millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Can anyone identify this creepy symbol?

A pal of mine is looking to buy a house in London and he found this place he really likes. But as he walked through the door he saw a super-creepy pentacle above the entrance and he sent me a pic. The only place I’ve seen this (what I think is Wiccan) symbol before identifying a witch is on Baphomet’s forehead, which is obviously slightly off-putting to a Baptist looking to buy a nice house. Is there a rational explanation for this?

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, there aren’t many people who haven’t used the pentagram as a symbol in one way or another.

The pentagram was used in ancient Chinese and Japanese religions to symbolize the five elements of life. In Japanese culture the symbol was also considered magical. Ancient Babylonian culture was also using the pentagram to represent various gods and religious beliefs of their own.

In Christian symbolism, the basic pentagram (without a circle) was originally used to represent the five wounds of Jesus Christ. It was soon supplanted by the symbol of the cross, but the pentagram was still recognizable as a Christian symbol for a few hundred years after Jesus’ resurrection. Some say that the continuous line was also considered symbolic of the Alpha and Omega.

Christian-influenced academia in Europe during the Enlightenment re-discovered Pythagoras’ interest in the pentagram, which contains the Golden Ratio. Pythagoras’ study went beyond mathematics, though, as he assigned the five ancient elements to the five points of the star: earth, water, air, and fire on the four lower points; and spirit on the topmost point. Depending on the mythology, this arrangement usually indicated the correct ordering of the world, with material things subject to spirit. The Free Masons and Eastern Star Organization have also used this Pythagorean pentagram, often adding their own symbols as well.

I think, without knowing more about the building’s history, it’d be impossible to draw a conclusion.

1 Like

It’s the mark of the Werewolf… :scream:

Actually, isn’t it a Freemason thing?

4 Likes
8 Likes

The good news is that the pentangle isn’t inverted, which rules out Baphomet and Satanists. Ther rams horns suggest it’s most likely to be mason-related; probably the home of a lodge. Do the letters W.W.C. represent that area of London in any way?

2 Likes

Assuming the 1910 is the date the symbol was installed, it’s not Wiccan, despite claiming a long tradition the term dates back to the 1930s, and was used as a term for a ritual at the time.

That particular style of pentagram isn’t linked to any specific occult tradition, though single point upwards is identified as left-hand path nowadays, which is the “good” witchcraft.

The other primary symbols on there are the pair of cornucopia. A quick bit of looking around shows no connection between them and any sinister occult practises. It’s even frequently seen on flags and insignia of different organisations and states, and is linked to the masons as well.

To hazard a guess, I’d say this guy was more likley to be a mason or similar rather than an occultist.

5 Likes

Simon’s right. It’s a Masonic symbol. It may have been a lodge at one point. If not, the letters will refer to the residents of the house.

You’ll see similar on old Presbyterian graveyard inscriptions. It’s usually associated with the five wounds of Christ.

It’s also something that’s incorporated into a lot of European heraldry.

8 Likes

The inscription above the symbol is Catholic, “Our Lady of the Chain”, so mix that with the Masons and it looks like a house with some interesting history.

And probably no evil spirits at all.

Probably…

6 Likes

Realtor at the start of Poltergeist…

“There’s probably no supernatural activity in this place at all. You’ll probably not get sucked into a TV or anything crazy like that…”

MM

9 Likes

Just so long as they moved the bodies…

1 Like

Maybe they were big wrestling fans. :wink:

A good portion of my dad’s family are Masons. The star looks vaguely Masonic but it tends to be inverted for their use. It’s possible that it’s something older than what I’m familiar with.

Edit: I did find it on this "Symbols of Freemasonry.

It also looks to be a bit like the sigil of Eliphas Levi. :wink:

3 Likes

[quote=“DrewEricsson, post:5, topic:10163”]
Ther rams horns suggest it’s most likely to be mason-related
[/quote]I think those are cornucopias; you can see the produce spilling out from them.

Where’s Robert Langdon when we need him?!

5 Likes

Symbology is not a science!

6 Likes

So according to that, pretty much every symbol ever known to man is masonic.

6 Likes

That’s what they want you to believe.

2 Likes

I think it has more to do with the Mason’s fascination with symbology and their willingness to adopt anything as their own. I recognize most of those though I’ve never seen 8, 9, 10, 18, 20, 21 or 25 used. Variations on 3, 7, 13 and 16 are most common as they represent Freemasons, Eastern Star (the women’s branch), Shriners (the charitable branch) and Scottish Rite (not sure what their significance was but my family was/is a part of it). Some of them seem to be just flipping symbols around.

1 Like

Do a historical search on the address. Maybe there is someone who did a study on houses in that area and there is some backgound on that house. Most likely the letters are initials. Isn’t 23 on that chart Hebrew or Jewish? Where’s Kalman?

Yes. It’s the Star of David. Though it’s used pretty prominently by Masons and others too. If you look at the main Mason symbol 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, it is actually embedded in those as well.

The pentagram has been used by everyone. This is most likely Masonic as others have said, the Orange Order use the pentagram like this to mark their lodges (though I can’t find record of lodge 1910).

Above the symbol is I think Madonna Della Catena, which is Italian for Our lady of the Chain, named after a cult kind of thing started in 1392. So it’s clearly Jesus approved - Satan’s contractors did not build this building!

3 Likes

I’d assumed that was the date it was built.

2 Likes