millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Come here to grieve once the contest has concluded...

A month ago, when I 1st entered the contest I was so sure of my entry. Now, will the volume of submissions crashing the forum, I read over my script. I have to admit…I could have done better.

Next year, (since I’m assuming I’ve lost) I’m planning on writing out multiple entries and taking some time off to review and pick the one I like. As opposed to getting too excited and submitting something I could have done better on.

I welcome those who have failed to share their thoughts on failure with me and why they believe they lost. Note: At the time of this, the contest is still on and I’m being pessimistic.

Please, check your ego at the door, and lick your wounds on the floor.

@Fledgling, a small piece of advice:

NEVER GIVE UP!!!

It ain’t over till it’s over.

Nah, its over.

I’m already stocking up on liquor.

You never know. I won MTV Geek’s Stan Lee Presents the Seekers contest several years ago (Nothing ever came of it because the artist flaked -_-) but it took so long that I had completely given up hope. When they called to say I won the contest, I was like “Great! What contest?” I thought it was like from Denny’s when you drop your business card in a fish bowl and get a free lunch!

Artists bailing is common theme in my writing career.

Well if you’re paying for the work, let me know and I’ll give you an audition.

My usual M.O. is to revise a million times right down to the wire. The unfortunate side effect is that I hate the work and do not submit it. This time I wrote it, revised the beginning as needed to allow for more space at the end and turned it in to avoid the inevitable last minute melt down. Now looking back I really wish I would have held onto it longer. Don’t know what else I would do to it but at least the waiting would have been shorter.

Proud to join this League of Losers! Hoozah!

Couldn’t enter because I couldn’t download the submission form. That and I didn’t have any ideas.

Maybe next Annual.

I was actually kind of disappointed by the lack of character in most of the entries. Great technical work but not much stood out.

Don’t have any expectations. It helps a lot.

That’s disappointing to hear. I wrote a Hit-Girl short, and the most challenging part for me was trying to have my own voice while keeping her true to her character. Hopefully that didn’t mean it was bland. I’d love the chance to read through the others and see what other writers did with her.

After the contest closes people can share and put their pieces up for discussion (I wouldn’t do it before then). Our creative section here has put these things up for years and had some results with artists and writers going on to pro jobs, Nicola Scott maybe being the most famed of them.

Just bear in mind once you do it is all out of your own choice, there’s not much going back on stories being unique if you float them in a public forum. That aside we’d welcome people keeping engaged and as long as the annual idea works out okay preparing themselves for next year’s attempt.

This thread shouldn’t even exist right now as it’s still anyone’s game until Mark and his team make their decision. Instead of admitting defeat already, focus on the fact that you’ve actually got a story in on time, there will be people out there who won’t have/won’t at all.

That’s pretty good, right? You finished your submission (you had fun!) and you’re in with a chance of getting into a Millarworld comic :smiley:

Use that positivity and write something else. Ride it into your next submission. Keep going. That goes for if you don’t win, too. Not winning doesn’t necessarily mean your entry was rubbish, there was just a better story in the bunch (which given the number of entries is a possibility for any one, regardless of talent or experience!)

That’s a recurring piece of advice from successful authors, just keep writing.

If you think about it we expect in sport or with an electrician or doctor that they get better with the more practical experience they get. In creative areas there’s still an idea that instant inspiration may rule the day. It very rarely happens.

For comics writing Alan Moore, Grant Morrison took 10 years to make a proper living. Millar got published at 18 or so during a boom but lived quite on the breadline from what he made until the Authority a decade later.

Neil Gaiman even wrote a book about Duran Duran.

I shouldn’t have made this thread so soon. Just been one of those weeks where work has been wearing me out to where I can’t write at night. I’ve been practicing everyday for about 6 or 7 years. So, I expected myself to show a little more precision with my entry.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

The funniest thing is while the contest ends tomorrow the adjudication will take another month, we have 5 or so people looking at 1200 entries so far and none can do it full time. So nobody can truly grieve until Christmas Eve. :wink:

You couldn’t be more right…

Dosn’t matter I will start cry from today so I will be fine and congratulate the winners when the time comes :smiley: