millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Comic book movie kings

So I was wondering the other day which comic creators have had the most success in being adapted for the big screen. As Marvel and DC adaptations are such a mix of the work of so many creators I am ignoring those and looking at stuff that’s more clearly individually created (so bad luck for Stan Lee, Kirby, Chris Claremont etc) . So I came up with:

Mark Millar: Wanted, Kick Ass 1 & 2, Kingsman 1 & 2 - 5
Alan Moore - Constantine, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, LoEG, From Hell - 5 (Constantine arguable by my rules)
Frank Miller - 300 1 & 2, Sin City 1 & 2 - 4
Daniel Clowes - Ghost World, Art School Confidential, Wilson - 3
Dave Gibbons - Watchmen, Kingsman 1 & 2 - 3

I am being a bit English language centred here, there are anime adaptations and stuff like Asterix too. I feel I may be missing out someone obvious.

(They need to at least be in production, for example Millar has loads of stuff optioned but Kingsman 2 is a done deal with a trailer and release date).

You say arguable, but I think nah…push Moore down to a 4 count. He didn’t even originate the series the movie took an arc to adapt from. Too removed.

Eastman & Laird comes to mind too.

Alright, here are two other contenders (I was writing this as @RobertB swiped me damnit):

Eastman/Laird: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1-3, TMNT, Bayturtles 1-2) - 6
Kazou Koike/Goseki Kojima (Lone Wolf and Cub 1-6) - 6

If you count Constantine, you really should count Civil War and Old Man Logan probably Avengers and Captain America: The First Avenger too.

Man, those have more of a claim to Millar than Constantine does to Moore if we are being real.

I can think of quite a few people with just one book or series adapted, but those who have had more are a lot trickier to come up with.

If you look to Japan there’s a ton. There are like a dozen Tomie movies, a ton of Dragon Ball movies, Fist of the North Star, Naruto—it’s almost not fair.

I dunno man, it is almost unfair to include those because the animated manga adaptation is it’s own separate genre over there.

It’s something that I wish happened in the west too. I think that a lot of comics could be better adapted as animation rather than live-action.

I suppose John Wagner has 3 if we include both Dredd films and A History of Violence.

Not sure why you disagreeing, I feel like those are nearly the exact words I ended my post on. :thinking:

(EDIT- The Tomie films plus the Uzumaki ones are not animated)

I meant more in the “if you look at japan” thing, since it’s apples and oranges in that way.
I know about the Tomie ones, I’ve seen a couple, just didn’t know how much there are.

A lot, but mostly crap and I think they stopped getting theatrical releases eons ago.

EDIT: Just checked his wiki page and Ito has had 21 film adaptations of his work.

Well, there’s your king.

Some are animation. The most recent was this one which I did not know existed (the comic was nuts).

It also had an OVA adaptation, unless that is the OVA? If it is, it wasn’t very good.

Neither was the manga.

(I won’t hijack Gar’s thread any longer)

I don’t really agree as there’s a character creation there rather than a loose adaptation and I was swayed by the fact that DC paid him a royalty.

It is really an amalgam though since they used an Ennis story as the base so better to remove Constantine than open a can of worms on any possible influences.

To simplify the anime confusion for the sake of this list we will go with live action movies only. I’m not certain with a lot of the others how many got a theatrical release anyway when I was looking at Asterix films.

Eastman/Laird: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1-3, TMNT, Bayturtles 1-2) - 6
Kazou Koike/Goseki Kojima (Lone Wolf and Cub 1-6) - 6
Mark Millar: Wanted, Kick Ass 1 & 2, Kingsman 1 & 2 - 5
Alan Moore - V for Vendetta, Watchmen, LoEG, From Hell - 4
Frank Miller - 300 1 & 2, Sin City 1 & 2 - 4
Goscinny & Uderzo - Asterix 1-4 - 4
Daniel Clowes - Ghost World, Art School Confidential, Wilson - 3
Dave Gibbons - Watchmen, Kingsman 1 & 2 - 3

You don’t really need to count movie adaptations. There’s an element of luck involved in getting something developed. So many movies sit in development hell, the right set of circumstances never coming along.

I think it’d be interesting to do this with different comic properties. Millar has 24 I think. Who has more?

Sure but I think some have taken this in a more competitive manner than I intended. I don’t consider it makes anyone ‘better’ it was just out of a bit of curiosity when I realised Clowes had had 3 movies made despite being a bit of an outsider figure in comics.

On comic properties I’d nominate Pat Mills. He’s churned out so many different ideas for 2000ad and some other publishers I doubt I could count them all. Even at the moment he has:
Flesh
Defoe
Slaine
Greysuit
ABC Warriors
Savage

All in current runs plus a graphic novel vampire series in France. There are other guys in comics writing 7 series at a time, I’m thinking of Mr Charles Soule for starters, but I can’t think of another where they are all their own creations. Rick Remender probably comes closest at the moment in the US market.