millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Cinematography!

I know we had a thread on the old forum for cinematographers, so I thought I’d start one here.

I just saw that Roger Deakins has been confirmed for Blade Runner 2. So we know it will look good, at least.

I thought Skyfall’s fight scene with the silhouettes against the neon lights on the edge of the skyscraper had quite a Blade Runner feel to it.

http://cdn.filmschoolrejects.com/images/teaser_skyfall-e1343458570504.jpg

Also, that press release about Deakins confirms that Harrison Ford will reprise his role in the sequel - which I don’t think had been formally confirmed yet.

An excellent choice. There are a lot of really talented cinematographers out there now but Deakins is easily one of the best.

Recently, Rob Hardy’s work on ‘Ex Machina’ impressed me. It’s more 70’s cool than 80’s neon, and totally in keeping with the story.

I really need to see Ex Machina, don’t I? :blush:

It would help.

Skyfall was a gorgeous looking movie. Deakins certainly is one of the best DP’s working today. I’m also a big fan of Robert Richardson’s work. However I find older cinematography to be a little better looking. Possibly because the filmstocks required more light (I’m of the mind that for some reason the brain can detect volume of light - which is why greenscreened “daylight” scenes almost never look right.) or because of the massive amount of digital colour grading which make things, like turning every film into that awful teal-orange colour scheme too easy. Skyfall was a good example where a lot of thought and planning was put into sets in conjunction with the lighting dept. in order to make a great looking movie.

Deakins is great and Skyfall looked absolutely beautiful on a big screen, particularly the scenes in Shanghai and Macau.

For too long during the 80’s the director of the James Bond movies took the approach of focusing on the action scenes and shooting everything else like TV, which just made those movies look cheap compared to the sorts of movies coming out at that time.

There is a beautiful sense of texture to Skyfall and this is completely in keeping with the old Bond movies from 60’s - The cinematography on On Her Majesty’s Secret Service would be the other high point for me.

Has anyone seen the movie The Guest? Opinion is a little divided on the movie. I thought that it was beautifully lit and shot for a relatively low budget movie.

[quote]Douglas Slocombe, Cinematographer for ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark,’ Dies at 103

Oscar-nominated British cinematographer Douglas Slocombe, whose many films include several classic Ealing comedies in the 1940s and ’50s and the first three Indiana Jones pics in the 1980s, died
Monday, his family told Agence France-Presse. He was 103.[/quote]

Farewell you great man.

That’s sad to see, but 103 is a great age.
Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of my favourite films and the cinematography is one of the best things about it. The very first shot where it fades in from the Paramount logo to the mountain, the silhouette shots of Indy putting on his hat, running away from the boulder. Just great stuff through and through.
I don’t remember anything quite so striking in the sequels though.

Seriously. No tragedy there!

Indy aside it’s incredible that a guy who lensed a bunch of those Ealing comedies was still alive in 2016.

John Alcott would top my list but I’m a tad biased since Stanley Kubrick Is also my favorite director.

My overall favorite movies for cinematography are:

1. The Shining (1980)
  2. Night of the Hunter (1955)
  3. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
  4. Apocalypse Now (1979)
  5. Runaway Train (1985)

Raiders is my favourite film of all time. Slocombe did a lot of other great work too, but that film got everything right.

That’s a great list, although I would argue Barry Lyndon is better looking than the Shining, although I watch the Shining often and Barry Lyndon, not so often. Rarely in the mood for that one.

Barry Lyndon looks great but I find it uninvolving.