millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

Would you assume the same of Dark Horse, or Image or Valiant?

We could ask the OP who said he drew for them.

I doubt very much they pay as well as Marvel and DC but they must do to get stuff out at that level, as people here have found, trying to hit schedules with unpaid work is pretty impossible.

Not exactly but they’re not selling an 80+ page hardcover for $9.99. There’s something in the economics of that model that aren’t adding up. I’m surprised $9.99 would cover the printing much less anything else. Most Kickstarters don’t even sell that low.

Yes, but that seems rude :slight_smile:

Sorry if I was misleading … softcover, not hard. Think of something like the 80-page Action Comics 1000. What did that retail for?

$9.95 seems around the right price point for a 4-issue softcover trade, I think?

Saddle-stitched doesn’t denote hardback, it’s used for paperbacks as well. It basically means they’re a better quality binding than a bookshelf format comic

Ah, sorry. My mistake. I assumed saddle-stitched was something much different. It’s basically the floppy comic format. I was just unfamiliar with the lingo and assuming that meant it was a sewn binding.

https://www.formaxprinting.com/blog/2009/12/printing-lingo-what-does-saddle-stitch-mean/

That makes a lot more sense economically. Action Comics #1000 was square bound (or perfect bound as I’ve just learned is probably the proper binding lingo) and $7.99 for a similar amount of pages.

I haven’t really read Savage Dragon beforehand - maybe an issue here or there (the Jim Lee #13 is a personal fave, but not really the same thing) - but he’s always existed on the periphery of my comic book reading. I keep thinking I should give it a go, but with over 200 issues of continuity now it’s a pretty daunting thing to do. Recently, ComiXology did a 60% off Image codeword sale, so I finally took a chance on it. I picked up a few recent issues and a few from right back at day #1.

I started with Savage Dragon #226, with Malcolm Dragon (the son of the character I was familiar with, and now the title character in the book) burying his father, and being thrown out of the USA as an illegal alien by executive order of President Trump.

#227 had Dragon adjusting to life in Toronto; #228 had a graphic 3 page sex scene; #229 likewise; #230 had lots of literal nazi punching (“It’s never not okay to punch a nazi!”); and, #231 has the attack of the sex dolls, whilst in an alternate dimension three supporting characters were threatened with gang rape, but get saved by the timely intervention of that dimension’s Dragon or his brother or something equally off the wall.

Whew!

It’s a crazy book. It really is. Larsen’s art is … well not really my thing. It’s a little rough round the edges, and not exactly anatomically accurate, but there’s no denying the energy and his story telling skills.

The series itself seems to almost aimlessly wander around from one random plot twist to another. There’s a lot of button pushing, because, well “why not”? And, as a result, each issue flys by really quickly. My average read time was 5-10 minutes per book (double or triple that if you include the letters pages).

That all being said, there is an undeniable charm to the book. You want to know what crazy situation will unfold next. You want to see what’s the next button Larsen’s going to lean on just for kicks. And, you have to admire the fully realised, self contained (almost) universe that exists within its pages.

I don’t think I like it enough to buy it day & date, but I certainly plan on picking up further issues cheaply in future Image sales.

I’m glad you gave it a try, Vikram, and I hope you try it again somewhere down the road. One of Erik Larsen’s habits as a writer is that he likes to constantly surprise the reader by shaking up the style of storytelling and sending the story in unanticipated directions. If you don’t care for the current storyline, try again in 8 months and he’ll be doing something different that might be more to your liking.

I bought a couple of the huge phonebook editions of Savage Dragon. Larsen does have a style that seems to randomly flit about but read in larger chunks you can see in that longer form pretty much all of the subplots go somewhere.

I thought about buying digital versions of those Archives in this sale. I could have got all 9 volumes, covering something like 230 issues, for just under £40. I decided against it though, because I think Larsen’s artwork really works better in colour. How did you find the b&w?

Fine but with the caveat I generally don’t care unless it’s some amazing painterly stuff. I regularly forget which stories in 2000ad are in colour or not. :smile:

Lobster Johnson is Mignola’s pulp hero, set in 1930’s New York. The series exists in the Hellboy universe but is very much standalone. John Arcudi has been the primary writer since the second mini- series, with Tonci Zonjic the main artist. It’s very enjoyable, and recommended for anyone who enjoys the classic pulp heroes or Francavilla’s Black Beetle, for example.

The Pirate’s Ghost #1-3 wraps up many of the ongoing plot threads in this series.

Mangekyo was a weird little one shot, drawn by Ben Stenbeck.

Kingsman The Secret Service

All I can say is - Chief did it again! Despite the fairly cliched and seen many times with the same gimmicks, the book is actually quite fun to read. I don’t know if was the Millar’s attention, but it brings me the memories of good ol’ classic 80s films. Like some over the top parody of James Bond, occassionally filled with engaging humor and superb action. The plot is standard, a megalomaniacal world-hating richboy wants to destroy most of human population. The ending is kinda cheesy and like a bad joke to me. Which, beside art, are my only complaints. I mean, art is tremendous, but facial expressions are not Gibbons’ thing.

Wow, that piece had a definite right-leaning bias and was full of bullshit.

Some asshole DID doxx stores and employees from a private Facebook group.

About the reply with the same

Just spotted this:

EDIT: So, a mere 3 years or so later, Titan have gotten around to translating the third volume:

Time to see what else those jokers are up to.

Yeah. In the comments the author says “Big Bang Comics made no mention of targeted harassment” (paraphrasing) which is a sneaky way of ignoring the wave of hate they got sent to them (and tried to rise above by ignoring) and to Bruno’s personal account.

Great news on the Brubaker/Phillips front - Brubaker has been teasing some kind of OGN for a while in the letters page of Kill Or Be Killed but this title hadn’t been revealed yet as far as I know.