millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

Ales Kot has been more miss than hit for me. His stuff can start off well but can go off the rails and fall into a canyon. As I have said before, he wants to be Grant Morrison but doesn’t have the skill set yet to pull it off. The first series I read of his was Change and was a mess. Zero started well but the last third of the series seemed like it should have been part of a completely different series.

I’d agree with this.

Also, Days of Hate has such a poisonous attitude that I found it hard to read.

Have added Image, AfterShock, Avatar, Boom! Studios, and Valiant

Damn. Image are really pumping out the #1’s i July.

Total company solicits (for this thread) now up to 26, as well as Previews Order Forms.

Fri. edit: Dark Horse brings the total up to 27

War Stories #23-26, “The Flower Of My Heart”, brings Garth Ennis’ Avatar series to a close, with a very human story set in the Italian WWII theatre. It’s certainly not the best or most memorable story in the run, but ends on a suitably poignant note for the last story in the series.

Tomas Aria’s artwork, on the other hand, was probably the best I’ve seen from him. The art was always the weakest link in this series, and why it will never be as fondly remembered as Garth’s Battlefields series, or other war stories elsewhere. However, Aria certainly developed over the course of the run, especially when it comes to depicting military equipment and engagements. I wouldn’t be averse to seeing his artwork again elsewhere.

I have similar feelings. In past I’ve been pretty vocal at how much I’ve disliked the art in the Avatar War Stories but I definitely think it’s got better as the series has got on. I’ve found the facial details are better defined now than they were at the start.

I heard today that Lazarus is moving to a quarterly 66 page comic (but 44 will be story pages and the rest back matter, which will probably be quite unique to that book due to the world building stuff).

In theory that’s no big issue and even a good idea. It really means 8 issues a year which is as good as we get from a lot of creator owned comics. Plus the ‘sourcebook’ stuff will be thrown in.

My fear is that the main issue seems to be Lark hitting deadlines and I’m not sure pushing them out helps. We had this announcement from ‘Sex’ a long while back and as far as I know nothing has appeared.

Yeah. Not sure how I feel about this format change. It’s the sort of thing that saps a book of any forward momentum, and positively encourages trade waiting. I’ll still support it, because the book is awesome, but I don’t think it’s going to end up being a good thing for the book in the long run.

It has to hit the deadlines and each chunk will have to hit harder.

I’m not inclined to bet against this creative team, but this might not be the easier route.

As long as it comes out as promised I think it’s fine. As I said most Image books follow the Chew/Saga model of only 9 issues a year. A double sized issue every 3 months is ok.

I just worry that in the past when you knock a deadline back artists tend to relax with them.

One thing is the book has been optioned by Amazon TV so if sales are struggling (which would be a travesty as it’s one of the best books on the stands) they could get a boost if that makes it onto the screen and is good.

I thought the issue wasn’t that Lark was blowing deadlines but that he was getting burned out from doing the same thing for so long. At least that’s what I remember the reasoning being for X+6.

Yeah it was, that’s what has me concerned.

Yeah, that’s kind of a risky business model.

Even though you’re cutting the frequency of the release and increasing the page count at a, presumably, higer cover price, it’s probably going to sound like a zero sum game.

Consider a semi-monthly (8x per year ) $3.99 32 pg. book that becomes a quarterly 64pg book at a $7.99 cover price. All things considered, it’s the same number of pages per year at the same price.

But consumers and retailers might balk at the higher cover price and reduced frequency. Delays tend to impact the sales of most titles, and the higher cover price might cause retailers to order more conservatively because they don’t want their capital tied up in unsellable $7.99 books. Unless your name is Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman, it seems like a perilous move.

Historically, I think titles that have done this haven’t lasted long. It might sound good on paper, but I think the market forces of the DM work against this publishing model.

And, on the subject, isn’t Astro City going to start a similar publishing model later this year?

Yes it is.

Although I could be just speaking too much from personal taste (as we all do really without much in the way of data) but I’m not so sure if lower frequency harms books more than unexplained delays.

A fair few Image books since Chew have taken the same 3 months off approach with seemingly no great impact, Love and Rockets even switched to a big annual and seems okay, but when you get the likes of Powers or Southern Bastards that have lost any semblance of a schedule you start to drift off.

Yeah, but I think Astro City is more suited to it. It doesn’t really do ongoing plots that require immediate continuation, it’s far more relaxed.

Poor Stephanie, dead again?

Obligatory joke made.

Thanks, I’ve picked up the first collection from the image sale on Comixology. Odd that I missed this book completely