Comics Creators

Thankfully, with living in the North of Ireland, my fees aren’t the ridiculous levels they are in England!

That’ll help in that respect then.

Even so, do try and look past the course - that you’ve been working will help, because the skills needed to get and do a job are quite different to those suited to study.

Reason being there are more graduates than there are jobs and a degree by itself doesn’t open as many doors as might be thought.

Yeah, I think my work history will definitely help - I’ve been lucky enough to work in retail, hospitality and office based environments, and have held several positions of responsibility. So I think with a degree and a lot of transferable skills I’ll have an edge over those fresh out of uni with little work experience. (At least, that’s my thinking)

Yeah, you should. Well, I hope you do.

There’s a quite messed-up Catch-22 you should be able to avoid with all that:

• You can’t get a job without experience
  • You can’t get experience without a job

Yep, it’s quite a messed up system we have going on. Doubly unfair when students from lower income backgrounds can’t afford to do unpaid placements/interns that would help them break the cycle

I only escaped due to a then New Deal work placement for 6 months, that helped me get a 5-6 month temp contract, then Bin Laden fucked the world economy with 09/11.

And we’ll pay the price in perpetuity

Which economic mess did you have in mind? I mean 2001, then 2008, apparently another one’s inbound, depending on which economists you talk to.

There’ll continue to be booms and crashes with the system we have - but the crashes are a great way for companies to reduce wage/bonus/benefit spending in times of a shrinking economy, and never return them in times of growth. Wages still haven’t hit pre-recession levels.

Name: Michael Phoenix

DOB : 21/06/1983

Fave Comics Ever: Anything by the Millars (Frank & Mark)! And the Moore

Last Good Comic You Read: Tokyo Ghost

Fave Movies Ever: Gattaca, Matrix, The Fountain

Last Good Movie You Saw: Bad Moms

What’s your Earliest Memory? Falling down the stairs I think

When And Where Were You Happiest? When I was 6(?) and got my Snes SF2 pack for Xmas, first and last I think too unfortunately

Name Your Ideal Dinner Party of 5? Nietzsche, Bruce Lee, Einstein, Plato, Jesus

What did Your Parents Do? Teaching Assistant and Labourer

How Do You Relax? Punchbag, 40 minutes.

Tell Us 3 Secrets About You: I pick my nose often, I shower every 2-3 days, I once fell into water at a carnival attraction and was forced to wear a girls tracksuit until home.

Are we old-heads doing this? I got shamed, shamed I say!, by Ronnie last time.

Name: Martin Smith

DOB : 1987.

Occupation: Slightly morbid thoughts. Oh, sorry, thought it said preoccupation.

Fave Comics Ever: Usagi Yojimbo, More Than Meets The Eye, Exiles, Furman’s Transformers, Hama’s GI Joe, Spider-Man, Avengers, Incredible Hercules.

Last Good Comic You Read: The 70s flashback issue of Deadpool where he teams up with Luke Cage and Iron Fist to take on the White Man. Before that, reread the Fantagraphics Usagi run.

Fave Movies Ever: Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Transformers: The Movie, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Last Good Movie You Saw: Hunger Games: Catching Fire

What’s your Earliest Memory? Hanging out in my back garden when I lived in Devon, right next to an RAF airfield.

When And Where Were You Happiest? The summer of 1995, living on a half-closed RAF base in Lincoln.

Name Your Ideal Dinner Party of 5? Russell T Davies, Tina Fey, Louis Theroux, James Roberts, Richard Ashcroft

What did Your Parents Do? I really can’t say.

How Do You Relax? A simple night down the pub with friends, getting engrossed in a book or a video game. Playing with my dogs.

Tell Us 3 Secrets About You: I have ridiculously wide feet; I had about a ten year run without vomiting; as a kid I got pushed into one of those extra curricular programs for gifted children, but dropped out of it because it was incredibly boring.

Name: Fernando Lima

DOB : September, 11 - 1967

Fave Comics Ever: Don Rosa’s Scrooge McDuck, Valerian and Laureline, Neil Gaiman’s Sandman, Shazam!, The Incal series

Last Good Comic You Read: Scott Mcloud’s The Sculptor.

Fave Movies Ever: The Incredibles, Pacific Rim, Hellboy and the Golden Army, Superman, Unbreakable.

Last Good Movie You Saw: “Now You See Me 2”

What’s your Earliest Memory? My third birthday party. That was a cake in the shape of a windmill. I never understood that. All I wanted was a cake shaped like a cake.

When And Where Were You Happiest? Every time I’m surrounded with my friends and loved ones, just talking and being “silly”.

Name Your Ideal Dinner Party of 5? Will Eisner, Neil Gaiman, C.C. Beck, Neal Adams and Luc Beson.

What did Your Parents Do? House Wife and Engineer.

How Do You Relax? Drawing, Playing video games and walking in the park

Tell Us 3 Secrets About You:
I hate my work as a Journalist — people say I’m good at it, but I hate it anyway.
I only decided to learn english, because my uncle (he was an english teacher) had loads of sci-fi paperbacks and I really wanted to read all those books with those wonderful cover arts.
I don’t get why people love chocolate so much. It’s not bad, but it’s definitely NOT among my favorite food.

Name: Andrew Stewart

DOB : September 10, 1996

Fave Comics Ever: All-Star Superman, Marvels, Arkham Asylum, We3, and Walking Dead.

Last Good Comic You Read: I just went back to read Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean. What a trip. Hands down, one of the best books I’ve picked up recently is Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Black Panther… so good.

Fave Movies Ever: Blazing Saddles (and Young Frankenstein), Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Predator, Die Hard, Superman,and the Captain America films.

Last Good Movie You Saw: Captain America: Civil War

What’s your Earliest Memory? Falling head first out of a shopping cart.

When And Where Were You Happiest? Nerd Answer: When I went to a convention (my 2nd ever), and I got to hang out with a bunch of cool new people and met Kevin Smith. Real Answer: Hanging out with my folks recently for my birthday, I just felt content… like everything was going to turn out okay for this kid.

Name Your Ideal Dinner Party of 5? Mark Hamill, Grant Morrison, Stan Lee, Kevin Smith, and Ta-Nehisi Coates.

What did Your Parents Do? Everything from factory work to teaching to child care.

How Do You Relax? Reading, napping, walking around the city.

Tell Us 3 Secrets About You:1.) I have never read Batman Year One, despite buying a copy and having watched the animated feature. 2.) Even after all these years, I still can’t swim and have pledged not to even bother. 3.) I once met Neal Adams at the first con that I ever went to. I held up the line at his table just to shake his hand and thank him… walked away without buying a thing. Oops.

[quote=“AndrewMStew96, post:125, topic:7880, full:true”]
Name: Karl Reyes

DOB : July 18 1974

Fave Comics Ever: Dark Knight returns The Crow

Last Good Comic You Read:All you need is Kill

Fave Movies Ever: Bladerunner
Last Good Movie You Saw: Suicide squad

What’s your Earliest Memory? window panes

When And Where Were You Happiest? Nerd Answer:In a dark room staring at someone’s face
Name Your Ideal Dinner Party of 5? jack kirby frank miller ridley scott allen iverson and uma thurman

What did Your Parents Do? writer/editor(m0m) lawyer/vagabond/businessman(dad)
How Do You Relax? internet movies massage
Tell Us 3 Secrets About You:1.) I am clairvoyant(sometimes) 2.) I am living a strange script 3.)i stalked a basketball player when i was a kid

Name: Brion Salazar

DOB : Feb, 11

Fave Comics Ever: All the good ones

Last Good Comic You Read: See here -

Fave Movies Ever: Jaws, White Men Can’t Jump, Rio Bravo, Casablanca, Adaptation

Last Good Movie You Saw: For the Love of Spock

What’s your Earliest Memory? Writing my name in chalk on the sidewalk in front of my childhood home and the reaction my mother had.

When And Where Were You Happiest? Laying in bed with my wife ad kids watching some movie.

Name Your Ideal Dinner Party of 5? Alan Moore, Bruce Lee, Katherine Hepburn, Stanley Kubrik, Johnny Cash

What did Your Parents Do? Mom and Warehouse manager

How Do You Relax? Kickboxing and Jiu-Jitsu

Tell Us 3 Secrets About You: I’m an open book.

I’m gonna change my response to my Ideal Dinner Party of 5. Is that cool? No? Well I’m gonna do it anyway!
Lobo, Vanilla Ice, The Mad Arab Abdul Alhazred, Frankenstein’s Monster & Cthulhu.

We call no one “monster” here. His name is Fluffy.

Name: Valerie Finnigan

DOB: March 4

Occupation: I write, I edit, and I recently took up lettering. Retired emergency responder and nursing assistant.

Fave Comics Ever: God Loves, Man Kills, and pretty much Claremont’s entire first run on Uncanny X-Men.

Last Good Comic You Read: Subject to change every time I read a book.

Fave Movies Ever: Casablanca, The Secret of Roan Inish, and all the Indiana Jones and Star Wars movies.

Last Good Movie You Saw: 13 Hours

What’s your Earliest Memory? The house my family lived in until I was two.

When And Where Were You Happiest? My crew revived a baby that was nearly dead on arrival.

Name Your Ideal Dinner Party of 5? Whichever friend decides to join my husband, two kids, and me.

What did Your Parents Do? Engineer and teacher

How Do You Relax? Reading and spending time in the great outdoors.

Tell Us 3 Secrets About You: If I told, they wouldn’t be secrets, now, would they?

1. I took a medical retirement from emergency services after I myself was injured in a car crash and then could not return to full duty.

2. I’m one of only maybe three women worldwide who writes military comics, and I’m friends with the other two.

3. I’m trained in a variety of self defense disciplines.

Name: Luis Miguel Quevedo

DOB : August 21st, 1985

Fave Comics Ever: Batman: Year One, Suicide Squad run by John Ostrander, Spider-Man: Reign, Uncanny X-Force (Vol. 1) by Rick Remender, Batman run by Scott Snyder, Watchmen, Pax Americana, Y: The Last Man.

Last Good Comic You Read: Doom Patrol #1 by Gerard Way and Nick Derrington (yesterday, 9/14/16)

Fave Movies Ever: 1989 Batman, The Dark Knight, The Godfather, Snowpiercer, The Empire Strikes Back, Zootopia, A Bug’s Life, Toy Story 3, Mean Girls.

Last Good Movie You Saw: St. Vincent

What’s your Earliest Memory? Swiming with my dad at my Grandma’s pool. Very blurry, but I can remember it.

When And Where Were You Happiest? When I saw my wife at the altar, outdoors on a mildly comfortable Florida day.

Name Your Ideal Dinner Party of 5? A “boring” answer, but, my mom, brother, sister, wife, and I.

What did Your Parents Do? My dad was a pianist, my mom is a salesperson.

How Do You Relax? Catch up on reading my comics or tpb stack, make an early morning run on a Saturday to Donut King, replay any Super Mario Bros. game, watch a random movie off of the Netflix cue.

Tell Us 3 Secrets About You: (1) I tended to find cartoon and comic book characters more attractive than women growing up. (2) I often ponder what the transition from living to dead will feel like, can’t handle the unknowing, and then combat the feeling of a panic attack coming on. (3) I’ve been tempted to try beer, marijuana edibles, psychedelics, or other drugs. I’ve held off from doing so knowing I have an addictive personality; “know thyself”, you know? My sugar and coffee habits are bad enough on their own.

Name: Graham K Atkin

DOB: October 1978

Fave Comics Ever: Saga of the Swamp Thing, Lone Wolf & Cub, 20th Century Boys, Usagi Yojimbo, Elephantmen, Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Bone, Showa, Hellboy & anything Manhunter by Archie Goodwin.

Last Good Comic I Read: Kaijumax - Just, wow!

Favourite Movies: The Blues Brothers, Aliens, Terminator (1 & 2), Die Hard, Goodfellas, Princess Mononoke, Zatoichi, Oldboy (the original, of course!), Predator and Angels With Dirty Faces.

Last Good Movie I Saw: Midnight Special (honourable mention to Hunt For The Wilderpeople)

When And Where Was I Happiest: 1996 - 1998 when I was at college. I didn’t know it at the time but looking back it was the greatest and most important two years of my life. Changed everything,

Ideal Dinner Party of Five: Stephen Spielberg, Bruce Lee, Muhammed Ali, Alan Moore & Alec Guinness.

What Did My Parents Do: Cook and Electrician.

How Do I Relax: Comic Books - reading & writing… (Well, trying to write!), video games, travelling, motorbikes, MotoGP, UFC.

3 Secrets About Me: I tell my wife I don’t like spicy food but I actually love it! I intensely dislike most of my immediate family. I once wrote a letter to Marvel re: World War Hulk, complaining about their constant repetition and the fact I felt I was getting ripped off. I also name checked The Ultimates and Civil War (apologies Mr Millar)… Not only did they reply but they printed my letter in the back of Issue #4. Just look for my name. Oh, the shame!!!