millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

Now that people already mentioned Jawbreakers here, seems it doing solid bussiness. Raised a shitload of dough. I don’t know for the exact numbers… 200.000$?! Some people (mostly left-wing) hates it, but some like Chuck Dixon supports it. Maybe, I’ll check it up some day.
The art looks 90s style. Some busty lady appears (yuck - I prefer these female superherous tall, slim and voluptous, David Finch or Frank Cho style)
It seems that whole purpose of Jawbreakers is to piss and provoke the major (liberal) players at the big publishers, attacking their occassional hypocrisy and politics.
I’d give money - I respect these small, personal projects, regardless the subject matter, but I am totally pennilles.

I struggle with this too. Always had a main job and side hustles, until the Day of Doom. What I’ve found is that giving support and spreading the word (if heartfelt) is every bit as valuable.

But cash is nice!

Regardless of subject matter, and Jawbreakers doesn’t appeal to me at all, I have largely given up on Kickstarter or Indiegogo for comics. Someone pointed out the average payment for their book was $37.

Good for them but yesterday on Comixology that would have bought me 10 incredible quality Moebius collections. Not one early 90s derivative comic.

I have supported a couple, purely for people I know like Umar Ditta and Elliot but outside that, no.

If you raise $200k why wouldn’t you just self-publish a digital version and sell it on Comixology or your own website? Or just do a small run vanity printing?

I don’t get why they’re being stopped from making their book, unless the goal is actually to cry about being a victim and bring more attention to themselves. No, that can’t be the reason. It must be something else.

I only supported one ks comic so far, and it was really out of love, Section Zero by Karl Kessel. That along with Waid’s Empire were the two titles from Gorilla Comics that really grabbed me back then.

It’s just really expensive, and I understand why to a degree but it’s not the future of publishing for me if they ask $10 for a PDF of a 24 page comic (which is a really common price point) or $20 for print sent overseas. It would have to be of incredibly high quality compared to a Marvel or DC comic I can get for $1.99 on Comixology.

So basically trolling to get attention and make money.

And as stated - this guy doesn’t have a good track record at all with these crowdfunding campaigns.
It’s an emperors new clothes deal.

Well yes I was speaking generally but if someone has raised and not delivered before it’s instantly on the shit list.

I’ve backed a couple of Kickstarted comics, mostly ones that are fundraising for a cause I support, and in all cases the digital version has been affordable at least (though shipping on physical copies can often be prohibitive). A lot of webcomics creators I like use KS to make collections of their work, and the pricing is always in line with traditionally published work too.

(so what I’m saying is, wingnut welfare)

Notice how the crowdfunding campaign is on Indiegogo? They let you keep the money even if the campaign doesn’t meet its goals, unlike Kickstarter.

Both Kickstarter and IndieGoGo don’t manage the money after the funding event has completed - save for exceptional circumstances. The main difference is that kickstarter only takes and passes on money if the target it made, indiegogo supports half funded projects.

Yeah, at this point, with Jawbreakers past the initial funding level it’s academic, but worth keeping in mind.

I think that’s what they are doing. The Antarctic Press arrangement was a side deal for further distribution, which is part of the reason stores weren’t interested in carrying it - most of its audience is just going to get it directly.

I mean, I assume that’s what it was. Given the lack of understanding about the comics industry, it’s entirely possible that they were intending to have a proper publisher help fulfil the IndieGogo orders.

AP have crowdfunded books in the past as well, most notably their Ninja High School omnibus series. So at least one part of that equation knew how the campaign would interact with the direct market.

But given friends of mine with gaming stores have steadily reduced the orders they place for games that were crowdfunded because they often don’t sell at retail, I wouldn’t be surprised if comic shop owners were making similar calculations

But where is the fun in publishing your own material? :grin::grin::grin:

Anyway, what I could gather is that Mark Waid “pressured” Antarctic not to publish JB - Lost Souls.

Though his influence is later denied.

Yeah and it’s in one of the articles that Antarctic Press seems to be a semi-pro setup at best nowadays. The boss is quoted as saying he has another day job.

It’s a really good point. There’s something about Kickstarter that makes you spend more than you would normally consider for a product. I don’t know if it’s the warm feeling that you’re directly helping the creators with something, or what, but there’s definitely some weird psychology involved.

The last KS book I got was Kros by Ostrander and Mandrake. Now, I would always jump at anything they do, and it’s a great book, and I don’t regret backing it, but… I spent $75 on a 160-page softcover trade. If I saw it on a shelf marked at that price I would keep on walking. But because it’s kickstarter… ooo, it’s worth it!! (??? :confused: :man_shrugging: ).

There’s a thesis waiting to be written on the psychology of why we back kickstarters. I suspect the findings would be fascinating and a little bit worrying.

I’d be shocked if they were ever more than a semi-pro group. I mean, they had decent sales on Gold Digger, Ninja High School, and Tigers of Terra back in the day. But I doubt they had more than a couple of full-time employees at their height.

Yeah true enough, they probably did in the 90s boom I would guess.

I’d never really thought about it with a publisher at that level. You know about them doing their thing with a few books but usually it’s either self publishers like Abstract or Cartoon Books where they do it all themselves or the bigger names we know like Boom or IDW. I know Top Shelf had a small full time staff because Robert Venditti used to work for them (now they are an offshoot of IDW).