millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

https://www.newsarama.com/43916-khary-randolph-brandon-thomas-bring-their-excellence-to-image-comics-skybound.html

1 Like

One thing I think I should admit is I should chime in a bit more on this thread, but then I would have to admit my “To Read” pile is past scary.

But this board’s recommendations carries a lot of weight with me, more than anywhere else on the 'net.
Those that contribute here should be thanked.
It does not go unnoticed.

Anyways, I just got an e-mail from Amazon.ca (Canada)

We’re sorry to report the release of the following item has been cancelled:

Liu, Marjorie "Monstress Book One"

Although we’d expected to be able to send this item to you, we’ve since found it won’t be released after all. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience we’ve caused you.
We’ve cancelled this item from your order.
Your order is now closed.

Sure enough the Amazon.ca solicit is “currently unavailable” but seems to be the only one.

The Amazon.com solicit has it being released July 9th,
as does Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com.au

What gives?

4 Likes

What sometimes happens on these OHCs, Black Magic is an example, the date keeps getting bumped. In response some booksellers will prefer to cancel the order because they have no new date.

Equally, weird stuff happens from time to time. We should get confirmation of it being set in either the April or May solicits as the big OHCs tend to be advance solicited by a month or two.

Have to reply on a couple of your other points:

Join da club.

Awww, thank you.

5 Likes

Image solicits for May

Dark Horse for May

2 Likes

From Ed Brubaker’s latest email:

Have you been keeping up with comics news the last few years? What are your thoughts on the state of the market right now?

I normally avoid questions like this, because my comics career now is doing one or two comics regularly, neither of them for Marvel or DC, so depending on what you think of as “the comics market” I may or may not be part of it. But yeah, I have been following the news about the state of the market because obviously I love comics, and I know it’s been harder for a lot of the retailers the past few years.

DC has announced they’re trimming their line way back, which I actually see as good news. In my opinion, the biggest problem in the industry the past few decades has been publishers over-saturating the market and pushing their own readers away. It’s been an ongoing problem with comics since the 80s or 90s, really, but now it seems like it’s reached the breaking point and publishers might actually be starting to listen. But I remember a call from a publisher about eight or ten years ago who had just launched a licensed comic to huge success, and his first thought was to flood the market around it with spinoffs, to cash in quick. My advice was not to do that, to just focus on the one successful book and try to nurture that audience. I mean, this is really obvious stuff. Instead, they pumped out a half-dozen spinoffs no one wanted, and killed interest in the character within six months.

That’s the industry in a nutshell, and it’s only been getting worse the past ten years - since Disney and Warners got involved. So my hope is that the market is finally forcing them to stop the flood, because from what I hear, many stores have decided to curate what they stock more than ever (the shop I go to probably doesn’t even carry 20 DC comics on the shelves anymore). We’ll see how it goes, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed, and me and Sean have renewed our contract for another five years at Image, so we will be continuing to put out our books no matter what.

I did not realize DC was trimming their line.

8 Likes

Seriously, it feels like they’re adding to their line to try to get all of my money especially the Superman books.

5 Likes

I just skim through the DC section of Previews and it doesn’t feel like and significant reduction in titles is happening.

It could be the cancellations are coming and Ed got wind of it.

1 Like

DC have gone to mini series on a lot of books, a switch I’ve noticed recently

Also. I think we will see all of the Age of Heroes books cancelled soon

They have streamlined green lantern to 1 title, when it was previously 4, there’s less bat books out now as well.

I think Justice League Dark is allowing them to have a bunch of characters in the one comic, which seems the way forward for me. So no Constantine or swamp thing ongoings.

I feel like they publish a lot less titles than marvel and have a far greater quality control than marvel also.

That’s maybe my natural bias but I think a quick look at the writers and artists on DC’s books just now, and on their upcoming books, is vastly superior to the Marvel stable.

I find marvel previews stressful compared to DC

3 Likes

A quick check for May gives 56 titles
This is including
All ongoings
All mini series
All anuals
Vertigo
All events
All specials
All other lines including the wild storm stuff, young justice, kids books like scooby doo and teen titans go

It doesn’t include double shipped titles

That’s a lot less than what dc were publishing previously. In the new 52 they had 52 ongoings I’m sure. Not counting anything else like minis, Vertigo etc

1 Like

I agree with brubaker, the whole market could do with reducing the number of their titles

This applies especially to Image and Marvel

Image are just chucking any old shit out there just now. Their gems are becoming harder and harder to spot and personally I’m getting less and less likely to pick them up and try their new books.

1 Like

What is the title count for Marvel? How do they compare quantity-wise?

At my count, 76 titles - that’s not including double to quadruple shipping titles, of which they have quite a bit more of than dc from what I could see

1 Like

Pretty certain Bryan Hibbs has been arguing for less books for years too.

1 Like

I disagree with your assessment, Chris. Image provides opportunities for creators to release their books to a large audience, and apparently does not apply a heavy editorial hand with regard to genre or content. There is no “Image” style to which writers and artists are obliged to adhere. Granted, not every book they publish is a DEADLY CLASS or an EAST OF WEST or even a WALKING DEAD; but just as Image took a chance on those books, they continue to provide an opportunity for books like BITTER ROOT and COLD SPOTS and OUTPOST ZERO to find an audience and become as successful as those earlier books.

And it’s important to understand that each book Image publishes is a stand-alone. You don’t need to read Kirkman’s WALKING DEAD in order to understand and enjoy his OUTCAST or OBLIVION SONG or DIE DIE DIE. Each Ales Kot miniseries is completely independent of the one that came before and the one that comes next. I take a look at each new series or mini that Image releases, but I never feel like I need to buy them (unlike the old days when I felt like I had to buy every X-book that Marvel released, for fear of missing out on an important continuity event).

But, yeah, DC and Marvel should seriously consider paring back their lines, for the health and longevity of the industry.

3 Likes

I agree that Image does provide opportunities, and for a while that was good. But I feel they’ve flooded the market with a lot of average books in the last couple of years, and continue to do so - making it difficult for people to wade through to the good stuff, to the point where they just won’t bother.

I think they hit a sweet spot where the books they were providing a platform for were a large number of creators moving from marvel and dc, to do their own creator owned stuff, with a balance of books from less well known creators.

I don’t think they have as good a balance recently and I’m finding the hit rate of their books to be lower than it used to be.

And whilst it’s true that that their model is one that allows the reader to take or leave their books, I’ve gone from picking up trying every first issue of every new image book, to just picking up creators I want to read or concepts that really interest me, because I feel there’s been an awful lot of run of the mill books, particularly by the lesser known creators.

1 Like

The Solicitations for May 2019 thread is up and running with:

Image, AC Comics, Archie, Dark Horse, Valiant, and Yen Press

2 Likes

7 Likes

It’s a stylistic choice! (The moustache that is).

4 Likes