millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

re: Lazarus changes

Thinking about it a bit more, they haven’t actually changed the quantity of content - average monthly page count is 20-22, so a 66-page quarterly is the same level but Rucka wouldn’t be limited to having to package it into 20-22 page chunks.

For a writer like Rucka this is more significant than it sounds, as with more overall space he can go into more depth and make each bigger episode a more satisfying read - which is very suited to this book.

It’s 44 pages of comic, 22 of the back matter (a lot of which is done by Eric Trautmann I believe in collaboration with Rucka).

On any other book, that’d sound crap, but back matter for Lazarus is awesome.

On the OHC front, the reckoning would be for OHC3 to be Volume 5 + Lazarus 66 + back matter?

Ed Brubaker always has interesting and measured thoughts on the state of the comics market.

Here’s the latest from his newsletter (also published in the latest issue of Kill Or Be Killed), in response to a reader’s question.

Obviously he isn’t going to slag off Image comics but they are just as responsible for the glut as Marvel and DC and it is imo a bit disingenuous to blame it on corporate quarterly sales reports and shareholders. When I go into the comics store I can’t believe how many Image books I see. It’s simply an overwhelming amount of books, of all stripes, on the shelves. Which wouldn’t be a problem if the demand were there.

Edit- although to be clear I do agree with most of what he says and appreciate his thoughts.

The big differences between Image and the Big Two, in my opinion, are the diversity of product and the lack of a shared universe. With multiple titles featuring the same characters, and frequent line-wide crossover events, Marvel and DC require you to buy books you might not care for, in order to get the entire story. That doesn’t happen with Image. I don’t have to read Kirkman’s Walking Dead in order to enjoy his Outcast or Invincible (a horror book, a supernatural book, and a superhero book, respectively).

On that basis, the number of Image titles is not detrimental to the industry the way that Brubaker says Marvel and DC are.

I think that one of the problems with Image is that their books, while “diverse,” also sort of blur into each other with a slew of vague titles and a couple of house styles of art. Unless a book breaks out and makes a name for itself like Walking Dead or_Saga_, the offerings just come off as a lot of background noise.

I strongly disagree with this - if we take a snapshot of some of the best art on Image books at the moment you have Nguyen on Descender, Craig on Deadly Class, Latour on Southern Bastards, Tocchini on Low, Lemire on Royal City, Scott on Black Magick, Phillips on Kill or Be Killed, Opena on Seven to Eternity, Sorrentino on Gideon Falls, JRJR on Kick Ass, Shakey Kane on The Beef, Lark on Lazarus, Scalera on Black Science, Chaykin on Divided States of Hysteria…that’s just artist and books off the top of my head - there’s far from a couple of different house styles in the art there - that’s some of the greatest artists who have ever worked in comics and the books don’t blur into each other either.

You forgot to mention Nick Dragotta on East of West, and Paul Azaceta on Outcast.

Did anybody read Death of Love by Justin Jordan? I picked the first issue recently and my God, I don’t think I’ll continue along with it. It certainly isn’t the only book about looser, but this one is so pathetic and filled with cringeworthy moments and pukey dialogue, that in the end, I tore it to pieces.

Previews Text went up, and the month ends with solicits from 37 companies, 35 for this thread.
If more come, I’m there.

May has 5 Wednesdays, so August solicitations may seem to take a little longer.
Again, got you covered. Probably start the thread on the weekend.

This is a great move for IDW. Barber was the best editor their TF line ever had, taking a series that floundered between various tonally contradictory soft reboots and had a completely laissez-faire attitude to even issue to issue continuity of character design, and presiding over it being forged into a tight cohesive whole (before it started getting over-extended again, but let’s forget that for a moment).

I hope he’s able to bring that integrity of vision to the whole IDW output.

This looks like it could be interesting:

Impressive art, anyway:

I think Image today can be described thusly: as the modern Vertigo. With all implied wild successes and just plain wild storytelling. I think it would benefit the company a great deal to put out a lot more miniseries and a lot fewer ongoing series.

Oh, that is steampunk-fabulous.

It’s just ocurred to me that we’ve never discussed this here, and I don’t know why not. AC Comics publish Femforce quarterly now, as an 80+ page saddle-stitched anthology for $9.95.

So they’re successfully publishing 1) an anthology 2) the size of a 4-issue trade 3) quarterly 4) cheaper than 4 issues from Marvel or DC 5) uninterrupted and never late shipping for the past several years. All things which conventional wisdom says you can’t do.

And nobody even knows they exist :anguished:

Why aren’t we praising this from the rooftops as an awesome model for how to publish on-going comics?

It’s a professionally made comic with new content where the creators are paid for their work?

As far as I am aware, yes, yes, and I assume yes. AC also does golden-age reprint books, but Femforce features new stories by multiple creators, all set in an on-going shared universe. I’m not privvy to who does or doesn’t get paid for it.

I guess the distinction I’m making is that if this is a fanfic kind of thing where people are just doing it for fun, that’s something different. We’re assuming with Marvel and DC that people are actually getting paid.

As I say, I don’t know the business practices. The company has been publishing comics for at least 25 years, and puts out multiple titles, from multiple creators, selling them through comic shops as well as mail order. If they’re all amateurs working for fun, that’s a really serious level of dedication to their hobby. I honestly don’t know, you’d have to ask one.