millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

Either that or he’s trying to tell you something…

Monstress volume 2 won the Hugo Award for best Graphic Story, beating out Bitch Planet, Black Bolt, Saga, Paper Girls and My Favourite Thing is Monsters

Er…Todd’s LCS manager is female…

Man, that’s a tough category.

Comics legend Alan Moore, who announced he was “pretty much done” with the medium two years ago, is making a brief foray out of retirement to point an excoriating finger at Boris Johnson over the Grenfell Tower fire.

Moore, the author of the seminal graphic novels Watchmen and V for Vendetta, is one of 24 contributors to a forthcoming comic anthology, 24 Panels, which is designed to raise money for those affected by the fire that broke out in London’s 24-storey Grenfell Tower last year, killing 72 people. An illustrated poem, his comic, “If Einstein’s Right …”, touches on fragmentary moments from different lives and features a mug-shot image of Boris Johnson.

“That same year a Bullingdon club clown / swears that he’ll leave fire services alone, / Then, three years later, cuts them to the bone, / Says, ‘Get stuffed’ as ten stations are closed down,” writes Moore. “And twenty-seven engines fade from view. / He also shall endure forevermore. / His treacheries caught in time’s amber, for / Disgrace and shame are both eternal, too.”

Kieron Gillen, the Eisner award-nominated curator of the project, called the contribution, which is illustrated by Moore’s wife Melinda Gebbie, “one of the most politically charged pieces in the book”.

24 Panels is, according to Gillen, a “spiritual sequel” to 24 Stories, the short story collection put together earlier this year by the actor Kathy Burke, which featured contributions from writers including AL Kennedy and Irvine Welsh. Like 24 Stories, all proceeds will go the Trauma Response Network, which works to support PTSD survivors, especially those affected by Grenfell.

Like 24 Stories, 24 Panels features 12 works drawn from open submissions, and 12 from well-known comic writers and illustrators who volunteered their time. Alongside Moore and Gebbie’s story, the anthology will feature contributions from Laurie Penny, Paul Cornell, Dilraj Mann, Antony Johnston and Alex de Campi, among others. Published by Image Comics on 21 November, its stories are intended to promote “hope, community, positivity and unity”, according to organisers, with each submission no longer than 24 panels.

have added Ahoy, Amigo, Antarctic, and Top Cow

THE WICKED + THE DIVINE: THE FUNNIES #1 (ONE-SHOT)
WRITER / ARTIST: KIERON GILLEN, ERICA HENDERSON, CHIP ZDARSKY, KATE LETH, LARISSA ZAGERIS, KITTY CURRAN & more!
COVER A: JAMIE McKELVIE & MATT WILSON
COVER B: MARGAUX SALTEL
NOVEMBER 7 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99
Every ninety years gods are reborn as dogs. They are good dogs. They are very good dogs. In two years, they may have learned how to sit, which is one of several (count ‘em!) stories in this special. As THE WICKED + THE DIVINE prepares for its final arc, we invite a bunch of friends over, pass out the fizzy pop and sherbet and have a lovely time. Join us!

Heh.

Layman announced this on Facebook a few days ago. Sounds fun.

OUTER DARKNESS #1
WRITER: JOHN LAYMAN
ARTIST / COVER: AFU CHAN
NOVEMBER 7 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99
Sci-fi and horror collide in this new series from the co-creator of CHEW!
Mankind has colonized the galaxy, but during our interstellar travels, we discovered a terrifying secret out in the Outer Darkness of space. Join Captain Joshua Rigg and the crew of the starship Charon as they encounter demonic possessions, hauntings, cosmic horror, and more!
All-star writer JOHN LAYMAN (CHEW) and artist AFU CHAN (Immortal Iron Fists) are ready to let you know that outer space is terrifying.

Yeah, sounds fun. Final arc coming up huh? Good. Sounds like it’ll be 8 trades, 4 OHCs worth of material.

There’s going to be a TPB collecting all the one-shots too.

Thanks, so maybe one last big OHC then? Ah sod it, I’ll buy it whether it’s one or two volumes!

Yeah, I think they’ve said the final OHC will be three TPBs.

Have you read the Wicked and Devine, Ben?

The first volume annoyed me a bit, because I really disliked the characters - however I like the creative team and it seems to be a book that is always highly spoken off.

I’m thinking I should maybe give it another go.

While I appreciate that what I dub Hipster Gillen can really irritate, I quite like it and buy knowing that’s what I’m getting. There’s also the draw of McKelvie, there’s something about these two together - tends to result in great comics.

I’m currently stockpiling the OHCs for a super-read, probably next year once OHC4 comes out. So can’t yet give you a definitive reason to jump back on.

I read OHC1 and liked what I got, in that it’s looking at young vs old, fame, celebrity, life’s meaning or lack of, never mind how much choice is involved in it all.

Have added Archie, Scout, Vault, Viz Media, and Image

I’m loving the Wicked and Divine - reading it monthly at the min puts me on tenterhooks all month, its going to be a completely different experience as a trade read.

For anyone who’s interested, I think this is going be rather good. (Full disclosure: I know the person who’s doing the restoration work on this, and he needs the work so I’m biased. But on the other hand, he does great work :slight_smile: )

The press release was timestamped 10 hours ago (as I post this) so the earlybird offer should still be valid, with the “limited numbers” caveat:

Sign Up Now for SUPER EARLY BIRD SPECIALS from the upcoming Kickstarter to publish THE LONELY WAR OF CAPT. WILLY SCHULTZ by William Franz​ & Sam Glanzman (with additional illustrations by Wayne Vansant​). Please send email to:

samglanzman@gmail.com

For those not familiar…The Lonely War of Capt. Willy Schultz was originally published by Charlton Comics back in the 1960s. This series -written by a sixteen year old Will Franz, and illustrated by an already seasoned comic book creator (and WWII veteran) Sam Glanzman- is one of the most dramatic, moving and controversial comic book stories of all time. It tells the story of an American solider of German heritage, who finds himself on the wrong side of WWII. It was reportedly responsible for making conscientious objectors out of young American men at the height of the Vietnam War, causing the United States Military -at that time- to pressure Charlton to cancel the series (which they did), leaving the story of The Lonely War unfinished.

Anyone who has been lucky enough to read The Lonely War would surely agree that a proper collection of this work is long overdue. More importantly, it is a story that deserves an ending. The original artist on the series, Sam Glanzman, sadly passed away last year. But several years before his passing, he had already clearly communicated to Will Franz that he was unable to draw the ending. In fact, he encouraged Franz to find someone to help him wrap things up. Enter renowned war comics artist Wayne Vansant, who has agreed to draw an ending based on a new script by Will Franz, helping to finally bring this incredible story to a close.

If you want a shot at the Super Early Bird Specials on the upcoming Kickstarter campaign to publish The Lonely War of Capt. Willy Schultz by William Franz & Sam Glanzman (with additional illustrations by Wayne Vansant, and a historical essay by Stephen Bissette), please send an email to:

samglanzman@gmail.com

Super Early Bird Specials will only be available during the first 24 hours of the campaign, and there will be a very limited number of each up for grabs. Imagine being able to pick up a copy of this limited edition hard cover, which will only be available from this Kickstarter campaign, for only $29 (instead of $49), or a limited edition edition hard cover with a bookplate signed by Will Franz, Sue Glanzman (Sam Glanzman’s widow), and Wayne Vansant for only $49 (instead of $79), or a page of original LONELY WAR art by renowned war comic book artist Wayne Vansant for only $150 (instead of $250). Don’t miss your shot at these incredible savings!

REMEMBER, to sign up for Super Early Bird Specials, send an email to:

samglanzman@gmail.com

Best,

Drew Ford
Publisher
IT’S ALIVE!

Boom! Studios, Dark Horse, Oni Press and 17 more were added.
The total of solicitations for this thread is now 33

Oh, and PreviewsWorld Order Forms