millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Brand new INTRODUCE YOURSELF thread

Was your daddy … Jack London?

That’s amazing. Welcome!

Thanks, no he wasn’t., lol. Just a guy who got board with one business and went on to something else.

Name: Aaron F

DOB : 10/11/94

Occupation: Student/Customer Adviser at certain hardware store.

Fave Comics Ever: Watchmen, V For Vendetta, Kingdom Come, The Dark Knight Returns, Wolverine: Old Man Logan, Blackest Night, The Walking Dead, Harley Quinn: Vengeance Unlimited, Batman: Hush, Batman: Time and the Batman, Under the Red Hood, Civil War, House of M, Superman: Red Son, ‘Whatver Happened to the Man of Tomorrow/Caped Crusader’ (Both are amazing in their own ways).

Last Good Comic You Read: Star Wars: Kanan.

Fave Movies Ever: The Godfather, Moon, The Shawshank Redemption, Reservoir Dogs, It’s Such A Beautiful Day, Empire Strikes Back.

Last Good Movie You Saw: Her (Made me fall back in love with movies)

What’s your Earliest Memory? I’m sitting at a dinner table in my high chair with a plate of fish fingers and ketchup. The Bananas in Pyjamas are on the TV, but it was at night so I don’t know if it was a VHS tape or I’m getting mixed up.

When And Where Were You Happiest? A few weeks back when I was having drinks with friends, I felt really content for the first time in a long time.

Name Your Ideal Dinner Party of 5? Mark Hamill, Stephen Fry, Peter Capaldi, Nina Simone, and George Carlin.

What did Your Parents Do? One works in a call-centre, other is a joiner.

How Do You Relax? Writing is surprisingly therapeutic; as is listening to my favourite music or reading.

Tell Us 3 Secrets About You: I once wet myself in a school assembly in grey uniform and I tried to convince myself nobody would notice. I have a severe feeling of disgust towards peas, mushy or otherwise - if a restaurant screws up the order and peas even GRAZE the Fish, I’m hesitant to eat it. When I was a very young boy I had a rocking horse that was dark brown with glassy, tacked-on eyes, and at night all it would do is stare at me and I had nightmares.

Just a friendly recommendation.
If you’re going to use that account to promote comics, I don’t think it’s a good idea to post political tweets. (If this is your personal account and you want to talk about “crooked Hillary” on it, don’t mind me)
But I was driven away by them because I thought I was following an account about comics and not politics I’m not American, but if this is a company and not your personal account, I don’t think most who follow you for comics would like this showing up on their feed, regardless of their political views: https://twitter.com/TyrantComics/status/738644289899503617

I don’t think Tyrantcomics has any idea about marketing at all, he spammed about 6 threads here with his Twitter link, most of which we deleted for repetition, and never came back to address any questions on his publishing concept even though he has his own ‘creative’ thread.

I can see that you were one of 2 people that bothered to click on his link.

So for anyone wanting to pursue a publishing or comics career, look at that example and do the opposite, you may well thrive. :smile:

I didn’t see the other posts.
But either way, I thought it might help him to know that he drove someone away because of his choice of tweeting topics. :relieved:

Wow. I’ve never seen a playground dressed as Mystique.

Name: Vince Pavey

DOB : 25th January 1991

Occupation: Theater Box-Office Staff / Call-Center Phone-Answerer / Writer

Fave Comics Ever:
Sonic the Comic, Doctor Who Magazine / other various Doctor Who ongoings, Star Trek by IDW, Amazing Spider-Man, Superior Foes of Spider-Man,Chew, Invincible

Last Good Comic You Read:
BOOM’s new Mighty Morphin Power Rangers series. Every issue feels how the show felt at its absolute peak. I really adore it.

Fave Movies Ever:
Star Trek: First Contact, Back to the Future II, Disney’s Aladdin, Galaxy Quest

Last Good Movie You Saw:
Star Trek Beyond

What’s your Earliest Memory?:
It’s either the time I got into the tub of cocoa powder with my little brother and we claimed we hadn’t – even though we were up on the countertop and had chocolate all over our faces, or playing Sonic the Hedgehog for the first time. It was a long while ago so I’m not sure which is first.

When And Where Were You Happiest?:
I like being in good restaurants with my other half. I always feel really happy in that situation.

Name Your Ideal Dinner Party of 5?:
Tom Baker, Patrick Stewart, Scott Bakula, Brent Spiner and Robert Picardo.

What did Your Parents Do?:
Gardener/Computer Repair Man and Stay-At-Home Mum.

How Do You Relax?:
I usually go out to eat, play videogames or sit down and watch some Sci-Fi.

Tell Us 3 Secrets About You:

As a kid, I used to pretend to be Sonic the Hedgehog and run laps around the block, pretending they were the levels. It was extra cool when they were doing some construction and I could pretend Doctor Robotnik had gotten up to no good.

As a teenager, used to think writing was something other, much smarter people did – that I couldn’t possibly learn to do it myself.

As an adult, I buy way too much media and don’t actually end up having the time to play/watch/read all of it. My backlog is intense.

That Sonic thing is the most 90s memory I can imagine. I love that!

MM

I am so sorry.

…It’s a living.

As long as it puts comic books on the dinner table.

I figured I’d start off with your cliched reality TV contestant, “I’m not here to make friends, I’m here to win!” But no that really doesn’t mesh with my personality. So hey, I’m like an aspiring comic writer, been writing for I think ten years now? Wow, Studied at University of Florida, wrote a comic about mermaids a little while back, working on this other cool project and hopefully I’ll get the attention of Mr. Millar himself and then we can be besties and he’ll show me all his rad moves? Ha, no, but then again maybe? I mean I’m no slouch when it comes to stringing a sentence together and I’m not half bad at directing a scene in the sequential art space. Also dipped my toe into the subject of comic studies a little, love comics from golden age to early silver age and I’m hoping to say some interesting things through this form. Wish me luck?

Best chance to hang with Millar is to be a flight attendant! The Glasgow-L.A. run, I should think! :smiley:

Mark is really busy, but never think he is not aware of all that goes on on this board. It’s his house, after all. Millar also loves a party, and getting folks together! He’s a lot like Lex Luthor, that way.

Have fun, hang out, talk to folks.

Millar is watching.

Always!

Name: Cesare E Tatarelli

DOB : May 1963

Fave Comics Ever: Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One, Miracleman, Kingdom Come, All Star Superman, Brian Hitch / Millar Ultimates 1 and 2. We3, Hitch, Quietly, Ellis Authority, Lazarus, go I could go on…

Last Good Comic You Read: Jupiter’s Legacy

Fave Movies Ever: The Godfather, Fight Club, Gladiator, Edge of Tomorrow

Last Good Movie You Saw: see above…

What’s your Earliest Memory? Flying over from Cape Town to Montreal and playing with a Flintstone’s puzzle

When And Where Were You Happiest? My second daughter was born, and I held the two of them…I can’t describe that feeling…

Name Your Ideal Dinner Party of 5? Scorsese, Coppola, Einstein, Evangeline Lilly, Edward James Olomos.

What did Your Parents Do? Mom…banking…the data side, Father, foreman…

How Do You Relax? Watching my favourite movies, reading about the non-duality of the universe!

Tell Us 3 Secrets About You: I wish I could wear my replica command tunic to work everyday, I used to steal change from my mother’s purse, I’m jealous of my life-long friend’s success in the restaurant industry

Got it. Fred Scorsese, Sofia Coppola and Elmer Einstein (from Jersey). And the other two.

Welcome!

Name: Paulo Ricardo de Oliveira Silva
DOB: August 8th 1989 (Brazil)

Fave Comics Ever: The Last hunting Kraven, Batman Hush, Wilds Cats smart street

Good Last Comic You Read: Civil war 2 # 0

Fave Movies Ever: Fight Club, Schindler’s List,
the Pianist, Little boy, Matrix, the Mask

Last Good Movie You Saw: The pets

What’s your Earliest Memory? My Grandmather …

When And Where Were You Happiest? when I moved to the city of my wife

Name Your Ideal Dinner Party of five? Harley quinn, Mary Jane, Gwen Stacy,
Poison Ivy and Spiderman

What did Your Parents Do? Homemaker and mechanical

How Do You Relax? PSP, Movies, Books

Tell Us 3 Secrets About You?
I would like to receive a letter from Hogwarts when I was 12 years old,
always dreamed to know the comiccon of San Diego,
I hope to meet Stan Lee, before I die, and shake your hand and thank you for having created spiderman.

I’ve started up a new twitter.com - twitter.com/sinfulspectrum - showcasing my own creations - fake 80s videogames, the likes of “David Essex’s Bare Knuckle”, “Terry Waite’s Escape from Tarmistan” and “Shakin’ Stevens’ Rock and Roll!”

Been posting here for a wee while now but never did get around to completing the Introduce Yourself form. Better get the HR out of the way now!

Name: Iain Robert Burnside

DOB : 30 January 1981

Fave Comics Ever: Transformers (Simon Furman and James Roberts stuff), Ultimate Spider-Man, Watchmen, Daredevil (Frank Miller, Bendis, Brubaker), Morrison’s New X-Men, Justice League International, Byrne’s Man of Steel stuff, Dark Knight Returns

Last Good Comic You Read: Mainly just been checking out some of the DC Rebirth stuff, of which New Superman has been the stand-out so far

Fave Movies Ever: Groundhog Day, Ghostbusters, Big Lebowski, Back to the Future, Spider-Man 2

Last Good Movie You Saw: Batman vs Superman. Just kidding.

What’s your Earliest Memory? Very vague early memory of being sick and getting tucked under a blanket on the couch while Superman saved a yellow school bus on the telly. I really wanted our buses to be yellow too.

When And Where Were You Happiest? When we took our wee baby home from the hospital and our wee toddler got to hold him with the purest smile I’ve ever seen on his face.

Name Your Ideal Dinner Party of 5? Vince McMahon, Bill Murray, Noel Gallagher, Louis CK and Queen Elizabeth II

What did Your Parents Do? Nurse and not sure!.

How Do You Relax? Not often at the moment! Some days there will be a window at the end of the day to veg in front of an episode of something or other. Luke Cage at the moment. Before kids, stuff like DDP Yoga or swimming.

Tell Us 3 Secrets About You: I think I met Mark Millar at a hotel bar near a convention many years back when I was a younger, drunker, dumber person and was a bit of a dick. Sorry, Mark! I’ve never bothered with any form of social media but I do have a super-secret Twitter account, since these days tweets appear to be the only way to get banks or train companies to address complaints. I did have a stab at writing comics back in the day and had some stuff drawn and published in teeny-tiny indy publications. Then I realised that I was too lazy/shite to keep pursuing it and now I play with spreadsheets all day.

Name: Ryan J. Engle

DOB : Dec. 27, '90

Fave Comics Ever: The Sandman, Y the Last Man, Ed Brubaker’s Captain America, Criminal, The Walking Dead, Transmetropolitan, Wicked and the Divine, Lazarus, The Massive, Fight Club 2, Superman, Batman, The Flash, Gotham Central, Nemesis, East of West, Saga, Injection, Descender, Star Wars: Darth Vader.

Last Good Comic You Read: I read the most recent issue of Jeff Lemire’s Descender, the new series by Brian Azzaro Lloyd, Moonshine, and I just started Ed Brubaker’s Velvet.

Fave Movies Ever: The Dark Knight, Spirited Away, Alien, Dead Poets Society, Lawrence of Arabia, Fargo, The Fall, Planet of the Apes, Bullhead, The Royal Tenenbaums, Pulp Fiction, Se7en, Pan’s Labyrinth, Bridge on the River Kwai, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, Heat, Sunset Boulevard, The Things Red Line, Saving Private Ryan, The Red Shoes, Requiem for a Dream, The Shining, Seven Samurai, Ace in a Hole, Silenced of the Lambs, Star Wars, The Usual Suspects, Before Trilogy, and Fisher King…I am sure I’m forgetting some…

Last Good Movie You Saw: Hell or High Water

What’s your Earliest Memory? When I woke up one morning and a puppy was on my bed kicking my face, the day my parents had brought home our dog.

When And Where Were You Happiest? Wherever I am building a strong relationship with a person, where I am writing and making complex characters, and when I am watching a great film.

Name Your Ideal Dinner Party of 5? Oh that’s hard. Robert Downey JR, George Clooney, Sam Rockwell, Martin Freeman, and Tom Hanks if I want to be entertained. Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg, Vince Gilligan, Aaron Sorkin, and Noah Hawley if I wanted to learn about film and TV. Robert Kirkman, Gail Simone, Mark Millar, Brian K Vaughan, and Neil Gaiman if I wanted to talk about comic books and literature.

What did Your Parents Do? My dad works on the tarmac for US Airways and my mom is a creative designer of sort for an office supply company.

How Do You Relax? I read a lot of comic books and watch a lot of films. My biggest aspiration in life is to be in charge of a writer’s room, so I spend a lot of time outlining and developing ideas for television and films, not just comic books. I find writing far more relaxing than most activities.

Tell Us 3 Secrets About You: These aren’t really secrets but I have never been in a relationship before, I had a speech impediment for most of my life up to high school, and also I am a follower of Christ first and foremost. Again, not really secrets, but things a lot of people on the Internet don’t know about me.