millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

I loved the first issue of Gideon Falls, I’m looking forward to the trade and someone regretful that I’m waiting on it.

If you enjoy that and Providence I think you might like A Walk Through Hell also

Which actually means they aren’t ‘fly-by-night’ as it means short lived and they’ve been going for 22 years.

I think really here there’s an overestimation of what it takes to run a small publisher. Knockabout comics have been going for 40 years or so and they are a husband and wife team working from home. Even Image until a couple of years back had 16 full time employees. As far as I’ve always been aware none of the comics publishers print their own comics, Marvel used Quebecor for years, probably still do. (It’s actually long been a point of confusion for some that publishers and printers aren’t entirely separate).

It seems pretty obvious they are hitting harder times with the Kickstarters and reducing output and overall I think that’s sad as they have put out good product in among the not so good.

Changing the subject from Avatar for a moment; I hadn’t heard about this:

Looks like it could be interesting.

Traditionally, none of the comic publishers print their own comics. Diamond actually adds incentives for this with free pick up. It used to be Quebecor but I think they’ve now sold that part of the business. Once upon a time, all US comics were published in Sparta, Illinois by a company that Quebecor purchased, Worldcolor. This isn’t far from my hometown and I actually knew someone who worked at the printing plant. I didn’t see them very often but could sometimes get comp comics when I did.

Sure but that’s for their convenience to save logistics costs with a single location. In publishing I have never heard of any company really that prints their own books.

I only say that because my mother has run a small publishing house for 40 years from home, and I took over it for a year before heading back to college, and whenever I mention either at least half of the people I speak to think that means you are printing them.

You can do it with just a small office and a computer and make a decent living if you do it correctly. The odds are generally against it but if you hit the right niche I know people who’ve done well and one guy who became a millionaire (Mike Young who did small Superted books from his garage),

RR Donnelly print Marvel’s stuff (their trades at least), which I remember because they have a branch down the road from me (a friend works there, even) but it only prints bills, not the fun stuff.

I should have specified periodicals. Trades are a different ballgame in comics.

re: Avatar

Way back when I was buying monthlies, Avatar frequently made my local’s crap list. Why? Lots and lots of variant covers for small, low-profile books that would have been murder to order for without the variants. I doubt it has changed.

The bigger problem is they do have some damn smart material that’s way above the bargain basement jerk-off fuel, but they haven’t really pushed it. Uber is the example talked of here, but why didn’t they push Black Summer or Red Rover Charlie more? The latter could really sell, if people knew of it.

“That’s right, I just finished inking the last panel on the last page of I Hate Fairyland #20. What I’ve know for a while, but you just found out, was that’s the last page of the series, at least for now,” writes Young. “I know, some of you are probably cursing my name right now while some of you are saying, ‘It’s about time.’ Either way, I knew it was time for me to bring Gert’s story to an end for the time being.”

When I did the Purge/Cleansing of my comic book collection, I kept those two series.

RRC was such a brilliant series and I think better than WE3.

Strange as it sounds, I see this as good news. The book is brilliant, but it never felt like the kind of book that should have a long run - just never felt it had the fuel in the tank for a big amount of issues.

Better to burn out than to fade away!

It was brilliant, I mean look at this:

Having only read the first 10 issues (in the first OHC), I’m fine with this. It’s a series that could easily wear out its welcome if it stuck around for an extended period.

Their strategy is wrong, even now every drive they have is for new monthly material while they sit on a solid gold back catalogue doing nothing with it.

This can be a problem with small press players when they are passionate to see the new books out there but if they want income they are ignoring the elephant in the room that they have a complete Alan Moore penned series and the first volume is out of print.

They should be earning a constant basic revenue from those books. It’s actually what all prose publishers business plans are built on, they get a regular income from evergreen material like JK Rowling, Stephen King or JRR Tolkien or even Dan Brown, Jeffrey Archer and Danielle Steele and the new material is essentially a punt that it’ll be the next one of those.

Is it possible that for some reason their rights to publish their back catalog is in question? Can’t imagine why they wouldn’t otherwise.

No, they just released a new (limited edition and very expensive) boxset of the Providence HCs a couple of months ago.

I can’t see how or why. They have the digital sales of it all, they have The Courtyard by Moore seemingly out of print, Neonomicon is collected cheaply and in print, Providence never has been.

I think they just can’t see past the way they’ve always done things. Pumping out new periodicals.

Black Science #31-36 - we’re into the final stretch of this series now (#42 will be the last). The craziness continues, in an arc that seems to bring a lot of the ongoing conflicts of the book to a conclusion. There are many twists, turns, and outlandish craziness to keep everyone entertained. But, the real impressive stuff is the character growth that Remender puts Grant through. Rick has been saying for a long time now that Grant would be getting his shit together and stepping up soon. This is where that starts to happen, and I look forward to seeing how far he goes over the remaining issues in the series.

There are some really lovely, almost poetic, turns of phrase in this run. That hit you in the heart quite hard. The book has always been about family, the messed up relationships that come with it, and living in the moment because you never know what could happen next. Maybe it’s the sort of sentiment that you have to be in a particular frame of mind to fully appreciate. It’s certainly the work of someone who has realised the ephemeral nature of life, and it strikes a chord. I’m struggling to put into words how affecting it was. Especially #36. Brilliant work.

How do you get on with Remender’s other books Vik?

I’m finding that almost everything he does resonates with me on some level.

I’m a big fan. I enjoyed a lot of his Marvel work - Venom and Uncanny X-Force especially - but his creator owned stuff that he has been focusing on the last few years is on a whole other level. I think Black Science is amazing; I find Low a little too dark at times, but incredibly imaginative. Tokyo Ghost was stunning. It’s pretty clear he’s of the same age, mindset and life experience as I am - a lot of what he writes echoes my thoughts and feelings these days.

I haven’t read Deadly Class, Seven to Eternity, or his newest one yet. But, I will get to them. Probably sooner rather than later.

Seconded. I need to pick up the big OHC some time.