millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Casting Fantastic Four and The X-Men in the MCU

I’m literally saying I’ve read the comics, watched the films, and am supporting my argument with evidence from both. You’re the one claiming that the screenwriters have “stolen pretty much every interpretation Mark has had of these characters” (a characterization I doubt they would agree with even if they’ve cited Millar as an influence) and what I was directly responding to.

I’m not trying to have a fight, but you’re literally responding to me with “these guys said so” without giving any examples of how the MCU versions of the characters I listed seem to draw from the Ultimates characterizations or even pointing to an interview where the screenwriters “admitted” it.

I don’t need to read an interview when I’ve talked to them.

I don’t think anything I’d say would change your mind, and I don’t want to waste any more time in this.

Let’s just extend that limited understanding to “science in general” and I’ll agree with you :smiley:

Yes, the way they portray the nuke is silly. But the paranoia and the knee-jerk military reaction of the action – that’s played seriously, and it’s pervasive throughout the America of early FF issues. But of course, it was that kind of time in history. “Look, something we don’t understand!” “OMG shoot it. And make sure it’s with the biggest weapon. Show them how we have the best weapons, really great.” “Rightaway, Mr President.” Thank God we’ve moved on :slight_smile:

That is true, as I said I just read FF#1 last night and that does stand out. In the world everyone is incredibly aggressive and intolerant. They shoot at the Thing just for standing there, Johnny gets a missile fired at him just because he’s flying around and the Moleman goes to a job interview and gets told to his face he can’t be employed because he’s so ugly the sight of him would disgust everyone.

You’re reading it with your son, right? Does he pick up on any of this? Because I’m sure that when I was young it meant nothing to me, they were just reasons for exciting action. But when you read it as an adult, the dark undercurrent is blatant; you can’t read it and not see it.

I mean, it’s not like some small double-entendre in a Silver-Age Batman that may have been written in all innocence, it’s a recurring theme. Stan and Jack must have been fully conscious of the type of world they were building.

My son and daughter (aged 7 and 9). Not too much on the violence of the world but they were rather sensitive to how Moleman was treated like shit, certainly more empathy than Reed had.

My daughter loves the fact that (in those early issues) the Thing flies off the handle at the slightest provocation, and seems ready to smash anyone’s face in for the merest transgression.

I think it taps into that tendency for children (and teenagers) to be impulsive and act on their emotions rather than being able to be in control of them. I think it’s one of the reasons kids warm to it.

That’s amazing and not in a good way… you should force him to at least read some Starlin =P

I would certainly have the kids with the FF. The MCU already has the enigmatic tech genius in Stark (and now T’Challa). They already have the super smart science kid in Peter Parker. They already have the superhero team-up in the Avengers. They don’t have an actual family, which is the FF’s unique selling point.

I love the idea of them being elsewhere and now having to return to deal with Thanos, or whoever comes in his wake. When the story involves infinity stones there are a myriad of ways to do it.

I love the idea of a post-credits scene of a thin, handsome, 40ish man looking almost straight at us as he studies something. He gets a eureka expression and turns his head to talk to somebody offscreen, letting us see the silver patch in his dark hair on his temples. He shouts “Sue, I know how we can help them!” Cut to black. Coming Soon: The Fantastic Four.

look at the camera. “You realise I’ll have to terminate this Earth simulation and start again now, don’t you?”

Why would he want to torture Mark like that???

Is Stark enigmatic? Egotistical and showboating are more like it IMO.

And T’Challa isn’t a tech genius, his sister is.

True story: same thing happened to @Jim so that’s why he started his own business.

To be fair, looks are important in a coal mine.

Yes, I mean the the sister. Wakanda in general, really. The point being that any big focus on tech or Genius Reed for the FF doesn’t really mean all that much at this stage.

The MCU has no shortage of tech genius people, but it’ll still about the right person solving the right problem at the right time and that’s a character issue.

They’ll all see things their own way, Reed needs a distinctive point of view about problems.

When all else fails… berate your friends.

It’s funny because he loves Superman and that’s all cosmic stuff, but he’s got no entry point for Marvel cosmic. He loves the Guardians and he’s asked about them repeatedly (and his kids love them too) but you can’t really point him to any good Guardians comics. Prior to the movie they’re different characters, after the movie the comics have been mostly terrible.

Mark has said plenty of times he has no childhood connection to Marvel because he could only get DC comics when he was growing up (funnily enough down in Wales, and I’m only a couple of years younger, it was the exact opposite, DC was very hard to find and I read 95% Marvel).

He wrote a lot of their comics but most of us here probably know more of the history than he does. I have definitely read 10 times as many X-Men comics even though he has written a lot to my zero. :smile:

I’ve always wondered if part of Mark’s strength was no knowing anything about the characters. It makes them like new indie characters where he can do new interesting things with them. It gives him the freedom to ask ‘why does no-one mind control Wolverine so he starts killing heroes’ or ‘what would happen if all the heroes became zombies’.