millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

I often wonder what the exact point when the internet became an accretion disk for assholes was.

It’s like they were always out there, floating around alone, and then suddenly they’re attaching to facebook, twitter, and reddit, among others.

Almost immediately.

I’ve just been side stepping all of these online debates now…

The most vocal on both sides of the argument are dickheads.

Not the same subject, but in the same area It’s kinda why I enjoyed the least season of American Horror Story so much, it really poked fun at both vocal right and left in politics.

Indeed, lest we forget, this image is fourteen years old

Aye, and it doesn’t even have to be anonymity.
It can be under a regular, if false, name - like Tom.

I’ve seen a good counterpoint that it’s less anonymity that fuels the fuckwad theory and more a lack of consequences.

Today, Dark Horse is pleased to reveal the next comics series installment in the Berger Books imprint! Writer Christopher Cantwell, co-creator/showrunner of AMC’s critically acclaimed Halt and Catch Fire, and artist Martín Morazzo (Nighthawk, Elektra, Ice Cream Man) will unite to tell the strange and poignant tale of the Flying Woman in She Could Fly. They are joined by Miroslav Mrva on color.

The extraordinary story of She Could Fly begins in Chicago, when an unknown woman, flying at speeds of 120 miles per hour and at heights reaching 2,000 feet, suddenly dies in a fiery explosion mid-air.

No one knows who she was, how she flew, or why. Some think it was a government program. Some think it was foreign surveillance. Some think it was all fake. Some are even convinced that it was a religious, transcendent experience happening on earth.

Luna Brewster, a disturbed 15-year-old girl becomes obsessed with learning everything about her while rumors and conspiracy theories roil. Will cracking the secrets of the Flying Woman’s inner life lead to the liberation from her own troubled mind?

The Black Monday Murders #5-8, the second arc of the series, took almost a year to come out. Like with most Hickman books this must be a really difficult book to keep track of issue to issue. But, read back-to-back like this it is fascinating stuff, thoroughly captivating, and impossible to put down. Given the subject matter (infernal manipulation of financial markets) I don’t think it’s going to be for everyone, but for those of you with an interest in this sort of thing, it’s a typically well researched and executed Hickman book, producing a believable narrative even with the supernatural elements. Tomm Coker’s artwork and Michael Garland’s colours are beautiful too - the book is gorgeous to look at.

Layman shared some C2E2 pix.

John Layman, Nick Pitarra, and the rarely-seen Mike Garland.

Writer dudes.

NickPitarraTorturesGeoffDarrowC2E204112018

Nick decides neither he nor Geoff Darrow need to draw any more.
(Nick’s into arm wrestling; a genius decision for an artist.)

Ya. Layman hung out and went to dinner with us (second picture). I’ve chatted with him here before a long time ago but it was the first time I’d met him in person. Seems like a nice guy.

We kinda bonded around losing cats on a previous incarnation of this board. Kept in touch with FB. He travels a lot and has fantastic pix. Now he’s with Nick and Mike who are also friends (not the follow sense, the chat about stuff in life sense - I do seem to have a knack for talking to folks).

Also, when he complains about some weather, I know what’s headed my way the next day!

Meanwhile, MW alum Declan Shalvey has been having quite a week.

This came out today:

Quoth:

Hey all, The DEADPOOL VS OLD MAN LOGAN collection is out today! Written by myself and brilliantly illustrated by Mike Henderson, it’s a funny and BLOODY buddy story with a grudge. Final book is so much better than what I could have hoped for, I still can’t believe I got to WRITE a while mini-series for Marvel.
Anyway, make sure ye pick it up!

Only 69p on Comixology today.

We now know why Ryall quit IDW

Insofar as I always expected Skybound to expand more than it did, this is good news. Honestly, a lot of what could vastly improve Image’s, uh, image would be to break the line into imprints. I don’t know if they could do it by editor or some other measure, but just being able to identify them by something other than themselves, because it really does seem like a vast faceless landscape of uniformly “indy” projects, except of course the few titles everyone knows.

What does skybound have?
Walking dead, Invincible (finishing soon?) and Outcast. Anything else?

I guess more soon?

They have Kirkman’s new one too, plus Joshua Williamson’s Birthright and a handful of others.

The Solicitations for July 2018 thread is up and running with:

AC Comics, Rebellion, Scout, and Yen Press

Mon. update: have added Antarctic and Archie

Solicitations for July 2018 (w/Previews text)

IDW are doing a Kickstarter for a wrestling anecdote graphic novel by Jim Cornette (with Brandon Easton writing).

Some of the high-end backer goals let you appear as a character in the anecdotes, though the promise of getting “the artwork” of your appearance is a “framable print”, not the actual original art page, which is a bit of a cheap move for $1000.

It’s only 60 pages too, which seems incredibly short.

Super quick round up of books I read over the weekend.

Crude 1 (Image) - Art wise, this is pretty bland. Storywise, it’s also pretty dark. It seems to be a murder/revenge tale with lots of anger and bubbling under the surface which seems odd as in the back matter Orlando says the book is not about anger. I was initially going to get the next issue but have since changed my mind.
The Dead Hand 1 (Image) - I know @ChrisS liked this and I’ll admit the final page reveal is intriguing but for me it was just another run of the mil Image new release. I don’t mind spy stories but mixing that with silly ‘costumes’ isn’t my thing.
Cyberforce 1 (Image) - More Matt Hawkins and it’s a stinker. I don’t think I’ve read any Cyberforce since they did that free series so I wasn’t sure where the story or the characters were at but this seems to be a complete reboot. The art is also not that good.
Cold War 1 (Aftershock) - The name Chris Sebela rang a bell (I couldn’t remember where from) so I gave this a try. Incoherent nonsense. Waste of money.
Dark Ark 1 (Aftershock) - How many monthlies does Bunn write? Seems like about a million. This was actually pretty cool as it tells the story of the ‘other’ ark. You know, the one with all the monsters on. wtf? Juan Doe’s art is a perfect fit. Interested to see where this goes.
Days of Hate 1 (Image) - I’ve not read any Kot books before this but I might check out if people can give me recommendations. This felt like I was reading a Brian Wood book and he’s one of my faves so that means I enjoyed it.
Fu Jitsu 1 (Aftershock) - Indiana Jones meet Einstein in the form of a boy with superior martial arts skills. At least I think that sums it up. To be honest I got a bit confused but I enjoyed what aI read and I’ll be back for at least another issue.
Kaijumax Season2 1 (Oni) - Best new series of the last 5 years? Maybe.
God Complex 1 (Image) - Boring futurist science stuff from the hit and miss Paul Jenkins.
Jazz Maynard vol.1 1 (Lion Forge) - This espionage thriller has a 100 Bullets vibe both in writing and art and although doesn’t hit all the notes, did enough for me to consider getting the next issue.
Monstro Mechanica 1 (Aftershock) - Hot damn there are a lot of words in this book. That being said most of them are pretty useful, at least in explaining the story, background and establishing characters. It’s kind of an ‘Assassin’s Creed book’ and deals with renaissance conspiracies, Da Vinci super science. It also features cracking art from Chris Evanhuis.
Gideon Falls 1&2 (Image) - Definitely some interesting stuff going on here with regards to the story (it feels like it would be a great tv show) but the vertical scratchy black outs by Sorrentino really put me off. Pretty sure this is a new style in his art and I’m not a fan.
Oblivion Song 1&2 (Image) - This is more like it. I really dig the art and the story is developing nicely. Just enough hints have been dropped about the disaster, characters have been established and threats are emerging. Good stuff.