millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Casting Fantastic Four and The X-Men in the MCU

This works, too.

Well, since the Cold War is back on, they don’t have to go back to the 60’s anymore.

You need to explain why they weren’t there when the Avengers movie took place though. (assuming they are mature and not Spider-Man’s age like they did in Ultimate FF) I think putting them in an alternate reality like the Negative Zone works.

I am not that familar with the FF so I’m not sure how the Negative Zone works, but maybe to streamline the story travelling there could also be what gives them their powers. Then their return to Earth could be them saving it from some threat from the Negative Zone.

I could see the FF spinning out of the aftermath of Thanos. The governments of the world are afraid of the intergalactic threats that The Avengers have led to Earth, so they start thinking of contingencies. Reed has an idea about instantaneous space travel that can be used to find new, potentially habitable planets that humanity can escape to if need be. They go on their first trip and get their powers that way, but are then kind of future pioneers, exploring unexplored worlds, maybe trying to find their way back to Earth. You could do Mole Man on an alien planet, that way you get the space travel and Mole Man all in one. I don’t know, I feel like there are a few viable approaches you could use with the FF to make them fun sci-fi adventure franchise.

That’s easy: They were off on their own adventure at that time. They left before and came back after.

I think you miss the point of it. The FF need experience and they need kids. Reed and Sue need to be married. They need to be experienced at what they do. Johnny and Ben need to be capable heroes. They can’t learn on the fly. And they fit into Marvel as the experts in universe threats just after Thanos almost kills everyone. Cinematic Marvel needs Reed to be in the front seat, Tony doesn’t know anything about aliens and Dr Strange isn’t the right person for the job. Nor is Thor who has his own people to worry about. And there’s no way the Guardians are becoming the Guardians of the Earth. Reed is the answer on how the Earth protects itself.

And the kids are essential as they’re the heart of the FF and what makes them tick.

Then have them leave in 2007 and return in 2021. Having them from the 1960s adds a whole lot of unnecessary baggage. You also need to be aware of the times we live in. Intelligence is held in high regard among young people. The level of creative youth is astounding and that is your audience. Give them peers they can relate to. About 15 years is all you really need to have them off the table and still accomplish what you want. Exploring the multiverse can adds some years if you need to.

Just don’t have them from the 1960s as it creates a unnecessary burden for the characters. It’s too much like Captain America and Star Lord. It sounds like they are already going to do something similar to Captain Marvel.

Really, the “missing years” isn’t needed. It’s an extra hoop they don’t need to jump through. They have been off exploring and doing their own thing. They can still have the family. It’s a needless complication that accomplishes nothing.

To be fair I’d never suggested they come from the space race era, just that they disappeared in the past and have been off defending the Earth for the past 10 years. Could be 1966, 1986 or 2006, whatever the writers want. With light speed you could have them been gone for 10 years their time but 30 our time. So long as Reed knows about the universe and has traveled about quite a bit.

I think the FF and their origin really works best in the early space age.

After a gajillion space shuttle missions over the past four decades, the idea of astronauts gaing super powers after getting zapped by cosmic rays just doesn’t seem as novel as it would have in 1961.

Also, when you bring them into the future (ie, current era), you can lampshade the fish out of water concept when Reed finds out about and falls in love with iPhones and the internet, and Ben is no longer seen as a monster, but is accepted and celebrated for who he is.

Plus, if you set in 1961/1962, you can have cameos by Howard Stark, JFK, Peggy Carter and her teenaged protege, Nick Fury. Throw in some funky retro Kirby machines, funky Kirby effects (those dots), and it’s like a cross between Star Trek TOS and Mad Men.

Well they’re flexible enough… you could have them be more modern… Like Todd suggested, having Reed & Sue be Musk-like characters still works. They should just change Ben into a soldier kinda guy, and have him travel with them for security, and Jhonny as the pilot (or just a castaway).

I’m not a fan of the kids, 'cause then it’s not really the Fantastic FOUR anymore and becomes more of an Incredibles thing.

But there are maaaaaaaaaany ways to do it right, that much is for sure. I’m still for the idea of having them stranded in the negative zone and have them gain their powers there. Also, Annihilus is a good character and having them stopping him from invading earth is a good way to tie many things up, even though it’s been done many times.

There is a space race going on today that puts the 1960s to shame. Instead of countries, it’s companies. The FF is perfectly suited to the New Millennium. Instead of just going to space, it’s about new propulsion systems and exploring and mining the solar system.

The FF get their powers when Reed’s propulsion system malfunctions and affects thembon a genetic level.

Isn’t Tony Stark already the MCU’s Elon Musk?

Though with Space-X, the Musk-Richards connection is obvious, but it already feels like they’ve already done that with Iron Man.

Nah, Tony kinda strikes me as Steve Jobs.

Yup. Reed would essentially be another Tony. Plus everyone will wonder where Reed’s been for the past decade. They had to work around Hank Pym, Dr Strange and Black Panther to explain their absence. There’s tight MCU continuity to contend with.

They’ll face the same problem with the X Men unless they make all the cast pretty much brand new mutants.

I’d rather the FF and the Mutants stay out of the Marvel Cinematic universe. I think they have more than enough potential separate. Especially the FF which is honestly just too weird and geeky for the Marvel Universe. The Avengers is essentially a sports team and that approach works for the whole group of films. Everyone is their own team. However, the X-men and New Mutants aren’t really a team. Hell, hardly the same people are in the films on a regular basis. The FF is really a family and honestly not one that focuses on protecting the world or looks to get into fights with villains. They discover new things and solve problems, but they are distinctly different than the Avengers who you expect to leap into a fight with both feet.

I think it’s clear there’s a certain amount of reinvention for most characters when they enter the MCU. It’s a more refined process than the Bendis & Millar approach. Each character is somewhat based on the original, but they add a big dose of new to make the character work. We have:

Surfer bro Thor
ADD Tony
Brooding in the past Cap
Socially normal Banner
Emotionally vulnerable Black Widw
Regular grunt Hawkeye
Hipster Loki
Slacker dude Starlord
Funny Drax
Emotional Gamora
Daddy Yondu
Baby Groot
Fragile Rocket

I’m sure there’s more but it’s late. All those takes are new, traits not seen in the comic characters before the movie.

Every other MCU movie is basically Iron Man all over again, so it wouldn’t be any different =P

I’m not saying they have to be beholden to it, but it seems odd that for the FF to work they need to ignore everything they were during the Lee/Kirby run, which wasn’t about having kids, being experienced/experts, etc. Part of the discovery/explorer aspect of the team back then was that THEY were discovering things for the first time and growing into a family as they were doing so.

Focusing on a relatively new FF allows for a lot of that conflict in the team to play out, whether it’s the rivalry between Ben and Johnny, Reed and Sue facing threats to their growing relationship, Sue questioning and discovering her role in the team, Ben still dealing with his anger at Reed and Reed struggling with his own guilt/complicity. Those are the internal conflicts that ground the team, and they play out on a backdrop of expanding the scope and possibilities of the Marvel universe.

Part of the problem is that we’ve already seen a lot of this with the first two GotG films, but I think grounding the team on Earth and giving them real lives that they leave periodically to deal with some new crazy thing Reed has discovered (whether that’s time travel, the Negative Zone, the Savage Land, Galactus, and such) would set them apart. Again, in the Lee/Kirby run we had Johnny in school, Sue pursuing a career, Ben trying to find a normal life, and Reed constantly pulling them back into being the FF.

I think the kernel of the story is in there. Not so much “Reed is really the bad guy” but “Reed is the real problem.” He constantly puts his obsession with knowledge and experimentation above the welfare of his friends and family, and they keep putting up with it.

So you want a movie about a superhero family trying to adapt to normal life, while the distracted father goes off and indulges in his hero work to such an extent that the family unit is put at risk, and they all get dragged into his superhero adventure, only for things to resolve themselves by the end of the movie and lead to the family finding a balance between their real lives and their superhero identities?

It sounds like it could work. Maybe they should get Pixar onto this.