millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

They’re doing a web series called Ninjak vs the Valiant Universe, it’s officially licensed and looks fun. There’s a tie-in comic as well

yes they did. they had good things to say about them. They recommended everyone go see Ninjak vs the Valiant Universe. it is up on Comicbook.com

I read Southern Bastards #15-20 today, the “Gut Check” story arc. When the schedule of this book went totally off the rails, I decided to keep the issues in my to read pile until I could read the whole thing at once. For the record, #15 came out before Trump won the election back in 2016; #20 came out early May 2018.

It’s a brilliant book. You all know that. Along with Lazarus, Black Science, and Rumble, these are amongst the very best, premier league Image titles being published today (and, arguably, ever). And, this arc, is a tense, dramatic, game changing storyline.

What it also is, however, is a scary, dark reflection of the post- Brexit/ post- Trump world we live in today. The clear and present racism, the unrepentant bad guys, the ineffectual protagonists, and everyone else turning a blind eye, looking out for no one but themselves. I didn’t get the triumphant cathartic ending I wanted; leaving me angry as I turned that final page, and hitting me in the gut with the hopelessness of it all. Amazing book. Truly.

By the way, just like the prior arc, Latour ended up writing one of the issues in this arc, with Chris Bruner on art. Last time it was quite a disappointing interlude. This time, it was actually one of my favourite instalments.

If you’ve abandoned this book because of the ridiculous shipping schedule, I hope you reconsider. You’ll be missing out on something great if you don’t.

Now updated to 32

Rumble #1-5 (vol 2) - “Soul Without Pity” - James Harren was a big part of why the previous volume of this book rocked; his art is so energetic and expressive. I was justifiably worried when he chose to leave the book. Fortunately, John Arcudi and Dave Stewart are sticking around, and they brought David Rubín on board too. Rubin’s art is radically different than his predecessor’s, although it does share many of the same sensibilities - the monsters are just as out there, and the design work just as inventive, but his action scenes are far less bombastic. The storyline of this arc was also far more somber, following the climatic events of the previous volume. This was very much the “pause, regroup, and onwards to the next” part of the ongoing storyline. As such, I’m not sure that it’s a great jumping on place (ironically, given it’s the start of a new volume), however, if you’re one of the five people who bought the previous series, it’s definitely worth a look. Hopefully the pace and craziness will pick up again in the next arc.

For Grandville fans (which should include everybody in their right mind), and probably for anyone that has ever wanted to make comics, this should be essential reading. I’ve seen Bryan do his talk about the creation of Grandville, and learned so much about the history and medium of not just comics but art and literature in general

http://www.bryan-talbot.com/grandvilledirectorscut/index.php

This is similar in concept to the Directors Cut of Heart of Empire that Bryan and myself created: it is an attempt to answer the eternal “where do you get your ideas from?” question, and a way to showcase the influences and images that went into the creation of Grandville.

Wasn’t really where to put this one.

But I think for the most part, we understand that the comic customer can be extremely generous but also a little harsh in terms of the in-store environment.

The how you say?

Put this in the wrong thread.

I read the first collection of Warren Ellis’ INJECTION. It resembles pretty much everything Ellis has written before from The Authority to Global Frequency to Doktor Sleepless and Desolation Jones. If you like those, you will like this. However, it has the feel of “low budget filmmaking” in that very little action actually happens in the first trade and what does happen actually is very small scale. Interesting but not very novel or innovative which is ironic considering its theme is accelerating innovation.

Overall I like Ellis but it feels like he really needs to take a long break to recharge and refresh. Reading his weekly email Orbital Operations, he seems to have a full slate of projects across various media in addition to reading for research and recreation. It comes across that his days are completely packed. That has to affect your creativity. It seems like his work is basically the same template but the variable is whatever new concept/idea has caught his fancy. It seems like his projects never finish or they simply peter out. I wonder if he gets bored.

I appreciate Mark Millar and the way he works. He limits his output. While his work definitely has his signature, they are very different and feel fresh. I think Ellis would benefit from following Mark’s example.

Just saw this preview of The Seeds #1 - I think this is the first I’d seen of interior art.

I think this might be something special.

I hereby promise my potential future artists to write better than repetitive images.

Aja’s work looks amazing as always. Is there not going to be colour though?

I don’t know. I like the duotone thing so far though.

It does look great, but I think that Matt Hollingsworth’s colours on Hawkeye have spoiled me. Like after seeing Jamie Grant’s colours on Quitely in All Star. It’s hard to see something else.

It does indeed look, well…

Ah yes:

I think that is Ellis’s problem. Whatever happened to Fell and Doktor Sleepless anyway?

I’ll never buy a comic by Ellis again, just finished stories in trades.

Fell was all one-shot stories anyway, so it wasn’t a problem. In many ways the format was perfect for Ellis.

I would have liked to find out what was up with the Nixon mask nun.

Was Trees ever concluded?