millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Christmas Books

What books (excluding comics) are you reading, or looking forward to reading over the Christmas break? I’m an editor, so most of my reading is for work (including at holiday times) but I’m hoping to get to read some books for pleasure for a change. I have a few ready to go, including Chris Golden’s Dead Ringers and Stephen King’s The Bazaar of Bad Dreams. And non-fiction, Richard Ayode’s Ayode on Ayode.

Over the last couple of years I’ve generally gone with something light and/or undemanding to get me through the days spent with inlaws and family. I really enjoyed the Christopher Moore books The Stupidest Angel (which also has the virtue of being a Christmas book) and Lamb. I also read a Jack Reacher book, the name of which escapes me but which I read in a couple of hours and passed the day pleasantly enough.

I am on a bit of a space opera binge at the moment. I’m currently finishing up Ancillary Justice (highly recommended). I’m planning to give the Star Trek Destiny trilogy a shot over the holiday season and then read Ancillary Mercy when I’ve finished those.

Let me know if that’s any good. The blurb on the cover for it was really funny.

I will probably be doing a lot of re-reading.

I am currently re-reading David Mitchell’s books after getting Slade House for my birthday a few months ago. As such, I will probably read The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet again.

Assuming it ever gets cold, I’ll also re-read some Sherlock Holmes, which is just something I do every winter. Basically I just grab a collection and read whatever stories whose plots I can’t immediately remember because of the title. This gets easier the older I get.

I’ve been postponing reading Dickens’ BLEAK HOUSE for years now, mostly because it’s about 1,000 pages. Maybe I’ll make that my New Year’s resolution.

Wow. 1000 pages of Dickens with the word bleak in the title? That sounds pretty damned depressing. :wink:

I love Moore’s work. I’ve read both of those (andI reviewed Lamb for SFX Magazine, back in the day.

Oh, yes - brilliant book!

I have a bunch of books I got for free throughout the year on my Kindle app that I haven’t gotten around to reading. I will probably hit those.

I’ve never read it either (despite loving Dickens). Let me know when you start and I’ll give it a shot as well.

I’m going to read as much of The New Annotated H. P. Lovecraft (edited by Leslie Klinger) as I can; I enjoy reading the Providence comic by Alan Moore and Jacen Burrows, and I’m eager to explore the prose fiction of Lovecraft in greater detail.

I’m currently enjoying Sci-Fi Chronicles: A Visual History of the Galaxy’s Greatest Science Fiction (edited by Guy Haley); I’m learning a lot about interesting SF works that I hope to explore further in 2016 .

Guy’s a great writer, too. I published his first novels and I’m his editor on a new novella series that starts early next year. Definitely a writer to keep reading.

I received this last year and enjoyed it. I have friends who really don’t like his writing but I suspect the footnotes might be engaging enough for them to get through Livecrat’s work.

Nothing too heavy over the festival period for me, I’m keeping it as light as possible. I’m really enjoying reading Carrie Brownstein’s (guitarist and singer of Sleater-Kinney + Wild Flag, star and creator of TV comedy Portlandia) autobiography at the moment, and I’ve got Steve Coogan’s ready for when I’m finished.

I’ve made it known to everybody I know that I would like to read Patti Smith’s new book, so I’m hoping somebody gets me that. I hope to god that nobody decides that due to my love of The Smith’s and Morrissey’s solo albums, it’d be a good idea to get me List Of The Lost, I wont allow it in the house.

In staying with the spirit of being so behind in reading such amazing works out there: I’m 3/4 through Civil War. Man, if there’s one thing I hate, it’s putting it down to take a pee!

That’s great that you work with Guy Haley! Please pass on my compliments to him; I’ll be looking out for his other work.