millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Brian Azzarello & Frank Miller's The Dark Knight 3: The Master Race

Here we go again…

At C2E2, writer Brian Azzarello took the stage late in the New DC Universe panel to tell the audience to close their eyes. Once they complied he had three letters for them to consider: “DK3” – thus confirming that “Dark Knight Returns 3” is in the works.

“For the past six months, I’ve been working with Frank Miller to bring the next chapter in the ‘Dark Knight’ to light,” he said. It’s been humbling. I’ve learned a lot, and I call him sensei. It’s a really, really big project."

I’m cautiously interested. I wonder who will be on art duties - there were rumors of a shared workload a while back.

Also, wasn’t Scott Snyder meant to be involved in this at some point?

The cynic in me wonders how involved Miller will be.

Press Release

DC Entertainment announced today that bestselling, iconic Batman writer and artist Frank Miller will write the epic conclusion of the celebrated THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS saga.

The “THE DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE” is the sequel to Miller’s 1986 classic THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS – heralded by TIME Magazine as one of the 10 greatest graphic novels of all time – and its 2001-2002 follow-up series BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN.

Miller will be joined by acclaimed writer Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS, JOKER, and WONDER WOMAN) on the eight-issue comic book periodical, to be published twice a month under the DC Comics imprint. Marking the 30th anniversary of THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS original series, this periodical is slated for publication beginning in late Fall 2015.

“Batman remains my favorite comic book hero and a sequel to Dark Knight is going to be daunting," said Miller, "but we’ll do our best.”

“We are thrilled to have Frank back home at DC writing Batman,” according to Dan DiDio and Jim Lee, Co-Publishers for DC Entertainment. “The story he and Brian have crafted is an astounding and triumphant conclusion to this seminal body of work which influenced and shaped generations of readers and creators alike.”

According to Azzarello, “It’s been an amazing experience collaborating with Frank these past six months. I think we have an epic story that these characters truly deserve.”

Artists for the project have yet to be announced.

Read the last line of the press release… :wink:

Thanks - that wasn’t up when I posted. :wink:

Maybe Jim Lee can draw it :wink:

Seriously I’m very interested…but if Frank Miller isn’t doing the art, that’s kind of a bummer.

And he’s sharing the writing too…

The cynic in me wonders how much involvement he’s had in it at all. Either way, DC knows that anything with DK and Miller’s name on it is going to sell.

Fantastic news!

I’m curious. That Miller is not writing and drawing 100% of the book may be more down to his health than any maneuvering on DC’s part.

I honestly forgot there was a sequel to the DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. I saw this and thought, “wait, what was DARK KNIGHT 2?”

I’m really not that much of a fan of Miller’s writing, his Dark Knight books are good stories but I’m sure with Brian Azzarello’s help it will still be great stuff. The art is another thing though, Miller is absolutely unique. It will be odd seeing someone else draw stuff in a Dark Knight book. I wonder who will be a good fit…

I’m seriously excited about this news, more excited than I’ve been at a comic related announcement in a long time.

I pray it turns out well.

Loved TDKR, appreciated TDKSA, and I think this is a good way to go to finish a story that took decades. Miller had strong personal reactions as the 9/11 attack happened mid-writing, ergo the destruction of Metropolis. The end needed 8-12 more pages instead of squished tiny panels!

As for artist, how about somebody like Greg Capullo? Walt Simonson would be perfect, but it’s a big project.

It might be cool to get some prominent Miller collaborators on art duties: Sienkiewicz, Dave Gibbons, Jim Lee, Klaus Janson… kinda doubt Mazzucchelli or Darrow would be interested.

Mazzucchelli would be the dream though right?

What do you guys reckon the plot will be like?

Nope. I’m certainly not going to read a book by current Frank Miller called “The Master Race”. Holy Terror was very, very bad. At best, I’m expecting Azzarello to fix Miller’s shortcomings.

At this point I can’t even believe that DC didn’t know exactly what they were doing by okaying this title. Which would be setting up a pushback that’ll in turn ignite the fans still there for present-day Frank Miller.

Azzarello really does have my blessing. I think he’ll clean up the dialogue and throw out any stupid ideas.

Why are we talking as if Frank Miller, the guy who wrote Year One, DKR, Born Again, Elektra, Sin City, Hard Boiled, Give Me Liberty, Ronin and 300, doesn’t know how to write a comic?

And is the title really something that warrants folk getting their knickers in a twist over, before the plot details are even released?