is one).

I used to love war comics—as a kid, I probably read more of them than I did superheroes—and by coincidence, I’d spent a lot of time reading about Dunkirk over the last year, so obviously my curiosity got the better of me when Allan brought this to my attention …

And I must say, it’s even better than expected. The story is a very by-the-numbers documentary, describing both the sweep and the detail of the battle with pretty good historical accuracy. The attention to detail for uniforms, ships, airplanes, and weapons in the art is superb, and in the battle scenes it pulls no punches, showing how chaotic and brutal the battle was. The narrative zooms in on a number of (presumably fictional) characters to show their point of view and give a bit of human interest, so it’s not a purely sterile account, there is drama here too.

Overall, I’m really impressed, and glad that I’ve already pre-ordered Glanzman’s other books from IT’S ALIVE!. Next up should be Midway, a battle I once researched for a history project at school, so that should be pretty interesting too.

There’s a couple of other Glanzman works you should check out David:

• A Sailor’s Story
  • USS Stevens

His art and storytelling are superb.

EDIT: Also need a link for that company - Google ain’t cutting it.

Guess that would have been helpful :slight_smile:

http://www.itsalivepress.com

You can order direct from them, but they’ve been asking people to order through their LCS if they can. to raise their profile.

They also tried to charge me $25 for shipping! There’s only three words in response to that:

Get Tae (blank)

You can fill in the blank. By the by, Red Range is worth a look too.

$25? :open_mouth: . I didn’t know that, as I took their advice and ordered through Forbidden Planet!

Which is why they are suggesting ordering through a comic shop (as well as that way they may also order one for the shelf too).

To be fair to very small publishers that is what it costs to mail stuff individually and securely. We see the same problems with Kickstarter stuff too and a lot of those that initially promised ‘free international shipping’ hit a serious loss. There’s every chance this is just run by one or two people, 8 books in nearly 3 years, my mum did more than that on her own with a small press out of the back room in the 80s.

Ordering through shops means they use the existing distribution platforms and the economies of scale those bring. That’s why the TKO stuff was so much cheaper through the Big Bang and Forbidden Planet.

As a digression I think this is where something like print on demand could see a future. It’s been seen mainly just as something for vanity projects but if you think about it many of the trades on the shelf next me have taken the following journey: Printed in China, sent to a publisher warehouse in the US, ordered by a bookstore in Malaysia and sent back out in the same direction. If you had a company operating in multiple countries that could print the same material then you could just instruct them to run off a copy for Ben in South East England and post it out at local rates (plus a massive carbon footprint reduction).

Image for April

Solicitations for April 2019

FINALLY!!!

Sex, Vol. 6: World Hunger TP

WRITER: Joe Casey
ARTIST: Piotr Kowalski
COVER A: Sonia Harris

APRIL 24 / 120 pages / FC/ M / $16.99

SEX returns in an all-new sixth volume! Return to the world of Saturn City and the various twisted characters who live there, as Simon Cooke embarks on a trek across the world to discover the illicit secrets of the so-called Illuminati—leaving his beloved city open to all manner of desperate depravity. You’ll never know how much you missed SEX until you read the newest chapter of this continuing saga!

Good to see Black Monday Murders back too; I just read the first TPB and enjoyed it.

Good to see Black Monday Murders is back and concluding - clearly Hickman’s decided not to go the long route on this one.

Looks like Eclipse will be wrapping up too. Again, good to see a writer not afraid of ending a story.

The Solicitations for April 2019 thread is up and running with:

AC Comics, Archie, Aspen, Mad Cave, Scout, Yen Press, and Image.

No longer at Dark Horse.

Going back to self-published. It may well make the most sense, I remember Terry Moore had Strangers in Paradise at Image for a while but took it back in-house. I think if you have quite a loyal following for your work and you do it all yourself anyway you can make more money that way.

Good to see his name again. I really liked his art.