millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Bye bye 2016, hello 2017

Read in the voice of Alan Rickman:

Goodbye 2016, you will not be missed.

Alternatively…

For 2017? I think it might be time to return to drawing. Granted, I haven’t drawn a Star Destroyer in over a decade but I’ve the design in my head, so yeah, can pull that off, it’s like riding a bike.

Thought I was done posting this but:

Happy New Year, folks.

Let’s all try to make if a good one.

I am thankful to have survived.

Dear 2016,

Sincerely,

Todd

And that’s precisely why this has been a very good year, Anders. Take care xox

Watching the London new year fireworks on the TV. Love it that they opened with Prince.

Yeah, I fully expect 2017 to to be much like 2016. “Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.”" (Which also gives me a reason to post the song that’s from!)

Ah, but then that makes you not only a pessimist, it makes you a cynical pessimist!

Perception flows in part from information and a lot of the media still operates a ‘if it bleeds, it leads’ approach. But the other element is we have far more info flowing than before - 1666 was a shit year for London but how many people would have heard about the fire hundreds of miles away?

Darwyn Cooke
Steve Dillon
Jerry Doyle
Ron Glass
Carrie Fisher
Prince
George Michael
Brexit
Trump
Syria

(And, more I’m no doubt missing …)

2016 may not have been the worst year ever. But it sucked. Hard. Glad to see the back of it.

I’m trying to read your post Ben but I get as far as this and get distracted…

“The year 1916 was cursed, 1917 will surely be better” - the diary of Tsar Nicholas II

I am sure there have been a lot of worse years in human history, but with its combination of the war in Syria, Brexit and Trump winning, the de-facto-counter-coup in Turkey, constant terror attacks and the refugee crisis and the resulting European move to the right - it’s been pretty shitty.

Most of this crap was a continuation of 2015, of course, and in the same way there isn’t much reason to expect 2017 will be much better. In fact, what with how things have been developing, there is every reason to brace for a few hard years to come, until the world calms down a little again.

So, all the more reason to hold on to the good things in life. Enjoy the company of your friends, love the people you love all the more, be the best version of yourself you can be. Create something beautiful if you can, and if you can’t, support as many people who do as possible by reading novels and comic books, going to the theatre and the movies and doing all the other things that make life a richer experience. Engage in political discussion, and try to change the discourse to a more positive, embracing one that we all know can exist. Focus on the good, and bear the bad with calm resolve.

Let’s have a beautiful and inspiring 2017, everybody.

Christian…I wish I could like that post more than once. :smiley: